Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Elio Type Vehicle Resurection --- AKA the BEX

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Elio Type Vehicle Resurection --- AKA the BEX

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:25 am

Per Mark BEX :

With the heat that has made it impossible to spend very long in the factory the last week (it will pass), I have been at home primarily turning the prototype parts into pre-production manufacturer'able parts in computer CAD. Here is the firewall for example, 4 tubes and a sheet, turned into laser'ed and folded sheets.
Attachments
210731 001 CAD of firewall 001.jpg
210731 001 CAD of firewall 001.jpg (12.71 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:21 pm

response from Mark BEX when asked how soon he anticipates being able to go into production :

"I will start making them when I can confirm there is a minimum of 100 orders. That has always been my absolute minimum.

The difference in numbers makes changes in how I would approach production of them, for example, at 100 units, I will be making them 100% myself in my town."
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:38 pm

Per Mark BEX :

I have been in serious talks with an American kit car company to do the assembly, servicing, parts etc.

That way gets a few American jobs going, likely higher QC, local people to contact etc.

All still up in the air though.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Per Mark BEX :

Quite pleased that I found a small company locally, 40 mins from my home, who I feel can at least construct my frames for me.
They build small electric rubbish pickup trucks, and I know of them because a good friend of mine who has been doing my fiberglass for over 10 years, builds the fiberglass bodies for them, and he took me to visit this factory today.
I was quite happy with their welding in general, that has been the single largest pain to me here, finding good welders is like finding rocking horse poo ... I am yet to have discussions with the Owner, as he is away for a few days .....
Attachments
210804 possible frame construction company 001.jpg
210804 possible frame construction company 001.jpg (96.97 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:32 am

Per Mark BEX :

I had to stick it all back together so as to have a more complete look to show the potential production Partner.

Remember this is a PROTOTYPE, a development car, and it's a bit rough around the edges, and not representative of a final product.

You would be amazed at how many people don't understand that.

LINK TO UTUBE VIDEO ---- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKJxY-oyM0w

Been (trying to) welding for 40 years, and I am still rubbish, it's very frustrating.

I want to make it clear that it's convenient for me to weld as I go along doing the prototype, but I will have nothing to do with the welding of further vehicles, other than strictly approving them, and only if they are to a Western standard.
Attachments
210808 001 reassembly of prototype 001.jpg
210808 001 reassembly of prototype 001.jpg (33.05 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
210808 001 reassembly of prototype 002.jpg
210808 001 reassembly of prototype 002.jpg (29.98 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:05 am

Per Mark BEX :

Chipping away at it Folks, meeting today, and the potential production Partner is all for it in principle, and wants to build a chassis for me ASAP to prove they are capable, and the what, where, who and when's of it all.

First steps are for me to change and redesign the tubing sizes I am currently using, to suit the ample stock they have on hand for their current rubbish truck production, this is just logical, and keeps it low cost and low risk for that company.

Please don't mistake it as a production start, it's not, it's a start on a, or a few, pre-production models to sort things out with the target of sorting foundations for production.

I still have plenty to do on the current prototype.
1 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:34 am

Thanks Jim. This is fun to keep up with.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:00 am

its been fun for me as well .... for those who may not be aware, Paul Elio built up a tremendous following as he was working to put his reverse trike on the road .... the bottom line is, he embittered many, if not most, of the 65,000+ people who paid up to $1,000 for a spot in line to buy one of his trikes if/when it went to production .... it never did and I don't believe ever will .... I've come to the point that I believe there is a very high probability that Mark Beckman will get his into production sooner rather than later ... when it does, we will most certainly be in the market
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:30 am

Per Mark BEX :

Working hard on the next big step in the background guys, it's not always about working on the car itself.
I am currently considering which bodyshell to go with, that the doors and door parts are "off the shelf" available in the USA.
Hyundai Accent is still a hot favorite, there's a Chev in the running as well.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:39 pm

​Per Mark BEX ....

I have been thinking and researching hard this week, and made a decision to base the pre-production car on the 2017-2020 Hyundai Accent body parts, doors being the key element. Today I ordered the sides and 4 doors (4 for the moment for development, 2 for production). The doors are in stock, but the sides will be 5 days.

The reason is very simple, it's the right size, I can get the parts dirt cheap, and most importantly, so can you! Example: https://www.carid.com/hyundai-accent-doors/ But more thinking, ok in 10+ years time, someone runs into your car, or the electric window stops working, no problem, go to a car junkyard, and buy the parts. There's plenty been and being sold in the USA right now, it's a current model, and likely to continue to be sold in Mexico for many more years also.

picture 1 The Accent you can immediately see why the basic shape was high on my list

pictures 2 & 3 an approximation of what it may look similar to ..
Attachments
accent side.jpg
accent side.jpg (19.98 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
A 1.jpg
A 1.jpg (22.98 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
A2.jpg
A2.jpg (22.93 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
0 x