Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Time for a new UTV?

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Time for a new UTV?

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu May 25, 2023 12:30 pm

Well, we WON'T be buying a boat... :lol:
Which we wouldn't have used anywhere near as much anyway....
We don't buy that much these days other than stuff for Tina's sewing hobby, or occasionally a tool for the wood/leather shop.
I was hesitant to spend the money and almost bought the entry level Ranger, but... old and broken... needed at least the heat... ;)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Thu May 25, 2023 3:52 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote: โ†‘
Wed May 24, 2023 9:43 pm
We did end up making the trade. As the projected repairs on the 2017 crept past $5,000 and the offer for the trade in value was Half of what we paid three years ago, we said, "Shake!" ;) This time we got the Crew cab version. I could have bought a cheap car for the cost, but it wouldn't have done the job we needed...
Im sure you will love it and it will do everything you want.
The car comparison is one of the things that puts me off them, its cheaper here in Aus to buy a Suzuki Jimny 4wd than a UTV with the comforts. The Suzuki is a car fully compliant with all safety standards, airbags etc, power windows AC etc even on the base models. Shorter and lighter than most UTVs. More power and better towing capacity. Downside is they are only available as a 4 seat 3 door wagon, with the rear seats in use you have zero cargo area, 2 up and the seats folded down similar sized cargo area to a lot of UTVs. If only suzuki would reintroduce a ute/pickup version.
Thu May 25, 2023 10:33 am
We looked at the Razor... Built for speed and stupid pet tricks. Not what we needed, but cool looking. Probably would have been fun, but not very practical for the farm. ๐Ÿ˜™
Uncle has one, as you said a very cool toy, he uses it chasing down feral hogs. First time he took me for a run we were doing about 50mph down a dirt road and he just veered off across the paddock at the same speed :shock:
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu May 25, 2023 4:01 pm

220 wrote: โ†‘
Thu May 25, 2023 3:52 pm
Wed May 24, 2023 9:43 pm
We did end up making the trade. As the projected repairs on the 2017 crept past $5,000 and the offer for the trade in value was Half of what we paid three years ago, we said, "Shake!" ;) This time we got the Crew cab version. I could have bought a cheap car for the cost, but it wouldn't have done the job we needed...
Im sure you will love it and it will do everything you want.
The car comparison is one of the things that puts me off them, its cheaper here in Aus to buy a Suzuki Jimny 4wd than a UTV with the comforts. The Suzuki is a car fully compliant with all safety standards, airbags etc, power windows AC etc even on the base models. Shorter and lighter than most UTVs. More power and better towing capacity. Downside is they are only available as a 4 seat 3 door wagon, with the rear seats in use you have zero cargo area, 2 up and the seats folded down similar sized cargo area to a lot of UTVs. If only suzuki would reintroduce a ute/pickup version.
Thu May 25, 2023 10:33 am
We looked at the Razor... Built for speed and stupid pet tricks. Not what we needed, but cool looking. Probably would have been fun, but not very practical for the farm. ๐Ÿ˜™
Uncle has one, as you said a very cool toy, he uses it chasing down feral hogs. First time he took me for a run we were doing about 50mph down a dirt road and he just veered off across the paddock at the same speed :shock:
We can't get Suzuki cars in the states as they pulled out of the market here. It's a shame because we owned a Forenza wagon several years ago and it was a great little car. We sold it when Suzuki pulled out as we knew parts would not be available.
Jake
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri May 26, 2023 5:16 pm

WE had joked about the Razor, the sporty, racing model that Polaris has. It's a two seater version of the UTV with 5 point harnesses and a healthy roll bar setup meant for speed and fun. It has a space at the back that could be called a cargo area, but it's not meant for work... the cargo area could hold a (small) cooler or a picnic basket. :)

We were back in the dealership today for another issue and I told the second in charge (The GM is in Alaska on vacation...) that I had changed my mind and would rather have the Razor. He said he could swap me even. :o Nope... I need the workhorse Ranger and the heat and ac... but this thing could be fun... and get you in trouble. It could JUMP the creeks....

:lol:

08 Razor 1.jpg
08 Razor 1.jpg (513.15 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
09 Razor 2.jpg
09 Razor 2.jpg (517.16 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
Razor 3.jpg
Razor 3.jpg (415.25 KiB) Viewed 1835 times

List price on this one is around $33,000 but with our history at the dealership, he said he would seriously swap us even.
They hadn't processed the paperwork yet. Ah.... no. Tempting, but no.

A friend of my daughter had one, they drove it in the river, took it mudding, to the sand dunes...
... did the things it was designed for. Rolled it. Three different times. :twisted:

Not everyone would push it to that limit, but then this guy wasn't a rocket scientist.
He didn't wear a helmet. He also stuck his hand out when he rolled it the last time instead of keeping them on the wheel, and broke his wrist and forearm. ;)
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri May 26, 2023 5:17 pm

Um... he thought HE could stop it from rolling all the way over. Doh.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat May 27, 2023 10:12 am

My neighbor lady recently sold hers. She had a 570 that was a single seat. It was a sporty little machine and was really cool looking. Her husband is in his 70โ€™s and is having back issues so they sold both this one and his quad as they donโ€™t ride with their club any longer.

Iโ€™m with you, a utility is more my style but those Razors sure are nice looking.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun May 28, 2023 12:57 am

If we didn't have the livestock on the farm to constantly support with feed and hay, I might have considered the Razor, or at least a General... the hybrid that's halfway between the Razor and the Ranger. A little of both. But neither the General or the Razor have enclosed cabs available. I gave the purchase a lot of thought and although a boat might have been nice... we will get a LOT more use out of the new Ranger, and the cost was about the same for the Ranger as the boat would have been. As I get older, I will still benefit from the Ranger, unlike the boat, which I might have found I was too old to enjoy... sooner than I would have imagined.
0 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:21 pm

We've got a six wheel Gator that we bought from the prior owners of our place. At first it was a fun thing, mostly just riding around and such. As time went on, it became useful for more and more, so I completely understand the "need" for these vehicles. The 6x4 Gator is kind of quirky, with some idiosyncrasies to get used to. It has no suspension aside from those big puffy tires, so it can be a little bouncy with no load. It can hold well over half of a ton in the bed, and I've tested that a couple times. On the down side, it has not much ground clearance, and I've gotten it stuck "high-centered" out in the woods more than once. When you engage the four wheel drive and lock the diff, it goes forward no matter which way the wheel is turned. A lot like a snomobile on asphalt. Mine has the 650 Kawasaki engine, and it'll only do about 30-35 mph, but that's enough for me. When we first got it, I commented on how it was pretty beat up, and a co-worker said that is exactly what I'd want for a vehicle like that, no fear of taking it anywhere since it wasn't too pretty anymore. He was right.
I've also added a Cub Cadet Volunteer to the garage. That is a 625 Kohler engine, has much more ground clearance, independent rear suspension (so much better ride), and also only does about 30-35 mph. This one has become the woods vehicle while the Gator is more for the fields and trails now. It has the full ROPS and the prior owner had mirrors mounted on the A-pillars, but my GF took care of those on her first trip into the woods with it.
Like others have said, more than a few neighbors use these around town, just put the orange triangle on and you're set.
After a while, you end up using these for just about everything.
I really like the idea of the enclosed cab and four seats, that may be the next upgrade for us.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:25 pm

When I bought the first one in VA it was just so I could run down to the mailbox or check the property. Gimpy ol man can't walk down the hill and back up. I bought it on my birthday, the wife had no problem with it. A month or so later, I look out and she's loading leaves into a wheelbarrow, and pushing them to the edge of the woods. :shock: I go out, back the little Ranger 500 up to the pile and we load them in the back. I drive them to the woods and pull the lever, dump bed dumps them. Repeat. :) All the sudden the wheelbarrow is lonely. The wife is hauling mulch, concrete bags, feed bags...

When we got to Oklahoma I bought the Ranger Northstar 1000 with the Cab. It's an everyday thing. To the barn, check the fencelines, we can spray the yard or fields. Yup, it's a workhorse. The new four door is a serious upgrade. :P
0 x