Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Elio Type Vehicle Resurection --- AKA the BEX

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Elio Type Vehicle Resurection --- AKA the BEX

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:13 pm

BIG NEWS ...!!!!

Per Mark BEX ....

Ok, Your serious attention is required please.

I am making a serious change to the car's concept. Please read all ...

Ever since I started on this project, the rear seat has been bugging me, in regards to a person having to sit back there in a confined space, staring at the back of the driver's seat and head, I have always felt it was unnaceptable, and of course was the major reason I moved to having a rear door.

But it doesn't help the space issue, or rather, the lack of space for the passenger, especially their legs of course, and it's been eating at me the entire project, along with a few other annoyances, a critical one being the fitment of air conditioning under the dash, there simple isn't room.

So 2 weeks ago, i decided to test out a "staggered seat" arrangement, modifying the current design to be wider at the base, but no wider at the roof, obviously tilting the sides to achieve that (3 degrees each side), and mending a few design issues as well along the way, but I digress ....

"Staggered seating" is achieved by moving the driver's seat to the left, and the rear seat to the right, offsetting them to each other, and here are the reasons why:

Passenger is more forward, with full forward viewing access.This also aids in the stability of the 3 wheeler with the weight moved forward away from the single rear wheel.

Passenger feels more part of the trip, rather than hidden 'down in the back'.

Massive leg room for passenger, and that is simply NOT available with tandem seating.

More storage space available, both next to the driver's seat, and directly behind the driver (next to the passenger).

Both seats can be reclined backwards for comfort and naps, with passenger in the car.

2 x front doors only needed, better visual balance of car design rather than "odd door".

2 OEM front doors allows use of OEM door trims, making internal trimming of car less complicated, and improved internal asthetics. Also electric windows on both front doors.

Length of car and length of wheelbase will be shorter shorter for better parking and maneuverability.

Overall styling presence improved due to better length to width ratio.

Car is lighter and cheaper due to less material useage.

Rear vision improved due to greater taper angle and narrower rear.

Car's stability and safety is improved with better 'reverse trike wheelbase triangle' ratio, and passenger/storage weight further forward.

Use of more standard 'off the shelf' parts such as steering rack, brake master cylinder, brake booster and pedal box (that before had to be assembled from different models cars) and modified previously. Also standard steering intermediate shaft, and clutch master cylinder and pedal box.

Most of these are important changes, but one of the most important is large area now available for an air conditioner unit, which was proving to be an issue.

In summary the main primary reasons for the change are:

-Passenger comfort.
-Passenger forward vision, and can see driver's face.
-Air conditioner fitment.
-Ease of cargo carrying ability.
-Ability to utilise unmodified OEM components, and less bespoke parts.
-The awesome things I have forgotten to write here today.

Anyway, look at the video for some explanation ..​

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xDhNzCMwKs
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:04 pm

Interesting changes, and I understand Mark's thinking. I would however, given the overall style of the vehicle, prefer the seating to be in the center and inline. Perhaps the front seat could be on a platform of sorts so that the passenger's legs could fit underneath the front seat. Just thinking. I realize, that only addresses one of the issues that Mark mentioned though.
I admire him for all his hard work on this project. Something I could never do.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:07 am

a Youtube video showing the recent developments in staggered seating --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzqdt5ybZJ0

another Youtube video showing the recent developments in staggered seating --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzqdt5ybZJ0

another Youtube video showing the recent developments in staggered seating --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzqdt5ybZJ0
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:17 pm

Per Mark BEX ....

I want to explain about the doors and roller seats:

A poster said: "I like the stagger idea in general, but this part I'm not as confident about. It's very common for a passenger to enter/exit while the driver remains seated, think about a parent picking up a child from school. So it needs to be reasonably easy to get in/out with the seats stationary, and that might make the whole roller system redundant".
------

1/ Children will have no problem leaping into the rear seat with driver in position, and slimmer, flexible teens and adults will not have much of a problem climbing into the car with the driver sitting in it.
------

2/ The next level of people a little wider, a little less flexible, will be able to get in and out with only the driver's backrest tilted forward, some even with the driver still seated, but leaning forward with the seat.
------

3/ The ability for both seats to roll forward, is aimed at people not so flexible, not so slim, and those not so able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. With due respect, 30% of the potential cliental is over 60 years of age, 60% over the age of 45, this idea is specifically to cater for a wide range of physical requirements.
------

4/ Note that to roll the seats forward, yes, the driver does need to exit the car, but not to leave the immediate door space. In the Elio, the driver would have to get out, and move clear of the door space for the passenger to enter the car, i.e. the BEX will be an easier process than entering the Elio would have been. Please consider the scenario picking up a child from school in the single door Elio in comparison.
------
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:03 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:04 pm
I admire him for all his hard work on this project. Something I could never do.
understood and completely agree
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:33 am

Per Mark BEX ....

Everything is shut up tight this year, more so than normal, I guess due to covid. It's like Xmas day or New Years day when everybody is shut, I expect this will last until next Monday, the 30th.

Lucky I can still fabricate by hand, annoyingly slow as it is, today designed and made the lower control arm front mounts, more complicated than they look.
Attachments
230127 001 lower control arm front mount 001.png
230127 001 lower control arm front mount 001.png (190.22 KiB) Viewed 535 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:38 am

Per Mark BEX ....

Funny thing that I had a plan in mind for the lower control arm mounts, but because the steel suppliers are closed, I used some scrap laying around, and they have turned out better than what i had in mind.
Attachments
230128 001 lower control arm front mount 001.png
230128 001 lower control arm front mount 001.png (191.7 KiB) Viewed 528 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:57 am

Per Mark BEX .....

And now I have lower controls arms full mounted, it's time to start on the bouncy things ...
Attachments
230129 001 lower control arm front mount 001.png
230129 001 lower control arm front mount 001.png (209.22 KiB) Viewed 517 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:17 pm

In answer to the question ===> "Is the rear wheel going to be disc or drum brake??"

Mark responded ===> "Drum due to a much more effective parking than a disc. Many rear discs actually have an internal drum parking brake for this reason."
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:28 pm

Per Mark BEX ....

I feel a bit defeated, for a couple of days trying to make a good looking front suspension mounting, and just gave up. For the moment it's a bit agricultural, but strong and functional, will come back to aesthetics later.

Got home to find my sample seat had finally arrived (and all businesses are now open again). The seat needs a few mods, but is a good, well made foundation for what I want it to eventually be.
Attachments
230201 001 suspension mount and seat 001.png
230201 001 suspension mount and seat 001.png (236.55 KiB) Viewed 460 times
1 x