Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Elio Type Vehicle Resurection --- AKA the BEX

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
Mark BEX
Tenderfoot
Australia

Re: Elio Type Vehicle Resurection --- AKA the BEX

Post by Mark BEX » Sat May 07, 2022 12:23 am

Cofisher wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:50 pm
Lord love you Mark. A great many of of us oldsters are rooting for you. Thanks for the inspiration and education. As a 2 wheeler, I'm not too excited about 3 wheel critters. But, old dogs can learn new tricks. Keep it up brother.
Yes, the support has been inspiring, thanks much :-)
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed May 11, 2022 11:52 am

Per Mark BEX ....

Over the next week or 2, I am going to try a narrowed VW Bora/Jetta nose for size.

This doesn't mean that's what I am using, it's just that I have a Bora going to waste in the factory, so I can try it out, and get practice in for narrowing a nose, rather than buying new panels and doing it wrong.

The Bora is actually one of my favorite car noses, and the nose panels are highly sort after by VW Mk4 Golf owners as they bolt straight on. They then call them "Bolfs" by the way, Google it if you don't believe me

Added red one with racing stripes for the rev-heads ...
Attachments
220511 001 Bora nose 1 001.jpg
220511 001 Bora nose 1 001.jpg (29.17 KiB) Viewed 797 times
220511 001 Bora nose 2 002.jpg
220511 001 Bora nose 2 002.jpg (19.6 KiB) Viewed 797 times
2 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat May 14, 2022 7:09 pm

I will tell you some news: The decision has been made to move to a Honda 1.5 engine, found in the FIT.

The primary motivation is availability of automatic transmission, that I have not been able to secure supply of (at reasonable cost), as well as being able to buy parts anywhere and getting serviced at any local shop.

The 2 largest selling small cars in the USA with automatic transmission are the 1.4 Chevrolet Spark, and the 1.5 Honda FIT.

I ran the question elsewhere between the 2 choices, and hands down people were unamiously satisfied that the Honda is the way to go. The Honda L15 engine is made in America BTW, and I was quite surprised at the negativity towards the GM product.

I always stated that I might not use the Toyota KR-1 engine I currently have in the prototype, and what goes against it is, it's unknown in the USA, but more impotantly, there is no automatic available for it.

Personally I think the engine is a little bit too powerful for the application (though that may bring joy to many others!), and I will look into detuning it, but that is the only real downside (if it is a downside!). Interesting that it is the 3rd smallest engine available in the USA, only the Chev Spark and Mitsubishi Mirage being smaller.

So I grabbed a donor car today, engine bay already been stripped this afternoon, and tomorrow will pull the driveline out, and start measuring for the changes to be made to the proto chassis to install it.

This decision simply comes down to economics, and KISS.
2 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun May 15, 2022 8:09 am

Per Mark BEX .....

Got the new donor this afternoon, I am a little worried how much power it's got, the BEX will fly! But there is little choice if an auto is to be had. I may have to figure how to detune them a bit.

I am slightly concerned about the exhaust mainifold being on the rear of the cylinder head, it's ok when you have 2 people, you can have a tunnel between the 2 of you and route the exhaust through there, it changes when there's only one person sitting in the middle ... we will see what we can figure out.

So I got very close to pulling it out today, everything except for the main wiring loom and rear engine mount, and I should be able to lift it out tomorrow and start figuring the modifications required.

It might be easier just to scratch build a new chassis as I have gotten it down to a pretty quick build, which is the whole point when you are going to make a few of them continuously.

Those of you who know Honda Civics and Fits, know what a small engine bay and short nose they have, notice the Honda engine in what is basically a Corolla, and see the massive room around the engine, especially behind it!

Sorry about my finger partly over the camera lens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQCTeHWTslM
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri May 20, 2022 7:06 am

So most of the week I have been measuring and inputting into a new chassis for the Honda engine.

Most of the 3/4s of the rear is the same, although different, and the front 1/4 is completely revamped to make a simpler to produce, but stronger frame.

The biggest thing those interested might notice is the roll cage going all the way forward to meet and triangulate the front main rails.

Just about ready to start making it, and it won't take very long, and I will be using all the rear parts from the current frame.
Attachments
220520 001 Honda chassis 1 001.jpg
220520 001 Honda chassis 1 001.jpg (20.44 KiB) Viewed 714 times
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue May 24, 2022 8:44 pm

Per Mark BEX ...

Made a start to laying new steel.
Will build a whole new frame as I want to keep the other car intact and drivable, don't worry, won't take long as I have the complete design, just making some dimensional changes as I go, some improvements I had considered, and now have the chance to implement them.
Should make them to be faster to build.
Attachments
220524 001 new frame 001.jpg
220524 001 new frame 001.jpg (23.07 KiB) Viewed 681 times
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed May 25, 2022 7:39 pm

when asked about the size and comfort level to be offered in the rear seat area, Mark responded :

the last thing I want is for the Boss to be a sardine.

Comfort is a must, lots of cubby holes for the Bosses' handbag and never ending knicknacks, plenty of leg room, ability to snooze on long trips, etc, but most important, I believe, is their own door, for elegant ingress and egress.

As mentioned, I am knocking together a new frame, I want to keep the other car intact and drivable, and already going smoothly.

Will be fast because it's only a modified version of the other car, mostly copying everything over, and not much in the way of any scratch designing, or finding headaches along the way .

About the biggest change is I am eliminating the OEM crossmember because I don't need it for the steering rack mounts or anti-roll bar, so it's just a lot of weight and wasted money. The lower control arms will hang directly off the frame instead.
Attachments
220524 001 new frame 002.jpg
220524 001 new frame 002.jpg (48.94 KiB) Viewed 668 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri May 27, 2022 8:57 pm

Per Mark BEX ....

Finally the A pillars were laser cut today after a few issues with some re-arrangement of staff at the laser shop, got them folded as well, and the lower control arm front brackets also cut, so the lower control arms are now mounted.
Attachments
220527 001 new frame 001.jpg
220527 001 new frame 001.jpg (32.24 KiB) Viewed 647 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat May 28, 2022 11:23 am

The main engine rails are in and lined up.

Going together well.
Attachments
220528 001 Engine rails 1 001.jpg
220528 001 Engine rails 1 001.jpg (33.1 KiB) Viewed 640 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:39 pm

Per Mark BEX ....

Stripped the brake and clutch pedals with their master cylinders, as well as the throttle pedal out of the donor car today.

Then of course measured them up, and put them into CAD (purple pedals) to start drawing up the new firewall (ochre) to suit the Honda driveline.

Again it's just modifying the existing components, firewall in this case, to suit the new driveline.

I don't do detailed CAD, just the main components and hard points as required, I think it's ridiculous the entent some go to, even nuts and bolts with threads, gee whiz.
Attachments
220530 001 Firewall 1 pedals 001.jpg
220530 001 Firewall 1 pedals 001.jpg (32.53 KiB) Viewed 580 times
1 x