Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Garmin DriveSmart 55

Tell us where you are traveling to, what you might see. Tell us where you went, what you saw.
Make arrangements to meet up with members in your travels. Be sure to post lots of pictures too!
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Garmin DriveSmart 55

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:51 am

well, our Garmin Dezl 760LMT that was purchased back in Jan 2013 has failed .... in speaking with three different folks at Garmin's customer support, they all said that something inside our Dezl no longer recognizes an effort to update its map software .... that failure directly affected us three times during our recent trip from NC to SD and back .... all three time we were trying to locate a place in an area of new construction .... after telling our current needs/wants in a GPS today, which have changed considerably since 2013, all three support reps recommended we consider their DriveSmart series .... after a good bit of research and reading we chose their Garmin DriveSmart 55 and Traffic, GPS Navigator with 5.5” Display, Simple On-Screen Menus and Easy-to-See Maps ===> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M98Z8DD?ps ... ct_details ..... it cost just under half as much as our Dezl and was literally overnighted to us by Amazon .... first impression is favorable .... installing all of our saved locations did take a while but with Garmin still using basically the same system as we are used to, doing so wasn't a problem .... it is considerably smaller than the Dezl which did work well in our Sportchassis but blocked to much of the view out of the window of our Chevy 1500 .... with us switching the GPS between 3 different vehicles, its really nice that the new model 55 used all the same dash and windshield mounts we purchased for the Dezl ,,,, looking forward to seeing just how well it works
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Garmin DriveSmart 55

Post by markiver54 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:09 am

Interesting Jim. Is there an advantage to having it vs cell phone GPS? accuracy, info etc.?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:27 am

I have a Garmin but don't use it anymore. My Mazda came with it's own GPS system. It seems to work well so far. I've got the Garmin in the trunk incase I ever need it.
Jake
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:32 am

Shakey Jake wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:27 am
I have a Garmin but don't use it anymore. My Mazda came with it's own GPS system. It seems to work well so far. I've got the Garmin in the trunk incase I ever need it.
Jake
Yes, my 4Runner has built in navigation as well.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:33 am

Crickey Jim, what’s next? :(
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:48 am

markiver54 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:09 am
Interesting Jim. Is there an advantage to having it vs cell phone GPS? accuracy, info etc.?
first of all, my flip phone doesn't have a GPS option .. :? ..

second, when we are traveling we use Maureen's Iphone for other things

third, Garmin's units have served us well for decades
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:58 am

JEBar wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:48 am
markiver54 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:09 am
first of all, my flip phone doesn't have a GPS option .. :? ..

second, when we are traveling we use Maureen's Iphone other things

third, Garmin's units have served us well for decades
Makes sense. I understand completely. Sounds like it's the best option for you.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:20 pm

earlier this afternoon we had to drive to a nearby town .... mounted and used our new Drive 55 for the first time .... biggest observation, the much smaller screen is going to take some getting used to .... its very clear but the print is mighty small .... voice info also very clear .... vehicle speed changes color when it goes about 4 mph over the posted .... it really works well with our Chevy 1500 .... so far, so good
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:43 am

I’m looking for a new one that has voice commands. My one in the Ford works perfect but is approaching 20 years old and can’t be updated anymore. I have a big one for my Class A motor home but it’s overkill and takes me on truck routes.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:32 pm

I made a trip to a town I've not been to before and just used the google map app on my phone. Worked OK, I would have been lost a couple of times without it. I can see where a stand alone unit would be much better but I don't travel enough to justify getting one.
0 x