Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2017 Winter In Texas

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: 2017 Winter In Texas

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:35 pm

JEBar wrote:...my list of need to adjust/fix projects is growing .... the growth in my level of motivation required to get started on them isn't keeping pace .. :oops:
I hear that loud and clear. Our house's exterior was painted again this year, but I didn't do it myself. It's way too much for me now. I'm actually a bit fearful of being at the top of a ladder, not to mention the challenge of climbing up and down and moving it along. I'm not too proud and I'm happy to pay the man, thanking him so very much for his good work.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:36 pm

JEBar wrote:...my list of need to adjust/fix projects is growing .... the growth in my level of motivation required to get started on them isn't keeping pace .. :oops:
I hear that loud and clear. Our house's exterior was painted again this year, but I didn't do it myself. It's way too much for me now. I'm actually a bit fearful of being at the top of a ladder, not to mention the challenge of climbing up and down and moving it along. I'm not too proud and I'm happy to pay the man, thanking him so very much for his good work.

Be safe JEBar. And be careful, too.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:50 pm

good wishes and wise advice appreciated .... most of the things I need to take care of center on replacing 3 light bulbs, trying to repair a central vacuum switch, and most importantly, complete our setup ....
1 x

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:53 am

JEBar wrote:
dasmoeturhead wrote:So you don't adhere to the 222 fulltimers code; Drive 200 miles, pull in by 2pm, stay 2 days?

while it certainly has its own attraction, I haven't evolved that far .... early on I spent time driving a long distance big rig where getting from point A to point B was the objective .... no messing around in between ..... mostt of my wife's family lives in South Dakota .... we were working so we had a set time to leave and a set time we had to be back .... to spend the most time out there, with the exception of fuel/food/restaurant stops, I'd pretty much drive the 1,600 miles straight through from NC .... I have slowed down some, it now takes us 5 driving days to cover the same distance .... of course, back then we weren't towing a camper
I understand. I tried the 222 a few times, but we just pretty much winged it for 17 months, and all lower 48. Trip of a lifetime. Settled down mow, but seeing your pictures makes me want to hitch up and go. I've got to much work yet around here to do. Maybe next winter.
Enjoy your travels.
0 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:20 am

dasmoeturhead wrote:I understand. I tried the 222 a few times, but we just pretty much winged it for 17 months, and all lower 48. Trip of a lifetime. Settled down mow, but seeing your pictures makes me want to hitch up and go. I've got to much work yet around here to do. Maybe next winter.
Enjoy your travels.
I'd go full time in a heartbeat but my wife will not .... basically, we are on the road 6 +/- months a year .... 3 +/- months in the summer and the same in the winter .... over time we have visited all of the lower 48 states and have found some areas that we hope to be able to visit again .... traditionally we spend our summers in my wife's hometown in South Dakota in a area where most of her family still live ..... in the winter we have grown fond of spending our time in the Houston/San Antonio areas .... my wife has a couple of relatives in that area but we seldom have the opportunity to spend much time with them .... we have reached the point were we enjoy "being there" more than "getting there" .... the total driving mileage involved in going either direction usually falls in the 5,000 +/- miles .... traveling to and from our home to South Dakota usually takes 5 driving days - to and from Texas usually takes 4 driving days .... we are both in our 70's and hope to be able to travel for a good while to come
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:53 am

its a foggy morning in the neighborhood .... thankfully, its also the first morning since our arrival in Texas last Monday, its not a rainy morning in the neighborhood .... shortly we plan to head for Conroe to drop off some items with a local gunsmith who I have come to trust .... the highlight of the morning (for me) will be, what has become our custom, taking my wife Christmas Shopping .... our project for our return is to complete our setup .... really looking forward to spending most of the day outside of the camper
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:57 am

all-in-all, its been a good week .... my left knee tells me that a front moved through last night .... yesterday's high temp was 75, today they are calling for it to get up to 60 .... biggest negative of the week has been the need to have a leak in the pipe that carries the "gray water" from the kitchen sink out of the camper .... as it turned out, the repair shouldn't have been necessary .... I allowed a fellow (who needed the work) to modify that pipe and he simply didn't put any glue in one of the couplers .... as part of his mod he used some expanding foam insulation to seal a hole and that foam was all that had held the pipe in place for the last 3 years .... I-10 in Louisiana apparently shook it loose .... given that mobile repair services are expensive, we are delighted it wasn't any worse .... a few days ago, as noted above, we dropped our Henry 45-70, a Ruger M77 30-06, and 2 Remington 12 ga 11-87's at a local gunsmith who I have come to trust .... all are with him for various mods to reduce felt recoil .... I found his reaction to our Henry to be interesting .... apparently years ago before Anthony Imperato took over they went through a period where their quality wasn't anywhere near where it is today .... during that time he worked on several and had very poor impression of them .... that seemed to change as he handled and looked over our 45-70 .... he did say that there are more effective recoil pads available so he will install a replacement .... he is also going to install a Mercury Recoil Suppressor .... we are looking forward to picking them up and testing them on Feb 21st
1 x

Gregorsway
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Gregorsway » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:06 pm

JEBar wrote: I found his reaction to our Henry to be interesting .... apparently years ago before Anthony Imperato took over they went through a period where their quality wasn't anywhere near where it is today .... during that time he worked on several and had very poor impression of them .... that seemed to change as he handled and looked over our 45-70 .... he did say that there are more effective recoil pads available so he will install a replacement .... he is also going to install a Mercury Recoil Suppressor .... we are looking forward to picking them up and testing them on Feb 21st
That's good to hear coming from someone who knew the company prior to current times! I know this is a Henry forum, but I've heard nothing but good things in the gun shops I frequent- even from guys who aren't fond of them. Let us know how that mercury RS works. I have a gunsmith who looked at a 7mm Mag I have with a light stock he recommended I do this. The kevlar stock could use a little bit of weight to it anyways. Glad your trip is going well! Take care of that weather forecasting knee! :lol:
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Gregorsway wrote:That's good to hear coming from someone who knew the company prior to current times! I know this is a Henry forum, but I've heard nothing but good things in the gun shops I frequent- even from guys who aren't fond of them. Let us know how that mercury RS works. I have a gunsmith who looked at a 7mm Mag I have with a light stock he recommended I do this. The kevlar stock could use a little bit of weight to it anyways. Glad your trip is going well! Take care of that weather forecasting knee! :lol:
over the years, having had them installed in 6 rifles/shotguns, I know the Mercury Recoil Suppressors work .... the physics behind it is pretty simple .... when you pull the trigger the recoil is consistent .... what the Mercury Suppressor does is lengthen the spike and in terms I can understand turns the force of the recoil into a push instead of being a punch .... for us it is a key component in a package of mods ... other components include installing a top quality recoil pad and often Mag-Na-Porting
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:14 am

I well remember my folks telling me that the older one gets the faster time flies by .... its hard to believe we have been in Texas for 2 weeks .... a week from today we are scheduled to move a bit further west to Thousand Trails Colorado River Campground which is near Columbus, TX .... yesterday I spoke with the gunsmith handling the upgrades .... years ago I paid a fellow to install a Mercury Recoil Suppressor and upgrade the recoil pad on my Remington 11-87 .... in our conversation yesterday he informed me that no Mercury Suppressor had been installed, no hole had been drilled to accommodate it .. :oops: .. oh well, there will be one in it when we pick it up in a few weeks .... the weather north of Houston at Lake Conroe has taken a positive turn, daytime temps in the low to mid 70's with no rain in sight .. :D
1 x