Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Headlight Restoration Kit

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Headlight Restoration Kit

Post by JEBar » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:05 pm

recommendations (hopefully with a link) for a Headlight Restoration Kit for me to use to restore clear lens on our vehicles head lights would be appreciated .... I've never used one successfully and do not have any specialty tools .... the one in this link comes highly recommended on Amazon ====> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084R ... L1F1Y&th=1
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Headlight Restoration Kit

Post by Cofisher » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:54 pm

Jim, I’m not familiar with the kit you showed. I too would like better performance out of my headlamps. I have a different kit, unused. I’ll let you know of my results.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:05 pm

Those kits have 800 to 2000 grit wet and dry sand paper in them which you can buy for alot less. Pick up a spray bottle of Hybrid Solutions ceramic wax at Walmart and you have the same thing. Ive bought and used the kits but now just get the sandpaper and already have the wax its great stuff.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:20 pm

It's just a damb shame that they started making headlight lenses the way they do now. Every manufacturer has the same problem. Should have stayed with glass instead of getting so fancy, as they can do with plastic!!
Even the BEST kits, only last soo long.
Replacements are very expensive...by design! 😬
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:51 am

I only used a kit one time, I cannot recall the brand, and I would never do it again. It was a PITA and the results were only OK. The next time I had my local body shop do it, the results were stunning and it cost $60. So I had them do another car a while later. You mileage may vary. Afterwards, keep them really well waxed. Clear lenses equals safer night driving, plus the car looks way way better.

I would never buy a used car with hazy yellowed headlights, it says two things to me: the car spent most of its life outside, not garaged, and the owner did not care about it. I sure do see a lot of them in the “cheap car” lots, I would expect the detailer to take care of that blatant flaw, but I guess it takes too much time, more time than spraying the tires and entire engine bay with oily glop….

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:25 am

Spray the lens with Off or other insect repellent and wipe with Terry cloth or micro fibre towel.
Jake
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:51 am

Shakey Jake wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:25 am
Spray the lens with Off or other insect repellent and wipe with Terry cloth or micro fibre towel.
Jake
fascinating ... suggestion appreciated
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:37 pm

Shakey Jake wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:25 am
Jake
“Headlight restoration gone wrong
There is plenty of bad advice online when it comes to restoring your own headlights. Toothpaste, bug spray, and WD40 might add some improvement temporarily, but they are not proper fixes. The DIY kits you can find at the store will do a much better job but they can be expensive considering their results. You can hire a pro to do it (and they’ll be happy to – it’s easy money) but it will cost you.”

https://canadiangearhead.com/how-to-fi ... ssionally/

I guess the Off might keep the bugs off your lights until the next rain.😬

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:41 pm

Used it on my truck lenses for years before I gave it to my son. No, it's not permanent but it does clear them up and it's cheap. Didn't seem to harm the plastic at all. I must have used this technique for 7 or 8 years. To each their own.
Jake
0 x