Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry. My 1968 pickup truck.

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Henry. My 1968 pickup truck.

Post by BMCTED » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:45 pm

clovishound wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:44 pm
Not sure what you mean by being "stacked". You couldn't put one on top of another for a lot of reasons. I remember sitting in front of one of them as a new loadmaster, hoping that the tie down I had put on it was sufficient to keep it from rolling over the top of me. I was a pretty much by the book guy, and never had a piece of cargo come loose. It's one thing for a 25 lb piece of luggage to come loose on landing. It's quite another for a 25,000 vehicle to come rolling down the cargo floor at you. I took my job seriously.
I'm not doubting you ... and you load guys know what you are doing, no doubt. A loose M35a2 at 30,000 feet could just ruin your whole day! :shock:

And I know I'm getting old ... but I just can't shake the feeling that shipping them was part of what was on their minds, like the multi-fuel engine, when they designed these things. That was the reason for the fold down wind screen, take down exhaust and etc.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read at least *something* along these lines, so I'm not throwing in the towel just yet.

I know they can be stacked. They did that back in WW2 with Jeeps and trucks. I'm going to keep digging around for post war M35a2 specific info.

post-6492-1247584641.jpg
post-6492-1247584641.jpg (116.32 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:30 am

They may have stacked them like that for ship, or perhaps, rail transport.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:13 pm

clovishound wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:30 am
They may have stacked them like that for ship, or perhaps, rail transport.
My guess is both. We shipped thousands of Studebaker trucks to the Soviet Union. I don't know anything about trains, but loose cargo on a ship is a real problem.

I'm calling off the search. I'm almost 100% certain I saw pictures of M35's being stacked and shipped by air, but I looked and couldn't find anything on it ... Maybe I dreamed the whole thing. If I come across it some day, I'll post it.

Hey, nice talking with you CH!
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:50 pm

Thanks for sharing your unique pick up. I rode in and drove a bunch of deuce and a half’s back during the twenty years that I wore od green every day. Good to see yours modified and getting work done for you. I miss those days and even the less than comfortable rides in the big green trucks. I must say that the deuce and a half did ride better than the five tons.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:47 pm

Hey there Seabee, I could have used you during the build. I had line and chains and hoists slung EVERYWHERE, not to mention the slope I was working on. Some of the stuff on them old trucks is heavy and awkward. That ain't nothing to you guys.

I'll have to look to see if I still have some photos of the build.
1 x

Mike_S
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mike_S » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:15 am

That is a very cool build! Nice job!
0 x
Semper Fidelis.
Mike
H012MX