Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Life in an RV

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Life in an RV

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:51 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:40 am
Do you have full hook ups there Gene.
50 amps and water. The sewer dump is a drive through near the exit. There is an overpriced convenience store about a hundred yards from my RV.

I sure sleep good even with the noise of the fighter jets from Whidbey Island Naval Air Station. It sounds like freedom and protection.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:55 am

Thats a nice area. Ive been there many times. Also to an air show at the base. How long can you stay there
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:08 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:55 am
Thats a nice area. Ive been there many times. Also to an air show at the base. How long can you stay there
Till December 1st then I go go Dosewallips State Park. On the Friday after Thanksgiving I have an appointment to put the tires on so I’ll be gone for a full day. I’m making a list of items I need and will stock up.

My propane went from full to 2/3 in a very short time. I think it was barely over the 2/3 mark (light) when I started because it’s been at 2/3 ever since.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:23 am

If electric is free I use a couple ceramic heaters to save on the propane. Does the coach have heat pumps on it.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:20 am

Even if you’re paying for electric it’s probably a good idea to supplement you propane heat with a ceramic heater or two. I do not camp in the winter but from my reading on the Forest River forum those that do find they burn thru the propane tanks quickly.

Sounds like you’re doing good with your new living quarters.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:38 am

It doesn’t matter yet, because you are in a mild climate. But do not completely rely on box heaters in winter where it is chilly, or your basement tanks and plumbing will freeze. OTH they are great for heating the bedroom while the rest of the cabin is cooler. They are a fire hazard, be wary of leaving them running when you are away. Speaking of which, have you checked your extinguishers? You might want to add a couple of more and keep the old ones as backups if they are older than ten years. It really helps if you write the purchase date on the top of the bottles.

These are wonderful, super light weight, run for 50 seconds, and never expire, but they are expensive compared to a Walmart throw away. Plus they do not leave a huge area of corrosive dry powder to clean up afterwards. I bought two last year, one for my Oliver, and the other for my truck glove box. I plan to buy more. If you want a longer run time, they do have a bigger one.

https://elementfire.com/products/element-e50

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:01 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:20 am
Even if you’re paying for electric it’s probably a good idea to supplement you propane heat with a ceramic heater or two. I do not camp in the winter but from my reading on the Forest River forum those that do find they burn thru the propane tanks quickly.

Sounds like you’re doing good with your new living quarters.
I have a small 700 watt one and will be buying a bigger one.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:04 am

John E Davies wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:38 am
It doesn’t matter yet, because you are in a mild climate. But do not completely rely on box heaters in winter where it is chilly, or your basement tanks and plumbing will freeze. OTH they are great for heating the bedroom while the rest of the cabin is cooler. They are a fire hazard, be wary of leaving them running when you are away. Speaking of which, have you checked your extinguishers? You might want to add a couple of more and keep the old ones as backups if they are older than ten years. It really helps if you write the purchase date on the top of the bottles.

These are wonderful, super light weight, run for 50 seconds, and never expire, but they are expensive compared to a Walmart throw away. Plus they do not leave a huge area of corrosive dry powder to clean up afterwards. I bought two last year, one for my Oliver, and the other for my truck glove box. I plan to buy more. If you want a longer run time, they do have a bigger one.

https://elementfire.com/products/element-e50

John Davies
Spokane WA
This RV has factory winter heating wraps on the pipes. The big problem is they use a lot of electricity which is fine with shore power. Using the generator will burn through the fuel.

Thanks for the reminder about the fire extinguishers. They do need to be replaced.
0 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:50 pm

How is your cat doing through all this? I was curious about how it handles the traveling. Mine starts yowling as soon as I start the car and I have wondered if he would have the same problem in a motorhome.
Ernie
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:58 pm

Ernie wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:50 pm
How is your cat doing through all this? I was curious about how it handles the traveling. Mine starts yowling as soon as I start the car and I have wondered if he would have the same problem in a motorhome.
Ernie
It took a long time, but, our cat used to yowl all the time. Not anymore though. Have often wondered the same, if it would be better in a camper or motorhome.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry