Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Elio Type Vehicle Resurection --- AKA the BEX

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Elio Type Vehicle Resurection --- AKA the BEX

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:57 am

even though there website is still active, few (if any) still believe Elio Motors will ever be able to manufacture an Elio type vehicle ===> https://www.eliomotors.com/ .... its too soon to tell for sure but what appears to be a major step forward in bringing an enclosed trike, Elio type vehicle to market is occurring .... below is a copy of the first post in a rapidly growing thread over on the Elio Owner's Forum :

"Mark here. I am an Australian who lives permanently in China with my own businesses there as in mine, not Chinese, not Joint Venture, but my own. I run and control everything myself.

I have a long car building history, from self-designing and scratchbuilding, to repairing and modifying race and rally cars.

There's no need for me to repeat the Elio story, you all know it, but I see numbers of people who are keen to get their Elio or something similar in concept, so I have decided to take up the challenge.

There is no $1000 deposit being sought, there's no stock market shares on offer, I'm not offering T-shirts or bumper stickers, I'm just building the prototype right now, then looking to manufacturer and sell them. No money until they are real and available, it's that simple. Many of you have been bitten once, I understand.

I'm not that good with photoshop, but the car might look a little like this, and will have 2 doors, not one, a driver's door on the left, the rear pax door on the right, I call it the 'Odd Door'.

I am using as many 'off the shelf parts' as possible to keep costs down, and later repair costs down and parts obtainable.

I will post/update here if acceptable to all(?), and I am running a Facebook group where you are welcome if you are polite and friendly, and enjoy a bit of humour :-)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/329191161401401"

[b][size=150][color=#4000FF]https://www ... /size][/b]

.... in the thread he is posting pictures and comments as he is building his first model .... he is making some very nice improvements in his design .... he seems to be credible and I'm enjoying following his progress
0 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Elio Type Vehicle Resurection ???

Post by Headhog » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:30 pm

Interesting vehicle. Very reminiscent of the Isetta which was produced in the 50's and early 60's. It was an Italian design that was produced by different manufacturers in several countries. I believe BMW produced the most which were sold in Europe.

Polaris has the Slingshot and another company, Vanderhall produces a trike, but neither are enclosed. So not much fun to ride on fowl weather.

Paul
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 pm

we've followed the concept since its earliest days .... over 65,000 people have paid from $100 to $1,000 to reserve one when it comes to production .... it is a reverse trike with a fully enclosed passenger compartment including heat and AC .... it was engineered to be reliable, everyday transportation that is cheap to operate and fun to drive .... it had a large following among former and current motorcycle enthusiast .... another somewhat unexpected market was proved to be RV'ers who were interested in towing it behind their motorhomes
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:45 pm

Very interesting!...we still need fossil fuels! Go for it!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:39 pm

the trike discussed in the opening post is many moons from becoming a reality .... it could easily fail .... it is a concept we like and are enjoying watching
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:46 pm

The electric isn't really a feasible item now or anytime soon for that matter.
Just look at the latest fiasco down in Texas, just think about it if even half those affected had been trying to charge one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wish I could find a write up I saw a day or so ago by an engineer. Pretty good.
I'll keep looking, I thought I had save it but not. :oops:

RP
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:41 am

Vaquero wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:46 pm
The electric isn't really a feasible item now or anytime soon for that matter.
Just look at the latest fiasco down in Texas, just think about it if even half those affected had been trying to charge one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wish I could find a write up I saw a day or so ago by an engineer. Pretty good.
I'll keep looking, I thought I had save it but not. :oops:

RP
I read something yesterday (so I’m already forgetting the details :roll: ) but I believe that it was stated that to operate an electric car when figuring in the cost of electricity to charge the car it was three times more expensive per mile to operate than an internal combustion car. I’m no way anti electric car and for many the application would be fine. I particularly like the idea of having something along the line above to use with an RV. What I do get a bit concerned with is GM’s declaration that they will be all electric by 2035. How are people going to tow RV’s and other heavy loads?
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:52 am

As far as electric goes, look at how much ALL types of batteries cost right now. I have had a couple cordless drills over the years that the batteries went bad on, and it was more practical, given the cost of batteries, to just buy a new drill. Charging ports and charging time are another huge issue. IMO, this whole concept will never take over.
Besides, I thought the Elio has a gasoline engine. I thought I read in this thread that it gets about 80 mpg?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:05 pm

the original Elio was designed to burn gasoline and to get around 80 mpg .... since the project totally stalled before they could test it, who knows .... the fellow in the opening post who is building the reverse trike similar to the Elio plans to use one of a number of existing, well proven 1.0 L engines .... the ones he's considering are getting around 60 mpg in 4 wheel cars so one would expect them to get something better than that in his vehicle .... he says he's considering an electric version for the European and Asian markets .... for most folks an enclosed, reverse trike will be what's sometimes termed an "AND" vehicle .... while for some it will no doubt be their only vehicle, just like some only own a motorcycle .... for us it would be fun transportation .... I could see us making day trips or even overnight'ers .... the limits would be determined by the quality of its ride
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:14 pm

Sorta looks like the Stallion except the Stallion was an open concept and burned gas.
Attachments
Stallion.jpg
Stallion.jpg (11.3 KiB) Viewed 8335 times
0 x