Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Time for a new UTV?

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Time for a new UTV?

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue May 23, 2023 4:08 pm

We got a good buy on a lightly used Polaris Ranger Northstar when we first moved to Oklahoma... and we have had pretty good luck with it. Had an issue last summer but the GM at the Polaris Dealership treated us right and got us going pretty quick. The Westie loves the thing.

Ranger on the road comp.jpg
Ranger on the road comp.jpg (597.24 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
fiona loves to go zoom zoom comp.jpg
fiona loves to go zoom zoom comp.jpg (442.41 KiB) Viewed 2031 times

I had called the dealer and told them I was bringing it in first of the month to get an overall servicing. Oil and filter, air filter, drive belt check/replacement (if needed), and have them look at the drive selector system. It has been stuck in 4WD. It can go in 1WD, 2WD, or 4WD, and for the last month the selector hasn't selected. Last night, I turned out of the drive and we got about a 1/4 mile and the check engine light came on and then she died. My neighbor has a UTV as well and he towed us home. I hauled the Ranger to the dealer and left it. We looked at the 2023 models, same style, the Northstar, but a crew cab. The newer models have roll down windows. I told the guy if they give us enough on trade with the old one, we'll seriously consider the new one. (When the daughter and her family come up we'd have room to all ride together, and we'd have a warranty.)

Rather than the Ultimate with the $4,000 Ride Command Dash Computer and power windows... we are looking at the Premium Version with manual windows (one less thing to break) and NO screen in the dash... don't want/need that anyway. It still has heat/ac.

The new one wouldn't have the fancy rack on the hood, but we have NEVER used it. It looks cool and all, but ... cool isn't worth $800. :lol:
If the trade in offer is too low, we'll fix whatever is wrong on the 2017, and keep driving. ;)
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Time for a new UTV?

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue May 23, 2023 4:09 pm

Of course if we go with the new UTV... no boat.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Tue May 23, 2023 5:01 pm

Cant see myself going down the UTV path, if I was considering it I would probably just find a good used suzuki stockman that they sold up until about 2000 here in Aus. Similar size to most UTV's but a proper little 4wd truck. Well under 1 tonne but with a proper tray and 500kg payload, Doors and roof can be removed, windscreen fold down if that's your thing. AC heater roll up windows etc were all standard fair. I think design rules and safety standards killed them in the end but given they sold for about 1/3 the current cost of a range topping UTV I am surprised they havent been returned to production for offroad/farm use.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue May 23, 2023 5:25 pm

Almost everyone here has one, or two, or three. Matter of fact I’m the only one I know that doesn’t have one. I want one but my garage is already overflowing. Maybe next spring when I have a new barn?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue May 23, 2023 9:52 pm

We use ours EVERY day around the farm. Hauling feed bags to the barn, moving the trailers around, hauling things to the various buildings, or just running the fences or looking for the cows or checking the creeks and the gates. I can't walk long distances. The Ranger lets me go nearly anywhere on the farm. Run up the road to the neighbors for coffee or to visit. Ranger. Run up to the post office a couple miles down the road, Ranger. Twenty miles into town... Take the Nissan. :lol:

Hate to commit to a payment, but the new UTV would have the full warranty, and we can use the extra room. Still have the option at this point to GO with the repairs to the old one, but it looks like we'll pick up the new ride tomorrow if the deal can be worked out... ;) You see almost as many UTVs and ATVs on the road here in our small town/area as you do actual vehicles. If you count tractors and farm equipment in with the UTVs, you see MORE of that than actual cars.... :lol:
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed May 24, 2023 1:36 am

My place is small enough that I don't really need a UTV, would be nice to have but can't really justify the cost. I have a Gorilla cart I can tow behind my Cub Cadet and it meets my needs. Actually I just added a ball hitch to my Cub so I can also haul my small flat bed trailer.

https://www.coastalcountry.com/products ... ricgor1016
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed May 24, 2023 9:50 am

dave77 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 1:36 am
My place is small enough that I don't really need a UTV, would be nice to have but can't really justify the cost. I have a Gorilla cart I can tow behind my Cub Cadet and it meets my needs. Actually I just added a ball hitch to my Cub so I can also haul my small flat bed trailer.

https://www.coastalcountry.com/products ... ricgor1016
I can see that for certain applications. The things are really popular around here. We have used the winch to pull deadfall off the fence or out of tight spots in the different wooded areas around the pastures. We have to cross the creeks in three or four places to run the fence lines and the banks at crossings are six to ten feet high and about 45 degrees. Even when wet, the Ranger 4WD handles it fine. Even with the snow and ice in winter, the heated cabin makes the 6am trips to the barn for milking are much safer, and more comfortable for Miss T.

axle deep c.jpg
axle deep c.jpg (313.07 KiB) Viewed 1990 times

We even used it to pull the building into place when we set the new Coop. :) We could use the tractor for some of this, but the tractor won't fit in many of these areas, and since it won't cross the creek we'd have to go around to the various pastures and fence lines by going out pasture gates and driving down the paved road... This pic shows the two gates going into the south pasture and the orchard gate. You still have to cross a small creek to access the North pasture after driving along the edge of the deep creek bank from the road gate.

02 pasture.jpg
02 pasture.jpg (428.63 KiB) Viewed 1990 times

North Pasture Panoramic View:

north pasture panoramic view 230507 comp.jpg
north pasture panoramic view 230507 comp.jpg (832.41 KiB) Viewed 1990 times

Lot's to run along and check....
1 x

PBSnooker
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PBSnooker » Wed May 24, 2023 11:58 am

I bought a Mahindra Roxor at the beginning of the year. Many states allow them on the road.
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed May 24, 2023 1:52 pm

Legal here in WA but with quite a few restrictions, such as only legal on roads with a speed limit of 35mph or less, helmets required unless it has a roll bar and seat belts and other such as brake lights, turn signals and mirrors, has to be inspected to be issued a on-road permit. Individual towns can also allow or not allow them.

I see quite a few in our town, one drawback is we are really one town but divided by a river and both bridges have speed limits over 35mph. One bridge is only 40 mph so I don't know if it's enforced or not, I go over it frequently and have not seen UTV's using it.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Wed May 24, 2023 3:49 pm

Plenty of them in Aus as well but for me they are sort of in between.
Not as good mustering stock as a 2 or 4 wheel bike, bigger and taller than a quad so cant get them in as tight spots. Not much room in the tub and not enough load capacity to be really useful carting hay or firewood etc.
If i need more than I can cart or tow with the quad I just take one of the 4wd pickups.
Im sure if I had one I would love it and find a use for it but looking at them from a economic standpoint I cant see anyway to justify a purchase. I cant see how one will increase productivity, my bottom dollar or allow me to do anything that cant already be done just as well with a quad, pickup or tractor.
0 x