Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

GWNF 1st trip of 2017!

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

GWNF 1st trip of 2017!

Post by Squatch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:01 pm

This trip started out as a post on my regular web home:Planetisuzu.

http://forum.planeti...php?f=9&t=93121

We often do a winter camping and wheeling trip. This was to Hone Quarry Campground in George Washington National Forest in Va.

Most of this is a cut and past from my trip report over on the planet. Anyway a good start 3 nights in the Eagle already this year and it's January!

I have to Thank Mike1 again for getting us out in January! :D The weather really couldn't have been any better.

I went down Thursday and as usual drove through Harpers Ferry.
Potomac River.

Shenandoah River.

I arrived at Hone Quarry Campground before dark and set up my camper. I had my M416 trailer with me. This is the 1st time I've towed it with the camper. It is invisible behind me. No backing without a spotter. So to park it I dropped the trailer. Turned the truck around and hitched it to the new front hitch and simple drove it into the parking spot. Easy peasy.

Friday am I fished a bit in the creek behind camp.

I had the campground to myself till Mike1's buddy Mike2 arrived mid afternoon Friday. About an hour later JollyRoger from "Wander the West" arrived with his Four Wheel Camper.
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/
We had conversed online earlier about GW. So I invited him and another fellow to join us. Only he was able to make it. He brought his well outfitted Hawk on a Ram Diesel. Nice rig.

2 Four Wheel Campers in the same place on the east coast probably qualifies as an event! :lol:
3 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: GWNF 1st trip of 2017!

Post by Squatch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Within a short time the 3 of us strangers were having a good time like old friends. When Mike2 arrived I was sitting in the little bit of sun for the weekend beside the creek.

I spent Friday afternoon chasing the little bit of sun around my site with my new portable solar panels. I did manage to get a small amount of charge on the battery. Pretty shady at this campground and the whole weekend was mostly cloudy.

As evening approached we built a fire and made some dinner.

Mike 1 showed up after dark and joined the gang.

The rain was kind enough in general to happen at night. After a slow start Saturday we decided to try a hike on the Cliff's trail. 3 of us went. It was very strenuous and rocky. i haven't hiked this aggressively in a while. but this old man held up well and really enjoyed the hike. Hopefully it is the start of a much more physically active 2017 for me.

Getting started.

3 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:06 pm

The views were rewarding.

Lot's of rocky outcroppings.

Did I mention the trail was rocky? I think "Juke" enjoyed the hike as well.

Cool tree growing out of the rocks.

Long way down.
2 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:09 pm

New friends.

I have to say that I was pretty worn out after the hike. I didn't get to spend as much time with Mike1 and his bud Bobby as I would have liked. I crashed pretty early Saturday.

JollyRoger and his dog Jukebox shortly before packing up to leave.

JR was kind enough to make me a nice breakfast of eggs and corned beef hash before we left on Sunday morning.

I have to make some special mention of Juke. I love animals and dogs. But not really a fan of these dogs. I've been witness to some of the mayhem that can go with them. But Juke gave me a new perspective and we became good friends.

My rig packed to leave on Sunday.

I had a great weekend. I Hope everyone else did too. I made some new friends and saw some old ones. Fished a little, Hiked a bit and spent quality time around a campfire. Not bad for the 1st outing of the year and the middle of January! :occasion5:
4 x

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:16 pm

Great photos, sounds like a wonderful time there. That stream is lovely. It gives me chills just seeing you standing that close to the edge. I just cannot do that at any "lookout", I stay at least 20' back. A great report with beautiful pictures of some lovely country.
1 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Thank-you very much for sharing all those wonderful pics. I know it took a lot of work to post them all, but, rest assured, I appreciate it.

That's a state I've never seen, but have to say, it is truly beautiful. You've opened my eyes.
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

Don't worry Dutch that's not me that's the other 2 guys. I was taking the pics!
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:16 pm

nicely done indeed .... really enjoyed the pictures and comments .... the scenery reminds me of that in my home area of the southern section of the Appalachian Mountain Range in western NC ....
1 x

DWD445
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by DWD445 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:43 pm

Looks like a great place to be Squatch, and a good time !!
1 x
NRA - DW wheelguns - H012S - Oh CCW

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:14 am

Really nice rig Squatch, I like the use of solar cells. Keep the woods nice an quiet. I haven't camped in years.. 50 or more. So reading your posts bring back fond old memories.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)