Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

5+ acres of grass to mow

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: 5+ acres of grass to mow

Post by daytime dave » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:35 pm

Gene, it does take a long time to mow that many acres. As long as you have a nice seat, it makes it better. The push mowing takes it's toll. I hope you get your rhythm down soon enough. It has taken me just over a year to do more time on the tractor and less on the push mower. You just have to get used to doing it. Then of course there is the string trimmer work..............
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:36 pm

Hey All,

Henry do the neighbors have livestock (cows)? I suspect they put up haylage (like silage only hay based). Do you ever see white plastic bags out in the fields around there? That would be AG bag haylage. Does anybody around there put up small or large square bales? Or round bales? Good stuff I always liked haying time.

-Ed-
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:32 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:48 am
Is it possible that the wagon in the picture is for the collection of silage? A local farmer here does that for cattle feed. The unit with the hopper in front of the wagon chops up the hay.

A side note, before moving to the place I’m in now this farmer would sometimes bale at night due to heat causing a lack of moisture in the hay. He had a big field right across the road from my place and I loved the sound of his baler running at night. Thrump, thrump, thrump. Just a quiet constant noise in the distance, very relaxing.
Yes its for silage.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:34 pm

EasyEd wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:36 pm
Hey All,

Henry do the neighbors have livestock (cows)? I suspect they put up haylage (like silage only hay based). Do you ever see white plastic bags out in the fields around there? That would be AG bag haylage. Does anybody around there put up small or large square bales? Or round bales? Good stuff I always liked haying time.

-Ed-
Yes to all your questions. I'm told the silage is for beef cattle and not for milking cows.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:26 pm

I guess the cows like it and the mold must not hurt them. Years ago we had a vegetable canning facility here and a friend was hauling the corn cobs and husks out to a feed lot and dumping it into large sloped pit. I went with him a couple of times and you could smell it from quite a distance.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:30 pm

dave77 wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:26 pm
I guess the cows like it and the mold must not hurt them. Years ago we had a vegetable canning facility here and a friend was hauling the corn cobs and husks out to a feed lot and dumping it into large sloped pit. I went with him a couple of times and you could smell it from quite a distance.
As a kid we fed pea silage to the milk cows. It was bit ripe and in the winter was actually quite warm.
0 x

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:01 pm

Very few people around here use a push mower or weed eater anymore. If they can’t cut it with a riding mower,it don’t get cut. I try and do the trim work the day before cutting. We cut almost 6 acres. With both of us cutting, it takes about 3-1/2 hrs.
1 x