Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another Leather Project

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Another Leather Project

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun May 08, 2022 7:42 pm

Had worked in the shop a couple times at rearranging and reorganizing making more space and more efficiency. NOW I finally got back at the frame part of the project. I didn't take pictures of cutting the angles and all that, but here is the Frame in the Band Clamp. (One time... at Band Clamp..) :o

2s.jpg
2s.jpg (182.07 KiB) Viewed 1926 times

I got that done, and then took some 1/8" luane and cut the back panel. It will hold and protect the leather. I haven't decided yet whether I will glue the leather to the panel. :roll: Most likely NOT.

2t.jpg
2t.jpg (91.07 KiB) Viewed 1926 times

As the details for the frame were formed with molding planes and not machined, they aren't perfect. In addition, I hate it when something I have hanging on the wall suddenly FALLs to the floor because the frame's glue let go a while down the road. I put the frame on the drill press, and drilled a counter sink with the 3/8th forstner bit, then a pilot hole for a nice long screw. Before I set each screw deep in the countersink I screwed it in and out of a block of wax to lube it, so that it slide sweet and gentle into the oak. I didn't want it to split my frame. Lube and a proper pilot bit and I was golden.

2u.jpg
2u.jpg (69.68 KiB) Viewed 1926 times

I knew I was going to plug the countersink, the only thing was, with what. Whenever I cut plugs with the plug cutters, I always make extras... so I had choices. Walnut, Oak, Mahogany, Teak....

2v.jpg
2v.jpg (203.6 KiB) Viewed 1926 times

I went with the walnut for a nice accent, however they are on the top and bottom edges so they are very unlikely to be seen. It's MY sense of aesthetics that makes me do things this way... :? I don't guess that's a bad thing. :lol:

2w.jpg
2w.jpg (151.19 KiB) Viewed 1926 times

Once the glue dries I'll come back and cut these flush with a chisel and sand the frame and stain and finish it. We are close folks... we are close.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun May 08, 2022 7:51 pm

Excellent Jim! Glad you decided to frame it! It is very deserving!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon May 09, 2022 10:16 am

That Henry logo leatherwork deserves to be framed. But… that framework also deserves to be framed. It’s a vicious cycle isn’t it? :lol:
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon May 09, 2022 11:16 am

Meh, it's my first real attempt at woodworking since my left hand started working again. The table saw made my butt pucker. :shock: It's dangerous when you're 100% and comfortable. Coming back after a year, I took the time to think thru every action BEFORE I did it, and said a little prayer after, glad I still had all my fingers and thumbs. The table saw, band saw, and router will eat things. :?

But... Thanks. More pictures real soon. :P
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon May 09, 2022 11:46 am

Back at it this morning after coffee. Gotta have coffee.
I clamped the frame to the bench and carefully, with a very sharp chisel held flat against the frame, shaved the plugs off even with the surface. I turned it and reclamped rather than try to shave at different angles. THAT never works as the frame will always move at just the wrong time and you'll dig in and pull the plug, or you'll nick the frame. :?

2x.jpg
2x.jpg (124.89 KiB) Viewed 1906 times

Next step was move the frame to a different position on the bench and clamp it in place to sand the edges smooth. Once that was done, I sanded the entire frame, and did what I could to match the corners where the Molding Planes didn't match them up. Those expert with molding planes will get consistent edges. I am far from expert. ;)

2y.jpg
2y.jpg (164.28 KiB) Viewed 1906 times

Once the sanding was done, I used the cut offs from forming the frame as test pieces to decide what stain or oil finish I would use on the frame. Always a good idea to create test pieces rather than go to the shelve, look at all the cans and go... Hmmm? I'll use this. Once it's stained, you can't take it back. You can only start over. :evil:

2z.jpg
2z.jpg (167.69 KiB) Viewed 1906 times

I stood back and looked at the test pieces and thought, "Hmmm. I'll go with THAT..." But, I sought a second opinion and took the pic of the test layout in to Miss T. She didn't hesitate and said... "Red Mahogany, second choice, Red Oak." Red Mahogany was my immediate choice and I went with that.

I applied a single coat of stain, wiped it away and let the stain dry. There was a glue spot blocking the stain, I sanded that away, and dabbed some stain. I let it all dry, then applied a second coat to the entire piece to insure we had even coverage. I think it will look pretty good. A couple hours drying time and I'll wax and buff it out. I use british bee's wax.

3a.jpg
3a.jpg (208.01 KiB) Viewed 1906 times

Nearly done.... just a few more steps before Assemble. (Johnny Five.)
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon May 09, 2022 1:58 pm

Can't wait to see the finished project!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon May 09, 2022 4:50 pm

Another trip to the shop and time to wax. The wax I use is a British Bee's Wax. Everyone always asks what it is, so here is the wax I actually use. I was getting it from Woodcraft, but I don't know if they still sell it. I bought three cans the last time I ordered it. I still have this 1/2 can and a full unopened can. It smells wonderful and goes a long way.

3b.jpg
3b.jpg (119.71 KiB) Viewed 1895 times

This pic shows the wax and the frame ready to go. Not hard to apply, it's very soft. Wipe it on, let it dry, buff 'er off with a soft cloth. I usually wipe on a second coat, buff 'er off again and then buff to a high sheen on a buffing wheel on the grinder, used ONLY for buffing the wax on wood. NOTHING else.

3c.jpg
3c.jpg (192.79 KiB) Viewed 1895 times

Here is the frame after two coats and buffing on the grinder. A nice sheen.

3d.jpg
3d.jpg (185.98 KiB) Viewed 1895 times

I did end up having to glue the leather to the backing board or the center of the panel puffed up and looked odd to me. No matter, it still looks good. The design is slightly off center to me, but hanging on the wall who's going to notice? :roll: Well, all you guys since I told you.

3e.jpg
3e.jpg (224.06 KiB) Viewed 1895 times

We are basically done here, I have a couple small housekeeping things to do. I have to mount a hanger, and decide what I am going to do about the securing of the back. Do I put two small tiny nails to hold her in place or a thin strip across two edges so it can be removed if need be? Meh, points to ponder. I have something ordered so I have a day or two before I stamp this project done.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon May 09, 2022 5:29 pm

Nice work! It turned out great. Let us know if Ya go into mass production! :lol:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon May 09, 2022 8:29 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:29 pm
Nice work! It turned out great. Let us know if Ya go into mass production! :lol:

Yeah?

Nope, not happening. :D
Next up, perhaps try a paddle holster for a Glock 26, or a molded mag pouch.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon May 09, 2022 11:02 pm

C'mon now!... :lol: :lol:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry