Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

ATV's

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
Cattle Driver
Australia

ATV's

Post by 220 » Tue May 23, 2023 3:52 pm

Almost impossible to purchase a new quad bike here in Aus.
The federal government introduced legislation that came into effect the end of 2021 that mandated all new quad bikes sold must be fitted with rollover protection. Every Japanese, North American and European manufacturer withdrew there bikes from sale in Aus afraid selling them in one market with rollover protection would open them to liability for any injuries sustained here or other markets.
Chinese manufacturer CFMoto have stayed along with a few lesser known brands.
Second hand prices have gone insane, 2021 bikes with delivery miles are going for double what they were new. Well used bikes are just as bad. 5-7 year old Jap bikes going for the same money as a similar sized new CFMoto.

After 30 years the old Suzuki King Quad farm bike needs replacement, long term reviews on the CFmotos are non existent and I dont want to be forced into a side by side. Ended up paying triple what I would have paid 3 years ago for another old king quad yesterday. It is very rough having lived most of its life outdoors. Faded and cracked plastics, missing most of the bash protection, and of course a dead battery. Seller assured my it would start 1st pull, he lied it took 2 pulls to get it started :lol: Mechanically it appears fine, CV's drive shafts etc all look in keeping with the 5000km it is showing needs a lot of love but just might be a reliable farm bike. I do have a few spares and with a 2nd bike should be able to piece together a reasonable example. Have rebuilt the brake master cylinder, rear drive shafts fitted new cables fuel pump, pads and other bits and pieced to the old bike in the last year so plenty of parts that can be swapped across.

Have heard California is looking to introduce similar roll over protection laws, will be interesting to see what happens if they do. Aus was only about 3% of the global market for quad sales. I suspect California is bigger than that. Will manufacturers walk away again, if other jurisdictions follow is it the start of the end for quad bikes world wide or will manufacturers comply and we may see a return of new bikes in Aus.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: ATV's

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue May 23, 2023 3:55 pm

We are looking at a new utv ourselves, look for the post.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed May 24, 2023 6:23 pm

I hope your new to you bike serves well.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Thu May 25, 2023 5:27 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 6:23 pm
I hope your new to you bike serves well.
Hopefully it will, I really like the suzuki design, for what is now over 30yo it was well ahead of its time.
Fully independent suspension, they actually have a transaxle so rear diff and gearbox in one. Selectable 4wd, high low and super low range, front diff lock and 5 speeds. With the 3 ranges you actually have 15 gears and seem to be almost indestructible unlike the CVT nearly all the newer models are fitted with.
First job today is to tidy up the wiring, swap out the battery and get the electric start operating. Fluids and filters after that, one CV has a small tear in it, I have a full set of spare boots so will replace them. Swap out the bash protection and then look at what else needs doing before getting to the cosmetic stuff.
1 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Fri May 26, 2023 5:48 pm

Tidied up the wiring and dropped a battery in yesterday. Electric start is working, checked rear brakes, could do with a new set of shoes but adjusted everything up and working well. Drained flushed cleaned the fuel tank and put a bit of fresh fuel in. Improved the throttle response and seems to be running better.
2 x