Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another Leather Project

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Another Leather Project

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:01 pm

I thought I would give this a try, it didn't turn out too bad, but I need to go bigger if I want the logo guy to turn out better. I scanned the bumper sticker and .... then traced the scan.

00a.jpg
00a.jpg (94.62 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

Once that was done, I used a pencil to transfer my pattern to the wet leather. (Called "cased" leather.) I transferred everything but the circles around the logo. THOSE I drew with a compass to get them as perfect as I could.

01a.jpg
01a.jpg (182.58 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

Once the pattern was transferred, as carefully as I could, cut them in with my swivel knife. Then cut in a border after laying it out with the compass, and stamped a rope pattern.

03a.jpg
03a.jpg (228.2 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

Because of the Henry Colors, I decided to put an orange wash in the background of the logo. I didn't want to paint it however. So I put one DROP of orange paint on my plastic ice cream bucket top I use as a pallet, then spritzed it with water. I mixed it with the brush, thinned it to my liking and painted the background with this thin orange wash. A second coat gave me the tint I wanted.

04a.jpg
04a.jpg (184.14 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

Once the wash dried, I stained the piece with the medium brown dye and let it dry for a few minutes then treated it with Mink Oil. I allowed this to dry for several hours.

05a.jpg
05a.jpg (237.7 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

I came back in after that dry time and antiqued this piece. I will allow it to dry overnight and see how it looks in the morning. It's a first attempt. I think I need a bigger format to make the logo work for tooling. OR, a clearer start to trace.

06a.jpg
06a.jpg (225.52 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
Watch this space, I might give 'er another go.

** Yes, I know it ended up just a bit crooked. It's practice. My "Henry" guy looks like a zombie.
8 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Another Leather Project

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:35 pm

The more I look at it, the more improvements I see for the NEXT one. If anyone has a "sharper image" available, I would be grateful if you would share. :D
Practice makes perfect, and all I have is time. ;)
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:53 am

I thought it turned out great. Good idea with the Orange as it adds color and contrast.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:16 am

Looking good, getting detail on a face that small has to be difficult. He’s lucky to look like a zombie.
Maybe just letting the face be a silhouette would work better. Or work with much smaller tools.
But hey it is much better than I could do. Henry dude would just be a stick figure.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:13 am

I'll give er another shot. I really like the way the rope border turned out. Would a barbed wire border be better?
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:16 am

That is awesome! Great job marine!
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:00 am

Looks great! I think the rope border is perfect. It goes very well with th logo.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun May 01, 2022 12:24 am

AS promised, I am giving it another shot. I remembered my backlit tracing board and dug it out to start this process. I printed a slightly larger image, and taped the tracing medium down to the paper and placed them on the screen for tracing. Slow and steady wins the race.

2a c.jpg
2a c.jpg (161.81 KiB) Viewed 1985 times

I took my time and made sure each line was true to the original Henry Image. As you can see, even this just gives you a HINT of what the image should be. A lot will depend on the way I shade and stamp the leather. Could be another coaster. :o

2b c.jpg
2b c.jpg (147.7 KiB) Viewed 1985 times

I hope to begin working on the new leather project tomorrow, and am excited to see if I can bring this one to life.

Watch this space if you are interested. DON'T click here if it bores you, as this will be boring as all get out in that case. :twisted:
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun May 01, 2022 10:27 am

Boring HA! The only boring would be if I tried to do what you are accomplishing. I don’t have the patience or skill to do what you are doing so that makes following along with you that much more fun. Keep it up and I will keep “clicking”. :D
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun May 01, 2022 9:32 pm

Out in the shop this afternoon for an hour or so, and transferred the stencil to the new leather. This time I found an 8 ounce piece. (Heavy leather, like holster grade.) I cut it 7-1/2" by 13" so you'll have an idea how much bigger the new stencil is. I took my time and was as careful in the transfer as I was in the tracing. I also used the compass for the border of the logo as I did before.

2c.jpg
2c.jpg (143.7 KiB) Viewed 1949 times

A closer look at the logo, now that it's cut in. This let's us see the details of the logo in the outline. You can "see" it's a cowboy, a hint of a cowboy, but the effect of the cowboy will depend a lot on the shading brought out by the carving and stamping in the leather. Wish me luck here.

2e.jpg
2e.jpg (175.98 KiB) Viewed 1949 times

I was very careful as well in outlining the border here. This time, rather than square corners, I rounded them, as if they were laid out with a lariat.
I hope it looks good once it's tooled in with the rope effect. We'll soon see.

2f.jpg
2f.jpg (177.91 KiB) Viewed 1949 times

I may not get back out tonight, we had a busy day on the farm. Working on the calving pasture. We need to wean the calves off mom before they bring her too far down. Everything is getting so expensive, we can't afford to put up barbed wire to do it, so it will be electric.

05.jpg
05.jpg (288.69 KiB) Viewed 1949 times

We didn't set those posts today. :roll: We did those yesterday, but it wasn't too bad, we used the tractor to set them, pushing them down with the bucket. With one holding and one running the tractor we set 25 in just over an hour. The fence was run in two. We'll have power to it in a day or so, waiting on a couple things from Amazon. The calves will have a half acre and access to the barn, but not to mom. She can recover and Tina will be back to milking every day. ;)
2 x