Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shopping for a good gas powered trimmer...

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Shopping for a good gas powered trimmer...

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:46 pm

I never have any issues with the E10 pump gas either. My old Craftsman 20 hp lawn tractor ran for years on that and would sit over Winter with fuel in the tank/carb. It would start and run fine when some fresh fuel was added. Had that thing almost 20 years and took the carb apart when it had some issues. Just clean and shiny aluminum inside.
My small lawn mower I've had for several years has the plastic carb and I leave fuel in it over Winter. Just last week I put some fresh gas in and hit the primer and fired right up.
However best to only use fresh fuel in a 2 cycle when mixed with oil.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:54 pm

Honda builds good stuff too. Really like their big track powered snowblower but big $$$
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:14 pm

Mags wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:45 pm
Never had any issues with ethanol tainted gas in my power tools. I buy premium. Buying just a couple gallons isn't all that expensive over lower grades. At most about 60 cent difference for a 2 gallon purchase between regular and premium.
I have in a snowblower and there are many articles about it on the net. Not to mention all the small engine repair shops here tell you use ethanol free.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:38 pm

Me too for ethanol free, I use it in all my small motors. Fortunately it is easy to find, Maverik stations usually carry it and they are popping up all over the place. Or you can use this site, but it is user driven and not really up to date.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

My Land Cruiser 200 tows noticeably better with the no-alcohol fuel, but there are not enough convenient locations to fill the tank on long trips, so I don't bother.

You still need to use a good fuel treatment.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Have to drive to the county seat to get ethanol free gas but I think it is worth the effort and the cost.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:04 pm

Sure. But no problems so far in my experience. Just sayin. ( now that I've said that, I've probably jinked my tools :oops: )
BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:14 pm
... there are many articles about it on the net. Not to mention all the small engine repair shops here tell you use ethanol free.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:04 am

RanchRoper wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:54 pm
Honda builds good stuff too. Really like their big track powered snowblower but big $$$
I had a track drive Honda snowblower at work for several years and they are impressive. I would do the sidewalks very early and then after school started the city plows would come along and plow all the snow from the street shoulder onto the sidewalk. At a very slow walk it would cut through that plowed snow and throw it 30 feet. It was hard work maneuvering it though, I was very happy when they finally got me a tractor mounted snowblower.

I would laugh at the maintenance guys when they complained about how tired they were from coming in early to plow the parking lots, I'd ask them how sore their hand was from sitting in a heated truck running the plow joystick.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:38 pm

+1 on all the Stihl endorsements. Chain saws, blowers, string trimmers, nearly every decent landscaping company out there has 'em dangling from the hooks on their trailers. The guy who designed and installed a big patio for me several years ago also does (mostly commercial) maintenance landscaping, and he recommended Stihl without even breathing.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:55 am

I went with the Honda 4 cycle 35 cc basic trimmer that can take a brush blade. Like the idea of using plain gas like my mower and the reviews of easy starting and smooth running with lower noise. Will get the better Echo 400 Speed Feed line head for it though!
Should be here in 10 days or so. My little Honda 2200i generator runs like a top all the time.
0 x

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:35 pm

Stihl FS 90.
0 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!