Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Let’s Talk Bicycles

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Let’s Talk Bicycles

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:45 am

Now that my bicycle course is setup I’m looking for a new bike. I like beach cruisers and need something for trails that can make short turns on rough surfaces.

It also needs to have a scabbard for my Red Ryder. Okay it doesn’t but it does have to look cool.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Let’s Talk Bicycles

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:47 pm

Gene, the biggest issue you'll encounter now is availability, at least on new bikes. There's never been anything like it in the bike industry. The pandemic changed everything. New bikes from major bike manufacturers are all sold out for not just this year, but also 2022 and even into 2023. The only way you'll get new bike, right now, is to get lucky and find a bike shop that has something on the floor in your size. Get on the phone and call around.

That leaves used bikes. Because demand and availability on new bikes is so critical, everyone is pulling old bikes out of the garage and putting them up for sale. Prices on fairly recent model bikes are very near what they're selling for new, but if you see something you like, you better grab it.

And then there are old the old vintage bikes that are being scammed as collectibles and so on. In other words, there's a lot of used junk being sold right, now. Not all of these old vintage bikes are junk, of course, Many of these old bikes are still very rideable and solid, but repairing them or maintaining them is problematical because of a shortage of parts, so be careful. And there is a shortage of bike parts, right now and for the same reason there's a shortage of new bikes. That, and old bike parts for obsolete brakes and wheel sizes, out of date drive trains and so on have always been hard to get.

Again, start hunting. Craigslist has always been the traditional market place for used bikes and parts. If you have some good bike shops in your area, it would be worth a visit. Oller if you have any questions. Be glad to help.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:09 pm

This is what I got. I picked it up about 2 years ago. So far, I am happy with it. I ride about 7-10 miles, 2-3 times a week on it (around town and in a state park). I imagine it would ride nice on a boardwalk at a beach also. It is not a high-end bike. I was looking to spend around $100. I ended up spend $150. The biggest issue that I have had is the front wheel not being seated flush in the fork, which made the wheel not centered. As I recall, the frame has a 10 year warranty. I have not pursued having it replaced it. I just loosed the wheel, centered it, and tighten the nut. That was about 1 year ago. At this point, I am happy with the outcome.

https://www.huffybikes.com/bikes/parksi ... nch-56728/
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:51 am

I guess my beach cruiser will have to do. I need to take it in and have it tuned. The gear changing cable is stretched to the max.

Also the coaster brakes are getting warn out. When I volunteered at state parks this was my main form of transportation within the park. It’s had heavy use.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:51 am

Nice Huffy! Bummer about the frame.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:23 am

Was at the local bike shop here recently to get a new pump. His racks were pretty empty. I know the ebike market is booming and they are having the same issues. Cant get enough bikes to meet the demand.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:13 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:51 am
Nice Huffy! Bummer about the frame.
Thanks! And yes, the frame was a downer. So far, it has been riding smoothly. I get lots of complements. But as others pointed out, bike racks at Walmart have been empty as well. I bought it for exercise. If I live closer to work, I would probably ride it a few days. But, days of working are numbered. So, I may be able to ride it most days and work will not be in the way. :)
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GeoBoy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:01 pm

Gene, have you looked at Day 6 bicycles?
0 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:11 pm

GeoBoy wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:01 pm
Gene, have you looked at Day 6 bicycles?
No but I will.
0 x