Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fat Bike vs Beach Cruiser

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Fat Bike vs Beach Cruiser

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:10 am

Now that I’ve ridden my fat bike I’ve found it to be totally different than my beach cruiser. The hardest thing to remember is they have different brakes. I’m used to coaster brakes and my natural reaction is to back peddle. That doesn’t work with hand brakes.

They are both about the same length yet the fat is a lot taller. It puts me higher into the air and the seat is so high my feet can’t touch the ground. Glad it has the lower frame rail. My seat needs to go up another inch and that is going to make it worse. I need it raised so my legs get full extension.
D9E8F936-4D4E-4C25-8DF7-34EC767B22C4.jpeg
D9E8F936-4D4E-4C25-8DF7-34EC767B22C4.jpeg (409.81 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
The clearance when the peddle is at its lowest is a lot higher on the fat. With the cruiser I need to make sure the peddle is in the up position when I make a turn in that direction or it will scrape the ground. With the fat it’s not as critical.
B264618E-1DF8-46A3-9DDA-AD488D53FDC2.jpeg
B264618E-1DF8-46A3-9DDA-AD488D53FDC2.jpeg (443.47 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
I can climb a much steeper hill with the fat. Only problem is I’m peddling 90 mph and going 2 mph. The difference in weight is also very noticeable. The cruiser weighs about twice as much.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Fat Bike vs Beach Cruiser

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:23 am

The difference in helmets is tremendous. My old helmet was a Joe Brown motorcycle helmet designed in the 50’s. Mine was made in the 70’s and I used it for mountaineering. It’s been to the top of Rainier many times. It was made in North Wales and the new one was made in China.
9D61CC41-148B-4551-93BA-0E4758C35260.jpeg
9D61CC41-148B-4551-93BA-0E4758C35260.jpeg (325.85 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:36 am

The tires on the cruiser are big and people would often comment on how big they were. Yet they are small in comparison.
55E92C40-8720-49E4-BFEB-BD0C61396E3C.jpeg
55E92C40-8720-49E4-BFEB-BD0C61396E3C.jpeg (213.72 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
Cool wise it’s in the eyes of the beholder.
E7B1EB4F-61DA-47AA-AA29-FD078CDDDA04.jpeg
E7B1EB4F-61DA-47AA-AA29-FD078CDDDA04.jpeg (367.21 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
I behold the cruiser to be far more cool and people just plain liked it and commented on it. Time will tell how many will comment on the fat.
279E21A3-9F79-40D0-8550-B250973006A9.jpeg
279E21A3-9F79-40D0-8550-B250973006A9.jpeg (362.31 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
The caster is slightly more on the cruiser and at the end of the forks it extends further. This really allows it to go faster with more stability. I don’t feel comfortable going fast with the fat and even going slow it seems to want to fall over a lot easier. I have good balance and can sit on it stationary if I try.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:56 pm

Have not ridden a bike with tires that big. Well, I have not rode on a bike on a beach neither. I can understand the requirement for fatter tires. Below is a picture of what I have. I typically just ride around town or in a park. I like to do something to keep active. If I don't get a chance to ride, I try and walk some. As long as I am moving, I am good. Maybe one day, I will be able to add swimming as well?

Parkside.jpg
Parkside.jpg (78.08 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
Last edited by GFK on Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:14 pm

Gene, give it time. Riding a fat bike or even a modern mountain bike with 29er wheels is worlds apart from riding a beach cruiser.

Here's some tips.

There's no substitute for actual ride time. Reserve all judgement as to how the bike rides and handles until you've been riding for at least 30 minutes on any ride. You'll be amazed how differently you can feel after the first 30 minutes.

As for proper seat height, even an eighth of inch can be critical. I even notice the difference in the thickness of the soles of my shoes when I change shoes. Typically, I ride with the seat slightly lower for trail riding than for road riding. Even for road riding, though, my legs will still be slightly bent when at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Too much extension or too little can cause knee and hip problems.

Seat height, though, is part of the overall fit for the riding position you choose. Fat bikes and mountain bikes are NOT designed to be ridden fully upright like beach cruisers. Fully upright is actually the least efficient way to ride as far as accessing your body's pedaling strength, not to mention being there least aero and the least stable for steering. You don't have to go full tucked down in a super aggressive riding position on the fat bike, but you will need to lean more forward as you pedal than with the beach cruiser. If you try to ride the fat bike like the beach cruiser, you won't be happy.

Wheels and tires are the very heart of a fat bike. It's where all the performance tweaking is done on a fat bike. Those Vanhelga tires are designed as all around trail tires with fairly aggressive tread in loose sand or for soft snow riding. Rolling resistance on hard surfaces, then, will be moderate, which is another way of saying they are not an especially fast rolling tire. if you want something a little easier rolling for summer riding, there are other tire choices.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:57 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:14 pm
Gene, give it time. Riding a fat bike or even a modern mountain bike with 29er wheels is worlds apart from riding a beach cruiser.

Here's some tips.

There's no substitute for actual ride time. Reserve all judgement as to how the bike rides and handles until you've been riding for at least 30 minutes on any ride. You'll be amazed how differently you can feel after the first 30 minutes.

As for proper seat height, even an eighth of inch can be critical. I even notice the difference in the thickness of the soles of my shoes when I change shoes. Typically, I ride with the seat slightly lower for trail riding than for road riding. Even for road riding, though, my legs will still be slightly bent when at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Too much extension or too little can cause knee and hip problems.

Seat height, though, is part of the overall fit for the riding position you choose. Fat bikes and mountain bikes are NOT designed to be ridden fully upright like beach cruisers. Fully upright is actually the least efficient way to ride as far as accessing your body's pedaling strength, not to mention being there least aero and the least stable for steering. You don't have to go full tucked down in a super aggressive riding position on the fat bike, but you will need to lean more forward as you pedal than with the beach cruiser. If you try to ride the fat bike like the beach cruiser, you won't be happy.

Wheels and tires are the very heart of a fat bike. It's where all the performance tweaking is done on a fat bike. Those Vanhelga tires are designed as all around trail tires with fairly aggressive tread in loose sand or for soft snow riding. Rolling resistance on hard surfaces, then, will be moderate, which is another way of saying they are not an especially fast rolling tire. if you want something a little easier rolling for summer riding, there are other tire choices.
Thanks. I do need more seat time. The rolling resistance on the fat is considerably more because of the tire pressure. Chris told me I might want to go with a tubeless in the winter so I can run even less pressure. He also told me to ride it as much as I can this summer so this winter I will know more about how I want to ride it and where. This bike was made for this area as I have miles and miles of trails to ride it on.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:33 pm

I've run fat bikes tubeless and with tubes. From a performance point of view, tubeless is definitely the way to go, but also know that going tubeless means more maintenance, because you will need to add more sealant from time to time to keep the tires holding air, plus sealant can clog up valves, so you may also need to do some maintenance there. Gong tubes is less hassle, but fat tire tubes add a lot of weight and the biggest issue in the winter is pinch flats if you of too low on the psi. Keep in mind, too, that just going from inside a warm house to outside the house in winter cold with your fat bike is enough to drop the pressure in the tire to cause a pinch flat with a tube. Ask me how I know. :)
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:54 pm

That’s kind of what I’ve experienced driving long haul from 80 degree California to sub-zero Montana and back. Fill them to 110 pounds in 70F and they are 130 pounds running on the freeway then down to 80 pounds in the cold north.

Right now I started another phase in the backyard and I get a one track mind. It’s hard to be a gardener, farmer, shooter and biker.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:15 pm

Makes a good case for cloning. :)
1 x