Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Recommended Book -- Five Years To Freedom

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Recommended Book -- Five Years To Freedom

Post by JEBar » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:52 pm

I was privileged to be able to say that Colonel James Nicholas "Nick" Rowe was a friend of mine ... Nick was a remarkable fellow, the only Army officer to escape from a Vietnamese prison camp ..... his bio can be seen in this link ===> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_N._Rowe <=== he's the father of the current US Army Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape (SERE) training program taught to high-risk military personnel (such as Special Forces and aircrews) and the U.S. Army doctrine which institutionalizes these techniques and principles to be followed by captured personnel .... SERE is taught at the Colonel James "Nick" Rowe Training compound at Camp Mackall, North Carolina (FT Bragg) .... his book "Five Years To Freedom" ===> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G5ZYEW/re ... TF8&btkr=1 is based on his time time as a prisoner of the North Vietnamese .... .... we have an autographed copy that is stored in our most secure safe .... frankly, from an emotional standpoint, its a hard book for us to read .... he was a great guy, a credit to our country
3 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Recommended Book -- Five Years To Freedom

Post by Cofisher » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:15 pm

Thanks Jim. I'll be looking for it.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Recommended Book -- Five Years To Freedom

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:43 pm

Nick was a great guy .... I used to work with his wife who is a long time friend .... he was assassinated while on duty in the Philippines .... no person or group ever took credit for it which caused most folks to believe it was someone or group collecting the bounty the Vietnamese Communists Party government had on him
0 x