Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2000 Buick Park Avenue

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: 2000 Buick Park Avenue

Post by John E Davies » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:52 am

My wife’s daily driver is a 1998 Lexus SC 400 with165,000 miles, it is worth considerably more money, but it does require regular cash infusions, I recently changed the timing belt, water pump, power steering pump, front and rear brakes, and battery. Other than stuff simply wearing out or starting to leak, it just keeps running, with great power and zero squeaks or rattles.

One thing you should consider if your Buick is driven at night, buff out those nasty yellow headlights, a body shop should be able to do it for maybe $60, or you can buy a kit and do it yourself. Keep them well waxed after, twice a year at least, and they will stay clear and nice looking. They do NOT need to have clear coat sprayed on them, that is expensive.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:11 pm

bandit1250 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:12 am
Drive the older Park Avenue until something breaks that cost exceeds the value of keeping it. My friend has a Buick that was given to him and keeps telling me it didn't cost him anything. I remind him that he spent over $3200 for a transmission rebuild on what I think far exceeded what the car was worth. It is a mid to late '90's model.
with today's inflated used car prices, I tend to believe its book value would be around $2,500 .... if we were faced with a repair bill for twice that and our options were to repair or replace it, I'd probably choose to repair it .... from what I've seen on lots in our area we'd have to look long and hard to find a $5,000 vehicle we would have much confidence in
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:10 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:52 am

One thing you should consider if your Buick is driven at night, buff out those nasty yellow headlights, a body shop should be able to do it for maybe $60, or you can buy a kit and do it yourself. Keep them well waxed after, twice a year at least, and they will stay clear and nice looking. They do NOT need to have clear coat sprayed on them, that is expensive.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Ditto on that. I've always put polish/wax with UV protectant on my Miata headlights and tail lights since new in 06 and they still look good (it is in the garage a lot since I retired).

Haven't taken nearly as good of care of the Ranger, will probably just replace them at around $75 on Amazon.

I'm always amazed at how many newer cars have very hazed plastic headlights, at the price they want for replacements seems they could go back to glass covers.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:06 am

We got the opportunity years ago to pick up a Grand Marquis that had been a patrol supervisor's vehicle. It had never been a marked unit, but had come set up from the factory with the police package. Had the goodies: Heavy duty electrical, suspension, and performance pack. It had been issued to the Sergeant as his take home car and been well treated, he drove the car until he retired. Leather interior and wood trim. A big jump up from the Crown Vics the officers were driving.

We were offered the car at a flat cash price and we jumped on it. (We knew the wholesaler that picked up the car from the department.) We knew the car would be perfect for our purposes. Tina drove the car daily, as her "soccer mom car." But, we installed a radio charger base in the slot that had once held the Sergeant's, and in went our Rescue Squad radio. The missing Blue Light slots were filled with Red/White Combos that stayed covered, unless responding on rescue calls. The big fiberglass divided gear box left in the trunk now held our turnout/jump bags for "First Responder" calls when we'd meet the ambulance on scene, and vests/rain gear in case we rolled up on an accident. We lived "way out" in the country. Everything was a long way from everything. The car was "solid" at speed, and let us safely respond to rescue calls to save lives. We saved a bunch of them over the years.

That car rode like a dream and we kept it for a long time, until we got the Titan. We needed the Titan to pull the Sixteen Kayak trailer for the Veterans Charity, and it now became Tina's luxury car. A member of the Rescue Squad was thrilled to buy it Mercury from us. We never hesitated to put money into preventive maintenance or repairs, though we never had to choose over sell or make the major ones. We would have made them. You can't buy GOOD used cars at a reasonable price anymore. Unless you know someone.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon May 15, 2023 2:49 pm

last Thursday I took our Park Avenue to a local garage for an assessment .... she'd developed an engine knock that I figured had to be a valve, valve spring or something similar in the motor .... what I needed was an informed guess at the cause of the problem and a repair cost estimate .... the agreed at the most probable cause .... they said it could take 2 or more hours labor for the assessment .... while the cost of the repair could vary considerably, there best guess was something over $2,000 and could easily run considerably more .... knowing several other things that need to be addressed, we decided it was time to let it go .... this morning we drove over, cleaned her out, gave them the title and keys ,,,, they have a fellow who comes by on a regular basis to buy such vehicles for junk or parts .... so, she's gone and the only thing left is many years of memories
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon May 15, 2023 3:25 pm

R.I.P.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon May 15, 2023 3:55 pm

I'm currently still driving the beater 2000 Taurus I picked up 5 years ago as a stopgap vehicle. Now that I'm retired, I don't put many miles on it. The transmission is weak, 200K in the headlights. I'll drive it till something expensive goes bang, or the transmission starts really complaining. It's been shifting hard for the last couple years, but I doubt it will leave me stranded without warning. It's not pretty, but drives well, and everything works except the power door locks.

It's got a top end oil leak, likely cam cover. I'm debating on replacing the gaskets for the cover, plugs and intake manifold because it's leaking enough to drip on the exhaust manifold and stink at lights. I'm just afraid if I finally get around to this repair, it will implode a week later. $50 and a couple hours if nothing unexpected crops up, but I don't want to tempt fate.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon May 15, 2023 7:21 pm

Not foolish at all as far as I'm concerned. Over the past 3 years I have put about $5k into my 1998 4Runner that has over 194k miles on it. IMO, it's always cheaper to fix old than to buy new. Besides, I have my 2016 4Runner as well.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue May 16, 2023 2:28 pm

just got word that our 2000 Park Avenue has been bought and we can pick up the money in the morning .... so ends that era for us
2 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue May 16, 2023 4:28 pm

Good for you! We have a 2010 Acadia with 150K and a 2006 Tacoma with about 185K. The way that I look at it, a person will pay to keep a vehicle running or make payments on it. When it cost more to repair a vehicle that what it is worth, it may be time to replace it. Currently, my Acadia seems to be getting to that point. The little things seem to add up. The latest was a AC repair. Of course, AC is not a show stopper. But, it was for my wife. Yet, it ended up being a value on the low charge side, which costed $1.50. So, both values were replaced. Overall, it has given good service. But, it days seems to be numbered.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).