Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Availability of Diesel

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Availability of Diesel

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:34 am

I’m scheduled to head for Florida in less than two weeks in my Subaru. Then I will return in two weeks for five days and leave again for Texas the day after Christmas. On the Texas trip I’m thinking of taking my Class A diesel pusher. My question is about the availability of diesel. I’ll be driving about 5,000 miles and will average 8 mpg.

Do you think I’ll get stranded somewhere with no diesel available?

Please don’t go political with this.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Availability of Diesel

Post by markiver54 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:58 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:34 am
I’m scheduled to head for Florida in less than two weeks in my Subaru. Then I will return in two weeks for five days and leave again for Texas the day after Christmas. On the Texas trip I’m thinking of taking my Class A diesel pusher. My question is about the availability of diesel. I’ll be driving about 5,000 miles and will average 8 mpg.

Not sure about availability but I'm sure you can expect to pay a bundle! :shock:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:03 am

markiver54 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:58 am
Sir Henry wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:34 am

Not sure about availability but I'm sure you can expect to pay a bundle! :shock:
The savings of cooking our own meals and not staying at hotels will be substantial. Matter of fact I have the same amount budgeted for taking the motor home and taking the Subaru and staying at hotels.
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:47 pm

How about one of the oil company sites? Maybe you have an oil company credit card and you could get in touch with the home office and tell them where you want to go and that you burn diesel or maybe a truck stop chain.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:59 am

Travlin wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:47 pm
How about one of the oil company sites? Maybe you have an oil company credit card and you could get in touch with the home office and tell them where you want to go and that you burn diesel or maybe a truck stop chain.
They all sidestep the issue and say it’s available with occasional slight delays.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:21 am

per our local news coverage .... shortages should have the greatest impact on the northeast (New England State) .... no shortages observed or reported across NC .... we will be traveling back home from the NC mountains to day will report back if we find anything different
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:25 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:03 am
The savings of cooking our own meals and not staying at hotels will be substantial. Matter of fact I have the same amount budgeted for taking the motor home and taking the Subaru and staying at hotels.
Do you have a SECURE way to carry an extra 10 gallons of diesel just in case you run into a drought area? Theft risk is high if it isn’t hidden or locked.

All costs being equal, it’s a no brainer for me, take the car, enjoy the stress free drive. It will certainly save hours of driving time. Driving a big rig in traffic, finding parking en route, and worrying about fuel will ruin any trip.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:57 am

Check your planned route against Gas Buddy.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:08 am

Sir Henry, Where are you going in Florida? Anywhere near the Tampa Bay area?
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:20 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:57 am
Check your planned route against Gas Buddy.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/
Thanks. I’m already a member of Loves and the Pilot/Flying J apps. The ones that search all the different brands aren’t accurate in my book. They are swayed by certain brands that pay to have their listing on top. My Subaru is a prime example. I can be sitting in the pumps of a lower priced station and my Subaru will tell me to go ten miles down the road to a brand that has paid Subaru. Same is true of Garmin and Tom Tom.

My motor home has a 130 gallon tank of which 110 gallons are considered usable. I can generally go 500 to 800 miles on a fillup depending if I want to take it to 1/2 or 1/4 full. On the open road I can get 10 or sometimes 11 mpg. Average actual results are 8 to 10 depending on how many side trips and stops I make.

I’m really just trying to get everyone‘a gut feeling as I trust you guys and gals more than the news.
0 x