Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2022 Trip To South Dakota

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: 2022 Trip To South Dakota

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:42 pm

after a couple of days dealing with an issue with my laptop, its good to have it operational once again .... overnight a thunderstorm rumbled through dropping about an inch of most welcome rain .... from what we've learned the rain coverage was spotty .... registering from a trace in some spots, up to almost 2" in others .... they are calling for it to get up to 92 this afternoon
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:26 am

74 on its way to 90 strong wind gust and under heavy clouds .... rain falling that is supposed to hang around for another half hour or so .... once the rain moves on, uncharacteristically high humidity should set it ..... another hang around the campsite and visit with relatives/friends who stop by for "coffee" .... my wife, a sister-in-law, her niece and 2 great nieces spent most of yesterday over in De Smet, SD .... where they attended the Laura Ingails Wilder Pageant .... they didn't get back until after midnight which is pretty late for us

http://www.desmetpageant.org/
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:07 pm

65 on its way to 81 with virtually no chance of rain today .... much higher chance tomorrow .... the morning got off to a bit of a rough start .... 3 of the campers in our current campground house crews of migrants who are working repairing major storm damage at a huge local milking facility .... they've been here for a few days, very quiet, no complaints .... when I looked out this morning it was clear that someone had dumped a (hopefully gray) tank .... the problem was, no sewer hose .... a trickle of liquid was still coming out of the camper .... the fact that they had dumped it sometime around daylight told me they knew what they were doing was wrong .... we've camped here for many years and are referred to by city officials as their camp host .... I decided to walk take a good look at the other two campers .... one had a sewer hose connected to the camper but it was run out onto the ground, not connected to the CG's sewer hose connection .... the third had a cap on the sewer connection .... as per our long standing agreement, I called the mayor and gave him a brief rundown .... he arrived shortly thereafter and after a short look, well lets just say that he was livid .... the fellows staying in the camper spoke very little English .... the mayor was able to make himself understood and one worker got their boss who is a native of South Dakota on the phone .... lets just say the conversation was firm, short and to the point .... good sewer hoses and connections have been purchased and installed .... lets also just say that they are under intense supervision and the slightest issue will result in them all being thrown out of the campground
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:27 am

61 on its way to 77 with rain/thunderstorms .... from the radar, our area is on the northern edge of a front that is moving from west to east and pretty well covers the southern half of SD .... it looks like its going to be a good day to stay inside and relax
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:41 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:07 pm
65 on its way to 81 with virtually no chance of rain today .... much higher chance tomorrow .... the morning got off to a bit of a rough start .... 3 of the campers in our current campground house crews of migrants who are working repairing major storm damage at a huge local milking facility .... they've been here for a few days, very quiet, no complaints .... when I looked out this morning it was clear that someone had dumped a (hopefully gray) tank .... the problem was, no sewer hose .... a trickle of liquid was still coming out of the camper .... the fact that they had dumped it sometime around daylight told me they knew what they were doing was wrong .... we've camped here for many years and are referred to by city officials as their camp host .... I decided to walk take a good look at the other two campers .... one had a sewer hose connected to the camper but it was run out onto the ground, not connected to the CG's sewer hose connection .... the third had a cap on the sewer connection .... as per our long standing agreement, I called the mayor and gave him a brief rundown .... he arrived shortly thereafter and after a short look, well lets just say that he was livid .... the fellows staying in the camper spoke very little English .... the mayor was able to make himself understood and one worker got their boss who is a native of South Dakota on the phone .... lets just say the conversation was firm, short and to the point .... good sewer hoses and connections have been purchased and installed .... lets also just say that they are under intense supervision and the slightest issue will result in them all being thrown out of the campground
Sounds like you did the right thing. I hope there's no retaliation. Be safe.
Jake
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:43 pm

in this case I don't believe retaliation is very much of a concern .... their company needs this campground far more than the town needs them
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:35 pm

65 on its way to 81 with the forecast showing a chance of rain but the weather radar shows no rain clouds east of the Missouri River .... that's half a state away .... next serious mention of rain not shown until Monday of next week .... locally folks are preparing to head west on Thursday for the annual Tom and Mat Hill Memorial Fishing Tournament .... with over 180 fishermen, fishing from 70 boats entered, its a big deal

https://gfp.sd.gov/events/detail/1708/
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:17 am

we arrived in Estelline 58 days ago (June 3rd) .... as has always been the case, in looking back the time seems to have evaporated overnight on the one hand and that it has been a long time since were were at home .... in either case, we are scheduled to head back home in 19 days .... that date is approaching far to quickly and also brings with mixed emotions .... no other major family events are on the calendar .... my inevitable paranoia will soon kick in and bring with it a period of checking and rechecking .... we understand that the fishing tournament was a big success .... it will take a few days before they release the final figures .... our family that participated in both staffing and participating in the tournament is on their way home, several hope to be back in time for afternoon coffee .. :D
2 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:54 am

Enjoy your remaining days there Jim!
Jake
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:20 pm

we sure hope to do so ... :D

forecasted high today 88, tomorrow 98 .... that is good news in that only a few hours ago they were calling for tomorrow to be the first of a string of 100+ degree days, now none are in the forecast .... next mention of rain in any form is not until Wednesday, the 10th .... the fishing tournament mentioned above was a big success, after all prizes and other expenses they cleared over $7,000 that will be a boost to several local youth an charity organizations .... the regular summer season is over for most youth baseball/softball leagues .... a few tournaments are still scheduled but for the most part, the summer sports season is pretty much over .... high school football practice begins later this week .... grilled/smoked hot dogs tonight with hamburger steaks on tap for tomorrow night
0 x