Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Life in an RV

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Life in an RV

Post by dave77 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:07 pm

I don't know how much it helps but with my friend's black water tank which is left hooked up to my septic tank we always add a couple of cap fulls of Rid-X after dumping and rinsing. Also found a clear 90 degree drain hose end so we can see when the tank is well rinsed. I also close the black water valve with the rinse water hose turned on for a bit to make sure the drain hose is well rinsed since we always leave the grey water tanks valves open.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:49 pm

I also use a clear elbow at the black tank hook up. There is a product that I like for black tank treatment called Unique like the powder. It works great better than anything I have ever tried. The scott RV toilet paper also is the best for dissolving that I have used.
https://www.amazon.com/Unique-Digest-Ho ... NrPXRydWU=
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:19 pm

Wanted to stay with Rid-X as that's what I use in my septic tank. Had my tank pumped shortly after we hooked up the 5th wheel. Being that I'm single and that it's a 1200 gallon tank I had never used any treatment before and the guy said it looked good, only a few inches of sludge. Using the Rid-X now with 2 people, did not realize how much more laundry a single woman has compared to a single guy.

We are using Scott single ply tp, the RV stuff is too expensive.
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:33 pm

dave77 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:19 pm
Wanted to stay with Rid-X as that's what I use in my septic tank. Had my tank pumped shortly after we hooked up the 5th wheel. Being that I'm single and that it's a 1200 gallon tank I had never used any treatment before and the guy said it looked good, only a few inches of sludge. Using the Rid-X now with 2 people, did not realize how much more laundry a single woman has compared to a single guy.

We are using Scott single ply tp, the RV stuff is too expensive.
No surprise!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:58 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:25 pm
Black stuff first, rinse the black tank, if you have that system, followed by the grey. Close the valves. Count to 30. Then disconnect the RV end of the hose, hold it high, and rinse it out well with the non-potable water hose near the dump hole. Dumping the black first gets the solids out of the way, you do not want to have them hung up in your hose.The clean POTABLE water spigot is always located away from the dump area, at least it is supposed to be....!

Wear disposable gloves and keep your lips closed tightly, splashes could be unpleasant. Wash your hands well before filling your fresh tank or even touching your fresh water hose....

I lived in Monroe for twelve years, a mile north of the race track (and left in 2004), my how that area has grown. Good luck.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Thanks John. Your description was how it went.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:01 pm

dave77 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:07 pm
I don't know how much it helps but with my friend's black water tank which is left hooked up to my septic tank we always add a couple of cap fulls of Rid-X after dumping and rinsing. Also found a clear 90 degree drain hose end so we can see when the tank is well rinsed. I also close the black water valve with the rinse water hose turned on for a bit to make sure the drain hose is well rinsed since we always leave the grey water tanks valves open.
I found another brand of the sanitizer and used it. One for the black and one for the grey. The instructions said use a lot when it’s hot and not very much when it’s cold.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:11 pm

I’m camped at Deception Pass State Park. I organized stuff for a few hours. Some cupboards and drawers aren’t accessible with the slides in.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:55 pm

How many hours can I run the generator before changing the oil?
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:41 am

Use the generator manufacturer’s oil chance interval. I think Onan says 100 hours. I change my portable Yamaha oil at 50 hours or annually in the spring. I normally put only 25 or 30 hours on it unless there is a big outage. If yours doesn’t have an hour meter, install one. I put this one on my Yammie.

[url] https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B081MY6Z ... UTF8&psc=1[/url

You can screw it down or use 3M VHB tape.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:40 am

Do you have full hook ups there Gene.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55