Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Case for the Razor Knife

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

A Case for the Razor Knife

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri May 06, 2022 11:24 pm

Miss Tina picked up a new Razor Knife for the shop. The old one is hiding. Maybe at the barn, maybe at the coop. Maybe in the tool bag for the kayak trailer, somewhere in the house. She was going to Home Depot anyway, so I asked her to pick up a new one. When she came home with one, it was a fixed blade model, the sharp part, the cutty thing, the one that makes blood, doesn't retract. "Oh," said Miss T, "I didn't notice." :shock: "Ah, I'm the one that usually ends up bleeding." :?

Worse yet, the blade gets quickly dulled if not protected. I told her "No Worries, I'll knock out a quick case at the leather bench." I needed another project to fill my time. I have plenty. ;) This isn't going to be a belt sheath, just a case to toss in the work bag or the tray of tools going to the barn, stick in your pocket, or in the drawer when not in use. If it gets too beat up, I'll make another.

After an hour or so of work, I'll be ready to start the glue ups tomorrow.

01.jpg
01.jpg (145.07 KiB) Viewed 1829 times

Of course, there are still of couple of stages in the process. Welts, sewing, finish. But the bulk is done. :P

Like I said, just something I threw together. By the way, that basketweave stamp is new. I really like it. 3D.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: A Case for the Razor Knife

Post by Hatchdog » Sat May 07, 2022 9:36 am

Really like the variety of borders including the non-stamped plain one. Thumbs up!
0 x

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Sat May 07, 2022 10:50 am

That looks so cool!
0 x
I never take myself seriously....

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 07, 2022 12:49 pm

Back out this morning to work on the knife case. Started out by marking the spacing for the stitches. Used the two forks. I have a two prong and a four prong. I am trying a technique that will work if you are very careful every step. Space them exactly the same down both sides in the stitching groove. I made twenty marks down both sides.

02 forks.jpg
02 forks.jpg (200.58 KiB) Viewed 1808 times

I then used a 1/16 bit, the smallest I have, to drill the holes. Some will use the forks to punch the holes, but I prefer not to damage the forks. I may punch them thru to get the nice diamond shape just before I sew, even if it's lightly thru the opening on the outside. :twisted: Cheating just a bit?
03 holes.jpg
03 holes.jpg (182.57 KiB) Viewed 1808 times

There, carefully done, twenty per side.

04 twenty per.jpg
04 twenty per.jpg (149.31 KiB) Viewed 1808 times

Using the welt itself, I drew the boundries for contact cement, on the off side, I just left off the extra area.

05 contact boundries.jpg
05 contact boundries.jpg (118.36 KiB) Viewed 1808 times

Once the cement was tacky, I applied the welt, and then hammered it with the leather working hammer to insure a good adhesion.

06 welt.jpg
06 welt.jpg (192.33 KiB) Viewed 1808 times

Once that was done, I clamped it to set up and put it aside.

*** Note half the clamps HAVE leather sleeves, the others have a leather buffer under them to avoid marks on the leather.
I need to make a few more "leather booties" for the clamps, I use them enough.

07 clamps.jpg
07 clamps.jpg (198.77 KiB) Viewed 1808 times

In an hour or so I'll go back out and redrill the holes on the welt side, using the existing holes as a guide.
Then I'll burnish the top edge. That is done BEFORE folding, gluing, and sewing the case as you don't have full access afterward.
I will also stain the inside of the case, and then stain the outside. I think, for a change, I'll use the yellow dye.
Not too much left to do and this will go in the Done file.
There is a trick to insure alignment when you fold this puppy over...

Watch this space for more action.
Watch the HENRY Logo thread for Framing action.... :P
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 07, 2022 3:47 pm

Worked on the case again this afternoon. Got the sewing done by hand. Had to adapt the last three holes, but YOU wouldn't know. Secret. Lesson learned. :twisted:

08 sewn.jpg
08 sewn.jpg (101.29 KiB) Viewed 1803 times

Next up I dyed the edges after sanding them flat. Used the new block I made after seeing it in a teaching vid. It keeps you from accidently spilling the dye or paint and ruining a project. Most hobbiest use the little med cups or similar to paint or dye from to keep the larger containers closed. They are notoriously unstable and I have turned one over. NO more.

09 block.jpg
09 block.jpg (163.14 KiB) Viewed 1803 times

After the dye dried, I damped the edge, then swiped the edge with burnishing gum and burnished. Protects the edge grain and LOOKS much more professional. Like care on my knife case. (Okay, I do. Caught me.) :roll:

10 burnished.jpg
10 burnished.jpg (141.8 KiB) Viewed 1803 times

Antiqued the tooling, once it dries I can wipe off some or reantique until I'm happy. Then I'll apply a finish and done.

11 antiqued.jpg
11 antiqued.jpg (128.26 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat May 07, 2022 3:57 pm

nicely done .... looking forward to seeing the knife with its sheath
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat May 07, 2022 8:41 pm

Thanks for sharing so much with us, Marine. I'm a huge fan of yours.

I like your forum signature, I like your literacy, I like your relationship to your wife and the land, I like your woodworking and leatherworking hobbies, and I'm very glad you're here.

Really nice work on this sheath. Beautiful.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat May 07, 2022 8:58 pm

I will second what CT said Jim. You have a gift of a true craftsman whether its wood, leather or knives. I love the work you do and the case looks awesome
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat May 07, 2022 9:14 pm

Thanks for all the compliments folks, I really appreciate it. I know I am improving, but the floral carving is still way out of reach and I know I still have a long way to go. BUT, we can call this one case closed! :D I got back out and wiped down the excess antique, then applied a finish. It dried and I'm satisfied with the look.

12 case closed.jpg
12 case closed.jpg (145.14 KiB) Viewed 1784 times

I slipped the utility knife in for a pic as I know a couple of you wanted to see how it fit. The THING here is to have a solid grip on the case with your entire fist BELOW the edge. The blade is exposed in this knife and you wouldn't want to have a finger or two above the upper edge as you pull the knife out. :o :?

13 knifed.jpg
13 knifed.jpg (137.56 KiB) Viewed 1784 times

Turned out pretty darn good though. I'm happy. When it gets beat up, I'll knock out another.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun May 08, 2022 8:10 am

Nice looking sheath. You may call it a razor knife, we call them Bloody Marys.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater