Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Portable Car Refrigerator / Freezer

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Portable Car Refrigerator / Freezer

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:25 pm

we are considering purchasing a Portable Car Refrigerator / Freezer for use at home and while traveling .... as but one example, this year's drive from home to South Dakota is scheduled to take 5 driving days ..... we have more frozen food we need to take with us than can be accommodated by the frig in our camper .... we anticipate much the same need for our drive back home .... years ago we had a very small 12V cooler that never did work very well ..... comments, recommendations, personal experiences using one like shown in the link below would be appreciated

https://www.amazon.com/Refrigerator-Fre ... NrPXRydWU=
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Portable Car Refrigerator / Freezer

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:29 pm

The link didn’t work for me. I don’t have any experience with a travel 110v. I use a medium size Coleman with a cozy to put it in. With the cozy the Coleman does quite well. I use it in the summer for getting groceries as I’m not near a store and foods can sit for an hour in transit.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:53 pm

link fixed (I hope) :roll:
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:16 pm

well, after considerable pondering, we've ordered the Portable Car Refrigerator / Freezer mentioned in the first post in this thread .... per Amazon it should be here sometime between Monday and Wednesday of next week .... our first use of it will be to store oysters in the shell purchased on Saturday of next week for use the following day ....
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:51 pm

Im curious as to whether it will keep ice cream frozen. I have one of those wonderful 18cu ft Norcold POS RV fridges. I have given it a new name called nevercold. It will not keep ice cream frozen as the best I can get out the freezer is 12 deg. Ice cream needs 2 deg or there abouts to freeze. It also has areas in the freezer that are even warmer and one needs to watch where he puts stuff expecting it to freeze. I have added a Beech Lane fan to the inside and outside in the cooling vent areas. This has help the fridge part put the freezer is still a joke. There are many complaints about this Norcold online. One guy here has gone through 3 compressor units. I see now to that Norcold has shut the doors and a quitting the business. Gee I wonder why.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:54 pm

the owner ratings and comments say that it will .... it makes sense that it would work better on AC than DC ..... it has multiple DC power levels folks say one needs to learn to manage .... we will set the temp at between 33 and 35 degrees to hold the unshucked oysters from when we pick them up Saturday afternoon until they are steamed Sunday afternoon
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:17 am

sometimes normally good things ain't so good .... as noted above, we ordered based on Amazon's projected delivery date of March 13 to 15 .... earlier today an email from Amazon noted it has shipped and gave a FedEx tracking number .... typing that number into FedEx's tracking site, I found that they say they will deliver it on the 10th when nobody will be here ..Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes:.. in recent years frustrating experiences with FedEx have become the norm and this one is clearly headed in that direction .... I went to their website where I went through the process of signing up for a program that they say provides a person with an opportunity to control such issues .... bottom line, for me using their program proved to be an exercise in futility ..... it ran me around in circles, never getting to where I could delay the delivery .... called Amazon and they are trying to help but once they turn a product over to a shipper their control drops way down .... oh well, this ain't our first rodeo .... looks like we'll have to find someone to handle the delivery for us
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:24 pm

our Domende 12 volt Refrigerator (see link in post 1 in this thread) arrived yesterday .... it was unboxed and sat in the camper overnight .... brought it in a couple of hours ago and let it sit a couple of hours prior to turning it on .... it seems to be working, time will tell
Attachments
230314 001 Freezer Cooler 001.jpg
230314 001 Freezer Cooler 001.jpg (49.9 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
230314 002 Freezer Cooler 002.jpg
230314 002 Freezer Cooler 002.jpg (46.81 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
230314 003 Freezer Cooler 001.jpg
230314 003 Freezer Cooler 001.jpg (44.55 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
230314 004 Freezer Cooler 001.jpg
230314 004 Freezer Cooler 001.jpg (43.01 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:29 pm

FIRST USE REPORT :

this past Saturday morning I picked up a bushel of unshelled (AKA: unshucked) oysters .... after running them through our homemade oyster cleaner, we placed them round side down in our new 12 volt Refrigerator​ .... set it on 40 degrees F and let it run .... 8 hours later when we opened it so as to be able to start steaming them, all was good .... from all I've read, if the time ever comes I believe we can do so for at least 5 days and probably longer .... based on this first use, we are very pleased with this portable electric cooler
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:49 pm

UPDATE :

the cleanup consisted of unscrewing the drain plug, Maureen spraying the inside with some sort of cleaner ... a light wipe with paper towel .... spraying the inside with water from hose .... an even lighter drying wipe with paper towels .... letting it sit open in the sun for a couple of hours .... reinstalling the drain plug and wire basket .... no hit of any smell .... yep, very happy with it
0 x