Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

RV Heaters

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

RV Heaters

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:18 am

as a result of some PM'd questions about heating our camper while traveling I decided to start this thread .... decades ago we came across Vornado heaters and we've been using them every since .... they are whole room electric heaters, that we use both at home and on the road .... the model that has become our favorite is their AVH2 ===> https://www.vornado.com/shop/heaters/av ... to-climate .... the major advantages we find with this line of heater is safety (cool to the touch ) and the way they circulate the heat throughout an area .... we've tried others that were much hotter but a few feet from the heater you couldn't feel it .... over the years we've given them to our children for use in their babies rooms .... we brought 4 with us on this trip .... one stays in the camper's basement storage are where it protects the water lines and storage tanks .... one stays in the bedroom and is usually run on LOW .... we use the other two in the camper's living/kitchen area .... we've heated our camper this way in temps down to 8 degrees and it has worked well .... in addition our camper has a strong propane furnace that is seldom needed .... it also has an electric fireplace that we use for atmosphere as much as heat .... last, we have heat strips in the living area, roof mounted AC that are almost never used .... we've noticed that when camped with mostly folks who full time, we seldom hear their camper's propane heaters in use .... most use electric space heaters ...
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: RV Heaters

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:32 am

I have one of those Vornado heaters we use occasionally as supplement heat for our bedroom. When I burn the wood stove all day the central heat doesn’t run as much so the core of the home is warm but the bedrooms on the sides of the core area can stay cool. Works great and as you said, stays cool to the touch. I never leave it on while sleeping, just a pre-warm for the room but I wouldn’t hesitate to do so if needed.

We don’t use our RV trailer in the winter since it’s too difficult to get anywhere with snowy roads (we’re mostly surrounded by mountain passes) so I haven’t had to use a supplement heater in the trailer. Just the electric fireplace and the propane furnace for those early spring and late fall trips. Good to know that if I do I can just throw the Vornado in.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:59 am

Electricity is so expensive here I would need to sell a kidney to be able to afford to use it. I wonder how efficient electric heaters are? Is one better at producing BTU’s per kilowatt than others? I never see that stat.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:21 pm

I use a ceramic heater as it has no coils in it. I dont trust any electric heater with coils in it while in my RV. I do have one of those Vornado fans though that I like alot in the bedroom.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:33 pm

I have an old milk house electric heater in the garage. Glows red and sounds like a jet taking off.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:53 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:59 am
Electricity is so expensive here I would need to sell a kidney to be able to afford to use it. I wonder how efficient electric heaters are? Is one better at producing BTU’s per kilowatt than others? I never see that stat.
understood on the cost of electricity .... out of cost savings is one of the reasons we like using electric heaters while traveling in our camper .... electricity is included in our site rent .... propane we have to purchase .... I'd also like to see an objective test on efficiency because most advertise how wonderful they are but .... link to Vornado's claims ===> https://www.vornado.com/energy-smart .... based on many years of use, I tend to believe them
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:58 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Electricity is so expensive here I would need to sell a kidney to be able to afford to use it.
I think you maybe need to read this chart. You are paying what, 12 cents? WA has one of the lowest rates anywhere..... In Spokane it is about 6 cents.

https://www.electricchoice.com/electri ... -by-state/

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:25 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:58 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Electricity is so expensive here I would need to sell a kidney to be able to afford to use it.
I think you maybe need to read this chart. You are paying what, 12 cents? WA has one of the lowest rates anywhere..... In Spokane it is about 6 cents.

https://www.electricchoice.com/electri ... -by-state/

John Davies
Spokane WA
That chart doesn’t include the basic hookup, address conformation fee, meter reading and about 20 other fees. I’m going by what my bill says. I can heat with natural gas for about 20% of the cost of electricity.

The second house in Ephrata was electric heat and it’s very cheap. The fact Grant County runs the Wanapum Dam on the Columbia River has its advantages. In county use is cheap but if it leaves the county it’s about ten time the cost.
0 x

GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GeoBoy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:43 pm

We bring a Vornado with us when we travel in Spring or Fall and run that at the campground instead of using propane. We also use it as a cloths dryer by putting our damp cloths in our wet bath, on a cloths rod, and running the Vornado in the wet bath. The Vornado is so quiet.
0 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:00 pm

that's a good idea .... one I'll file away .... as noted, one of the nice features is the way the Vornado fan moves heat uniformly through a room .... at times we use it on the fan setting to move air through the camper
0 x