Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ford AWD Transit 9 passenger van

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Ford AWD Transit 9 passenger van

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:53 pm

I’m thinking of buying an AWD passenger van and trading in my smaller FWD cargo van. Sometimes I need to transport more than one person and I also could benefit from AWD.

My Subaru is AWD and climbs the driveway hill in deep snow with no problem. My FWD cargo van struggles. I drove my Subaru to Florida with three people and it was too small for us and two weeks worth of clothes. Plus I would like to get out and go places with some of the local folks. No one has a vehicle that will seat more than five people.

I found one at the local Ford dealer that is similar to this one that is 400 miles away. The one in the link also has an insurance claim.
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1FTYE2YG6LKB31850
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Ford AWD Transit 9 passenger van

Post by daytime dave » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:08 pm

That's an awesome van. It sure looks like it's built for comfort too! AWD would serve your new location better. It looks like it also holds plenty of cargo at the back.
Why not.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:56 pm

That sure is a nice van. AWD as Opposed to 4WD however depends on your intended use. Each has their advantages. 4WD will be better in deep snow whereas AWD is better suited for slick already plowed roads. Both, of course are better than 2WD. Just my .02.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:58 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:56 pm
That sure is a nice van. AWD as Opposed to FWD however depends on your intended use. Each has their advantages. FWD will be better in deep snow whereas AWD is better suited for slick already plowed roads. Both, of course are better than 2WD. Just my .02.
I’ve found AWD is better in both situations although in deep snow neither are any good.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:40 pm

I have vehicles with both and I think AWD has slight advantage over 4WD. The computer system behind AWD dynamically routes variable power to the wheel(s) with the most traction. Especially appreciated on ice and very wet surfaces when the rotating traction control kicks in. Spooky the first time you experience it.

edit: mistook FWD as 4WD.
Last edited by Mags on Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:42 am

When you guys say FWD are you meaning Front Wheel Drive or Four Wheel Drive. I've never driven a AWD vehicle but have owned several 4WD and my understanding is that 4WD has better traction on snow than AWD but does not handle as well when cornering. I do know that with 4WD engaged on a not very slick surface the front wheels will "hop" when making a very tight turn.

I've never had one but if you want maximum traction get a 4WD with locking differentials.

Here's a couple articles explaining the differences.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... explained/

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/which-new- ... erentials/
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:40 am

dave77 wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:42 am
When you guys say FWD are you meaning Front Wheel Drive or Four Wheel Drive. I've never driven a AWD vehicle but have owned several 4WD and my understanding is that 4WD has better traction on snow than AWD but does not handle as well when cornering. I do know that with 4WD engaged on a not very slick surface the front wheels will "hop" when making a very tight turn.

I've never had one but if you want maximum traction get a 4WD with locking differentials.

Here's a couple articles explaining the differences.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... explained/

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/which-new- ... erentials/
FWD is front wheel drive and 4WD is four wheel drive. I’ve had several Bronco II’s with true 4WD and they could go anywhere with real snow and mud tires. They had the manual Dana 28 and Dana 35 lockers where you had to get out and turn the hubs. Wish I had them now.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:56 am

Mags wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:40 pm
Especially appreciated on ice
Nothing, short of chains or studs is good on ice.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:39 am

markiver54 wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:56 am
Mags wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:40 pm
Especially appreciated on ice
Nothing, short of chains or studs is good on ice.
No studs or chains allowed in Wisconsin. In the two partial winters I’ve not experienced ice like Seattle gets. The snow here is actually easy to get around on. My AWD Subaru has pure highway tires and it goes up my hill with no tire spin. The FWD van spins with aggressive snow tires.

Wisconsin uses brine to melt the snow and it’s common to see cars and trucks rusted all the way through. I wanted to save the Subaru for summer however I’m learning I can’t trust the FWD van to get up the hill. Sometimes it takes me two or three times with a fast run. The Subaru will make it to the top from a dead stop. I want another AWD vehicle.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:52 am

Yes, many states do not allow chains or studs. Just saying, in general, ice is ice and nothing short of chains or studs is going to help you. 20 years in Chicago taught me a lot. :o
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry