Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Only the second time

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Only the second time

Post by rickhem » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:45 am

I have these big round pads on the plow blade just behind the blade that help keep it from digging in, they're about 8" in diameter. If my driveway was paved, they would be fine, but it's gravel, so they help, but not as much. My issue is that pivoting the blade to either side has to be done with the front arms in a very specific orientation, or it cants the blade a bit. Meaning that adjustment that would dump the bucket if it was on, that needs to be at one specific point, or pivoting left or right isn't even, and one corner is low and one high. I'm constantly adjusting that position. I'd love to lower the blade, push the control lever into "float" and start moving forward, but that digs too much. It gets the job done, but with much less finesse than I'd like.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:57 am

I have shoes on the side of the blower lowered as far down at they will go. My driveway is gravel and I want it to stay in the driveway. It's one reason I like to have the blower instead of the plow. The other is not tearing up the lawn with a plow.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:41 pm

I've debated going with a blower, and for sure I'd want a front mounted blower. I have a mid PTO shaft, so it's doable. Crazy expensive, but would probably be quicker and less damaging to the ground. Mine is an open station tractor, and with a blower, a cab is also a better choice.
For now, I can get the job done with what I have, but I'm seeing that there are better options.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:05 am

Back in VA I invested in these bright orange or yellow fiberglass poles about three feet long and 3/8" in diameter with a 4" band of solas tape at the top. I put them along the edge of that long gravel drive ( 250 yards, curving and dropping downhill,) about every 30 yards. Even in drifted snow you could stay on the gravel drive, and when Tina cleared with the tractor, she just stayed inside the poles. At night, out in the boonies, the solas tapes, helped guide you up or down the drive. (I'll add a pic if I can find one when I get back to the desktop, if someone wants to see one.)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:25 am

Rickhem, the shoes on your blade sound exactly like mine so I won’t get a pic.

BOM, I do like you and have snow stakes along my driveway. What is so obvious without snow absolutely disappears under a blanket of snow. The stakes sure help.
2 x