Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Battleship Texas

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
Settingsun1892
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: The Battleship Texas

Post by Settingsun1892 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:32 pm

In the mid sixties dad took me to it. You could go all over the ship then. He shipped over in it to North Africa for the Operation Torch landing. Showed me there he slept and a lot of stories going over.
4 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:41 pm

Really like those old battleships. Maybe a bit different, but, my favorite was/is the HMS Rodney. A rather unique battle ship.
Had a LOT to do with sinking the Bismarck. All main turrets were forward mounted. Battleships were awesome!
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:25 pm

JEBar, any chance you could post a picture of the Rodney? I know it's on youtube stuff, I'm just lousy at posting pics.
It's a great looking ship.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:24 am

I had to drive up to Norfolk from New River Air Station to pull a few things from our Avionics shop on the Saipan in between our Green Water Workup prior to a Med Deployment and the actual six month departure. I had noticed a Battleship docked near us, and it was named after the state my neighbor and good friend was from. When I mentioned this to him, he volunteered to drive me up so he could get pictures of the ship at anchor for his dad.

After I pulled the test equipment I needed from the ship, my guy started shooting his pics, I figured what the heck. I pulled my ID, walked up the gangway and requested permission to speak to the Officer of the Deck.

I was a Staff Sergeant at this point, my neighbor was a Sergeant. I explained to the OOD that my guy was from the ships namesake, and if they weren't too busy, would it be possible to get him a tour so he could tell his dad he had walked the decks. The LT grinned, yelled st a young Third Class Petty Officer, and told him to give us the A tour. I whistled, and waved my buddy up the gangway.

The Petty Officer and one of his shipmates took us all over the ship, my guy shot three rolls of film, and to cap off the tour we had lunch on the mess decks with the crew. Just before we left, they came running up with a pair of ships ball caps for us, and a logo'd Zippo for his dad. I told my guy he could give my cap to his dad as well.

They can talk about interservice rivalries all they want, but he talked about that day for the rest of the time I knew him. :lol:
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:17 am

Rifletom wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:25 pm
JEBar, any chance you could post a picture of the Rodney? I know it's on youtube stuff, I'm just lousy at posting pics. It's a great looking ship.

this link is to info on the Rodney ===> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Rodney_(29)

this link shows a whole mess of pictures ===> https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=HM ... ORM=RESTAB
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:56 pm

Thanks JEBar, those are the ones. Great ships from a time past. Thanks again.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:55 pm

we've really enjoyed watching news coverage of the Battleship Texas being towed to Galveston where she will be in dry dock for major repairs and renovations over the next year or more .... her passage today went smoothly with untold numbers of folks flocking to the watch her passage
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:09 am

I've been on the Texas a few times. The last time there was water leaking in it so bad that they had some areas blocked off. It needed to be restored years ago but finances just weren't coming in fast enough. Thanks to donors they were able to get things done.
Jake
0 x

RudyN
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by RudyN » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:46 pm

I am really glad that the Texas will finally be restored. That is the first ship my father was assigned to when he joined the navy in 1926. He was a radioman and was in the navy until 1956.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:02 am

link to a short video showing the Texas in dry dock where it will be undergoing a major up retrofit .... her unique hull design is easy to see and understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nvI3MHi89U
0 x