Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Veggie garden

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
Cattle Driver
Australia

Veggie garden

Post by 220 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:56 pm

Always have a bit of a veggie patch in the backyard here in town, this year I took a gamble and put in a heap the start of October. I say gamble because the rule of thumb is don't sow before November because of frost, Looked like it was going to pay off as only had one frost the start of November and everything was going well but dogs have had other ideas.
It is now their favorite play area. seedlings trampled, holes dug everywhere, plants pulled out and one of them is eating the strawberries. I managed to nurse a Jalapeno I dug out of last years garden and put into a pot through winter, lost its last leaves September but once back in the garden it had shot again and had fresh leaves starting. Found it lying in the yard.
12 months ago we had one dog, I picked up a pup in January that gave us 2, TYB has been on deployment so have been dog sitting his pair and then daughter decided to move back into home along with her dogs so 6 dogs in the backyard.
Thought a picket fence around the vegie patch would look OK and do the job of keeping the dogs out. Priced up materials on Saturday and like everything prices are through the roof, came to about $2k and that was just treated pine, hardwood would be significantly more expensive.
Pulled the chainsaw out Sunday afternoon and started slabbing up some timber, carted a ute load home from the farm Sunday then slabbed a bit more yesterday morning got it home and spent the afternoon digging a few holes and ripping the slabs down.
4x4 posts 3x2 rails and 3" pickets, 3" is as big as I can cut in a single pass with my circular saw or little table saw.
Almost light enough to start digging a few more holes, by then should be late enough to start ripping a bit more timber without upsetting the neighbours and we will see how far I can get today.
1 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Re: Veggie garden

Post by 220 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:08 am

Didnt get as much done as I hoped today a bit of rain slowed things down.
Posts are all in top rail and half the bottom rails, threw a few pickets on just to see how it looks.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:10 am

The fence looks pretty good and is coming right along...

Tina put an electric fence around her garden in Virginia and it worked well for keeping the dogs out. Entertaining too. :twisted:
Lots cheaper than a wooden fence and a lot less work my friend. Trained the dogs NOT to go near the garden. Also kept out the deer, and a few other interlopers. When the season was over she pulled it down, rolled up the wire, stored the charger, and then reinstalled it the next year. ;)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:09 am

That picket fence looks nice.

I didn't fence my garden this year and it worked well. A feral cat hunted in it most of the summer.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:36 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:10 am

Tina put an electric fence around her garden in Virginia and it worked well for keeping the dogs out. Entertaining too. :twisted:
Lots cheaper than a wooden fence and a lot less work my friend. Trained the dogs NOT to go near the garden. Also kept out the deer, and a few other interlopers. When the season was over she pulled it down, rolled up the wire, stored the charger, and then reinstalled it the next year. ;)
I did think about electric and other options but really need something permanent as I am growing year round,
Thought a picket fence would look nice and there is plenty of satisfaction in doing it all yourself. Timber is from a wind blown tree at the farm so cost is debatable depending on how you want to cost it.
I currently have 2 1/2 days labor into it and $50 for screws and fuel to run the saw. I will need to cut one or two more slabs and sort gate hardware.
Completed I am guessing it will have taken me 4 days labor and about $100 cash.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:25 pm

220 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:36 pm
BrokenolMarine wrote:

I did think about electric and other options but really need something permanent as I am growing year round,
Thought a picket fence would look nice and there is plenty of satisfaction in doing it all yourself. Timber is from a wind blown tree at the farm so cost is debatable depending on how you want to cost it.
I currently have 2 1/2 days labor into it and $50 for screws and fuel to run the saw. I will need to cut one or two more slabs and sort gate hardware.
I bow to the master. :lol:
Excellent choice. We didn't grow year round, and didn't have a way to process the wood on the farm into useable boards. Good for you. They look great. In the long run, a mill will pay for itself two or three times over. I know when we bought the log splitter it certainly did. We heated with wood gathered on the farm for a decade, then sold the splitter and the woodstove when I could no longer wield the chainsaw. LOL.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:25 pm

220 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:36 pm
BrokenolMarine wrote:

I bow to the master. :lol:
Excellent choice. We didn't grow year round, and didn't have a way to process the wood on the farm into useable boards. Good for you. They look great. In the long run, a mill will pay for itself two or three times over. I know when we bought the log splitter it certainly did. We heated with wood gathered on the farm for a decade, then sold the splitter and the woodstove when I could no longer wield the chainsaw. LOL.
1 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:34 pm

Happy with the final result

3 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:45 am

It looks great. Nice job!
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member