Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Elio Type Vehicle Resurection --- AKA the BEX

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Elio Type Vehicle Resurection --- AKA the BEX

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:03 am

Per Mark BEX ....

So went through the parts racks today, and good news: The most suitable rack, that turns the right way this time (and the left way too!), is the same donor make and model as the front and rear spindles, hubs, brakes and suspension I am using, pleased about that ... I didn't consider it to begin with because I thought it turned the wrong way, DOH!
Attachments
211231 001 rack 5 001.jpg
211231 001 rack 5 001.jpg (19.63 KiB) Viewed 796 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:02 pm

Per Mark BEX ....

Ze steering rack is going to work very nicely as far as I can see so far.

Simply cut the steel tube off at the red arrow, move the pinion housing to the right hand side so the pinon shaft points to the center of the car, flip the steel tube over so it bush in the swaged section, yellow arrow, is at the left far end, and job done, just make up some mounts next.

The hardest part is stripping it completely down and washing it in gasoline, because it's all greased inside, and cutting the steel tube of course fills it up with grindings, sigh.

It takes time to sought out the steering geometry, it's not just a case of making a rack for it.
Attachments
220101 rack 6 001.jpg
220101 rack 6 001.jpg (23.13 KiB) Viewed 785 times
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:05 am

I asked Mark ....

for production, will you have to setup an area to make the necessary modifications or, once you need a stIeady supply, do you think the manufacture may take care of it for you ??

Mark's response ....

Either. It's easy enough for me to modify them if I have to do batches at a time. Great thing is there's no modifications required to the existing parts, other than the one cut (and the darn cleaning), or additional parts required. In future, anyone needs to replace the rack, can buy one 'off the shelf', slip the individual parts such as the main shaft, pinion and the bushings out the new rack, and just slip them into the old rack.

I doubt a company would want to make such small quantities, but at least they might supply them un-greased, which is where the largest chunk of time is lost (the cleaning). Maybe even disassembled, i.e. just the parts.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:09 am

Question from a friend ....

Mark, would it be safe to say…. That working out the steering is one of the more unique and challenging aspects of this 3-wheeled, centered steered vehicle?

Mark's response ....

I've done all the geometry plenty of times before, been doing that since I was a teenager, setting up race cars etc, just takes a bit of time, the hardest part is an economically priced rack for center steering.

As I posted above, the few that are available, are either too expensive, or not good enough quality.

Steering, as in the total sum, is very important to get good feel and stability in a car, it's worth the effort put in, and only as good as the effort you do put in.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:16 am

Another question for Mark ....

VERY hypothetically…is there an estimate when this may be in production/available to buy? ‘24? ‘25? just curious, i’m ready to buy

Mark's response ....

I literally can't afford to not release in 2022., it's not that I'm just spending money doing this, I'm also not earning., that can only go on for so long.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:42 pm

Per Mark BEX ....

I am still on setting up the steering, it was always going to be difficult, and it is proving to be so.

For example: Today's issue I came across is lower ball joint travel, or lack of it not allowing enough steering angle. The ball joint is not perpendicular to the KPI (king pin axis) and so swivels when the wheels are turned, rather than rotates, and it swivels too far ...

It's all surmountable, it just takes time, frustration and a few skinned knuckles. Luckily being Australian, I have all the swear words I need.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:30 pm

Per Mark BEX ....

I sorted the ball joint binding I think, without any actual modifications other than what I was modifying anyway, that's good I hope.

I will be sorting out the steering for a bit, you can see here all the bits of steel I have for testing and making patterns, locating where things will eventually go.

Quite the mess ..
Attachments
220105 001 rack 8 001.jpg
220105 001 rack 8 001.jpg (24.38 KiB) Viewed 750 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:06 am

I made the following comment to Mark ......

Mark, don't know if you are aware but EM couldn't come up with a good steering/suspension in house .... to do so they ended up paying Rousch Racing (NASCAR) to take care of designing/building/ testing their Elio .... that couldn't have been cheap

In response, Mark responded .....

I love designing front ends, have a few of them under my belt, no problem.

My aim, as usual, is to use 'off the shelf' parts, so can get a bit tricky sometimes working out how to get it all working in harmony when you don't want to modify the parts, rather using a method of introducing further simple to make parts to tie everything together.

Elio Motors' pull rod front suspension has been around since the 1970's btw, but remember, even in a light accident, in which the front suspension is likely to be the primary damage area, you are bound to Elio's mercy to source those front suspension components.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:21 am

Per Mark BEX ....

modified steering rack in place
Attachments
220108 001 steering 001.jpg
220108 001 steering 001.jpg (18.83 KiB) Viewed 720 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:09 pm

Per Mark BEX ....

the picture shows the correct angle of the steering pinion pointing towards the middle of the car, to facilitate the angle of the steering shaft from the steering wheel.

All be mounted by Monday so you'll see it then anyway as I designed the mountings, and gave the file to the laser shop today .
Attachments
220108 002 rack 10 001.jpg
220108 002 rack 10 001.jpg (17.77 KiB) Viewed 712 times
0 x