Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Different Type of Trip For Us

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: A Different Type of Trip For Us

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:30 pm

good wishes and expressions of concern appreciated ... we have several members who live in NC .... as of right now, all parts of the state (including the Great Smoky Mountain Range in western NC .... the current projections (which may or may not be worth a flit) remind me of Hurricane Hazel back in '54 .... it hammered a swath that included Charlotte to the mountains
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:01 pm

we spent most of today getting ready for a Hurricane that we hope doesn't come our way .... vehicles & campers have been moved away from trees and parked so as to help block some of the wind .... our camper has been hooked up to a 500 gallon propane tank, so if the power goes out its 5500 W Onan should take care of things .... the fresh water tank is full, we are hooked up to our well for water but if the power goes out we can easily switch over to county water .... the latest projected path is calling for it to stall near Wilmington .... after what will no doubt seem like an eternity of pounding from Cat 3 or 4 winds and rain, Florence is expected to turn south .... eventually they believe it will swing west and head toward the NC / Tenn mountains .... for us, they say Friday and Saturday will be the toughest days .... 100% chance of rain with a total somewhere around 4" .... the highest wind speed I've seen is 45 mph .... they are calling for some local power outages but nothing massive .... if that turns out to be the case, we will be most fortunate indeed
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:33 pm

Hurricane Fran hammered us back in 1996 and has become the hurricane that we judge all we have gone through since .... roads blocked, flooding, trees down, buildings destroyed .... we were without power for 4 hours short of 2 full weeks .... because of that experience, we are much better prepared today than we were back then .... right after that we bought a Honday 2500W generator that 23 years later, we still have and use .... it hasn't been run in about a year so we pulled the carb and thoroughly cleaned it and decided to replace the OEM sparkplug .... put the carb back together, remounted it on the Honda engine, poured about a half gallon of heavily treated high test pure gasoline in the tank and fired her up .... left her running at its working speed until it burned all of the fuel .... its loaded in the back of our pickup, ready to go and help neighbors as needed .... didn't pour any more fuel in the tank, like I said, we hope we are doing all of this and won't need any of it
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:48 pm

about 11AM our youngest son called and said their power was out .... came over and got the generator mentioned above .... about noon our power went out, we've moved into our camper in the back yard .... all's good
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:55 pm

JEBar wrote: .... all's good
THANK YOU for keeping us in the know!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:27 pm

rain and wind continues but the good news is our power us back on .. :D .. the not so good news is, since coming back on it has flickered a couple of times .. :roll: .. hopefully it will last this time .... if not, back to the camper .. 8-)
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:43 pm

Sea Witch booked once again, the original info given in post 1 is still valid .... hopefully, no Hurricanes will spring up this time ..... we've decided to make a down in one day (Sunday, Sept 25th) and back home the next (Monday, Sept 26th) trip to Carolina Beach, NC .... our 6 year old grandson has never seen the ocean and is out of school at that time .... on the way down on Sunday we plan to take him through the Battleship North Carolina .... no way my knees can stand up to the tour so I'll find a comfortable place to sit and watch the tourist .. ;)
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:34 pm

I just realized this from two years ago. Have fun the second time around.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:15 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:34 pm
I just realized this from two years ago. Have fun the second time around.
Me too because the day of the month is right now. That’s funny.
1 x