Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

An Upgrade to the Leather Bench

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

An Upgrade to the Leather Bench

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon May 09, 2022 11:15 pm

Before I start a new leather project, I have been meaning to do something about the disorganization of the drawer that contains most of my tools. I bounce the ideas around until the final plan is almost... well, final. :twisted: They never really are until the last screw is in place. But, I'd pull the drawer open and these things roll around and move and I'd have to look... frustrating, especially when you are on a roll.

s01.jpg
s01.jpg (210.55 KiB) Viewed 1943 times

So, I had some pine shelving board on hand, it was a matter of cutting it into a kit. ;)
I had a short piece left over from another job, can't remember what... but I ripped that into three 3" x 36" lengths to serve as shelves.
then I cut a 24" piece and ripped two 4" x 24" pieces to serve as the legs. The shelf will mount over the canted 4x4 that is the leather punch block.
I will put a luan backing on it to keep things from falling thru.

I have marked the holes for the lower shelf where most of the hand tools will reside. Some will drop in, but most will slide in slots, held in place by gravity. If the idea doesn't work I'm out a bit of pine I had on hand, although it WAS a very nice piece of pine, a bit warped, but not too bad. :) Should finish this tomorrow, depending on when the delivery takes place. Miss Tina ordered me something.

s02.jpg
s02.jpg (168.01 KiB) Viewed 1943 times

The "head knife" can't go into the rack though, until I make a leather cover for the blade. That's the one in the right side of the drawer with the fan shaped blade... wicked sharp. It's going to drop handle first/blade up, in the last hole on the right on that shelf. Don't want to lose any fingers. 8-)

Back at it tomorrow ...
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: An Upgrade to the Leather Bench

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed May 11, 2022 1:00 am

Quickie shot at the head knife cover. I wanted to work in the shop a bit this evening since I couldn't sleep and I needed this before the knife could go in the rack when it was done. I fiddled with the design, then drew it on a scrap of leather and cut it out.

cutout.jpg
cutout.jpg (176.32 KiB) Viewed 1922 times

Of course I decided to tool it. Since I had the new basket weave stamp, I practiced on the back side of the cover, or is it the front... with the design, it won't matter. Then, because I had said it could eat you, I gave the front side some teeth. This is supposed to look like a shark maw coming at you. Maybe after it's painted?

tooling.jpg
tooling.jpg (183.07 KiB) Viewed 1922 times

Have to drive three hours to the oral surgeon tomorrow. Two (or three?) Extractions. Bad crowns that have to come out and can't be redone. They will do implants later when the jaw heals. Miss T will drive me down, spend the time I am in surgery visiting with my daughter.... then drive me home again. Blows the day and I'm guessing the following day will be blown too. Maybe not.
1 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Wed May 11, 2022 7:45 am

nice, having a good bench makes a difference
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed May 11, 2022 10:14 am

What a great shop setup. I see you got that razor knife sheath finnished. Looks great!
Good luck with the oral surgery.😐
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed May 11, 2022 10:31 am

I had one of those extractions/implants and it wasn’t bad at all. And I’m a wimp for pain.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed May 11, 2022 7:49 pm

We left at 8 this morning and drove down, I always plan to arrive early. This way if I run into trouble along the way, I still make my appointment. Turned out I was about two hours early. Checked with them to see if they had a cancellation, you never know. :roll: It had happened. We went and grabbed brunch, got back thirty minutes before my appointment and I signed in. Tina and fiona hung out.

The doc saw me two hours late. :( But, once they got started, the xrays, prep, shots, and extraction took an hour. The extraction took maybe ten minutes, and all I felt was pressure. I'm sure I'll feel them (3) tomorrow. :evil:

We pulled in the drive about 6:30. Easy drive, mostly back roads thru Oklahoma farm land, just looong.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed May 11, 2022 9:14 pm

Pride of ownership in your tools, shop and workmanship. Always great to see what you're up to.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed May 11, 2022 9:31 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:49 pm
We left at 8 this morning and drove down, I always plan to arrive early. This way if I run into trouble along the way, I still make my appointment. Turned out I was about two hours early. Checked with them to see if they had a cancellation, you never know. :roll: It had happened. We went and grabbed brunch, got back thirty minutes before my appointment and I signed in. Tina and fiona hung out.

The doc saw me two hours late. :( But, once they got started, the xrays, prep, shots, and extraction took an hour. The extraction took maybe ten minutes, and all I felt was pressure. I'm sure I'll feel them (3) tomorrow. :evil:

We pulled in the drive about 6:30. Easy drive, mostly back roads thru Oklahoma farm land, just looong.
Through my own dental woes, Ibuprophen was my friend!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed May 11, 2022 11:09 pm

I couldn't work with any power equipment tonight due to the pain meds from the oral surgery, but... as I told Miss T, I could paint and apply finishes. 8-)

I went out to the shop to unwind from the ten hour trip to the dentist in Lawton and painted the one "shark" design and applied the brown dye to the basket weave design on the other. The paint and dye will require a second coat, and of course the dyed side will need the mink oil. Both sides will need a topcoat. The shark side will get "Googlie Eyes to complete the look. :lol:

Who says you can't have fun and be safe at the same time?

designs.jpg
designs.jpg (221.04 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu May 12, 2022 8:16 am

Couldn't sleep last night, so I went back out in the shop for a while. Gee, when I looked at the clock again, it was 1am. I had applied the second coat of paint and dye, burnished the edges on the two halves of the head knife cover, and antiqued the dyed half. Burnishing put cracks in the teeth on the bottom of the shark design, so Jaws will need a bit of dental work this morning, but we are looking good. ;) Once coffee time is done, I'll wipe off the excess antiquing and put the topcoats on. (You know, once Jaw's dental work dries.) :roll:

2nd coat of paint.jpg
2nd coat of paint.jpg (183.34 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
antiquing applied.jpg
antiquing applied.jpg (234.97 KiB) Viewed 1872 times

I also set up the drill press and used the forstner bits to drill the holes as laid out. I did NOT drill that first hole as I decided it was too close to the end of the board and might weaken the shelf when the frame was screwed and glued. This morning, I'll cut the slots marked with the jigsaw then set up the router. (groan, I hate that thing) and round over the edges of the slots and all the holes. I do this not only for appearances, but to reduce the wear and tear on the tools that will ride in the slots and rest in the holes. 8-)

s03 first cuts.jpg
s03 first cuts.jpg (62.53 KiB) Viewed 1872 times

I will also figure out the layout (If any) of the other two shelves as we might get as far as assembly today. Wow, that would be cool. I will have to get out and put some hinges on a gate for Miss T. Hammer drill thru a steel tube and bolt those in place. :twisted: More Power Arh Arh Arh...
1 x