Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

An Upgrade to the Leather Bench

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: An Upgrade to the Leather Bench

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu May 12, 2022 4:21 pm

Back out this this morning and got to work. I set up the jigsaw and cut the slots to the predrilled 3/4" holes for the tools to hang in. Slow and steady got the job done. Clamped the shelf board to the work bench for an easy job of it. Couldn't use the bandsaw due to the length of the board.

04 jigsaw cuts.jpg
04 jigsaw cuts.jpg (170.39 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

After that step was completed, I set up the router (Gah) with a 1/4" roundover bit and rounded over the edges of the holes, the slots, and the faces on the shelves and the vertical sides to be. Smooth and steady so it looks neat.

05 routed edges.jpg
05 routed edges.jpg (180.5 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

Next I set up the long BAR clamps to use to hold the assembly of the shelf.

07 bar clamps.jpg
07 bar clamps.jpg (210.77 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

I offset the clamps so that we have access to the shelves to drill for the screws. Before beginning, I remeasured to insure I had the spacing on the shelves correct, and then marked the spacing and predrilled the countersinks and pilot holes in the vertical sides. Then painted the inside of the vertical sides in the marked areas with glue. Assembled and clamped then drilled and screwed. Tapped plugs into the countersinks to hide the countersunk screws.

06 mounted screws hidden.jpg
06 mounted screws hidden.jpg (103.49 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

Once assembled, screwed and glued, I added a backing to the top shelf section, and then we screwed the assembly to the tool bar I had built last year. It was ready to be put to use. It seems the new shelf worked out almost as planned. ONE tool, the 1-1/2 slot punch, wouldn't fit the section where I had planned to place it, but... it did fit the slot where the head knife was going to go so it will live there for now. I may just store the slot punches in the drawer as they are little used and very expensive. The head knife is a well used item. We'll see.

08 worked out almost as planned.jpg
08 worked out almost as planned.jpg (217.96 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

I may cut a scrolled back and sides for the top of the unit to make that top area useable. We shall see.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: An Upgrade to the Leather Bench

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri May 13, 2022 5:53 pm

Went out and got some work done in the wee hours since I couldn't sleep. I made some additional pads for the clamps that I use to clamp the leather when gluing up. Hand sewn, I made two sets.

09 making pads.jpg
09 making pads.jpg (192.77 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
10 two new sets.jpg
10 two new sets.jpg (194.24 KiB) Viewed 1483 times

After knocking that out, I glued the three pieces of the head knife cover together and left it to set up overnight, planning to sew it on the new machine this morning. That would be the Front panel, welt, and back panel. The cover probably would have worked without a welt, but I could foresee my trying to slip the blade in the cover, missing, and sticking it in my palm.. :shock: :evil: ... SO, I added a welt to give it a wee space. ;)

Came out this morning, After Coffee, Always, and sewed the piece together. My first time using the new machine for anything other than a test piece. I was happy with the result. I made a mistake or two, but most would never notice. :twisted: Just those of us who are picky.

The Front... Note the Shark Eyes Tina found for me in Her Shop. :mrgreen:

12 head knife cover front.jpg
12 head knife cover front.jpg (158 KiB) Viewed 1483 times

and the back.

13 and back.jpg
13 and back.jpg (168.55 KiB) Viewed 1483 times

The bench is beginning to look much more organized. The stropping board for sharpening and touch up is hanging on the right side of the shelf from a screw. The back up glasses are hanging on the left side, from another screw. Clearing the bench. I will fine tune this thing as I use it. ;)

14 organized.jpg
14 organized.jpg (216.48 KiB) Viewed 1483 times

This will be my leather working corner... and I will fine tune the corner.

15 my leather corner.jpg
15 my leather corner.jpg (205.36 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.