Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2022 Garden

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

2022 Garden

Post by daytime dave » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:54 am

I finished putting in 98% of the 2022 garden recently. I tried a new fencing method this year. Last year I hammered 8 foot 2x2s into the ground to support the 7' deer netting. It didn't work very well. This year I tried approx 4' t posts sunk to the t and bolted on 5' sections of 2x2 to hold the netting. Over all, I'd say it works 10 times better. Last year I stapled the netting to the posts, this year I bought netting from Amazon and it came with zip ties and stakes. I used the zip ties and have yet to decide on the stakes. The weeds outside the fence will likely glue it down, but I may trim better this year.
The rabbit(s) helped themselves to the plants I put in before the fencing. Since then, knock on wood, they are kept at bay.

The potato crop seems to be doing well. They had a 1.5 week head start.

1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: 2022 Garden

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:05 pm

Great garden Dave and beautiful country.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:46 pm

My garden has been destroyed in the past few weeks, Have had a bottle fed lamb in the backyard that decided to start eating everything.
Relocated it back to the farm a few days ago and cleaned up my garden beds yesterday, snow peas are done for, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower were all starting to form heads but are now stumps, onions & carrots have had the tops chewed off and some pulled out of the ground but should survive. The few herbs like rosemary thyme and chives have been well pruned along with the strawberry patch.
Summer vegetables should have been done for months ago but despite our day temps being in the mid 30-50 range the amount of cloud cover means we have only dropped below freezing a few times. Bell peppers are still holding on which is unheard off at this time of year and pretty well untouched but the lamb did finish off the tomatoes that were on their last legs.
I did find a few hundred lettuce that have self sown, I havent sown lettuce for 4 or 5 years, I always let a few run to seed so they can self sow and have to many nearly all the time. I prefer the loose leaf varieties as no need to pick them just pull off a few leaves when ever we want some. Even have self sown potatoes popping up where I must have missed a few last harvest

3 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:11 pm

Looks like work. But worth the effort when you harvest. I don’t have enough room in the backyard for a decent garden. Too much shade and the HOA would freak out if I plowed up the front yard.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:22 pm

I know how it is when animals get in the garden. Several years back when I had goats, I always had a couple would get in garden. It's looking good. Dave, keep eye out with the rabbits. First year I put up mesh, rabbits chewed holes in it. Keep the pictures coming.
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:08 am

Graywolf, I happened to be out minding the firepit the other night. I saw rapid movement in the area where I keep the tractors and implements just into the pasture area. It was three rabbits chasing one another like children. They were mindful of me when I stood up, but continued. I hadn't noticed any garden issues attributable to them since the fencing went up, so they continued their romps. As I went inside, I noticed another rabbit running away in the front yard. As long as they stay out of the garden, they will be fair game when it's their season!

I had been getting rid of the large cardboard boxes I put out behind the barn to burn. Of course it's been over a year for some of them and they were plenty soaked. I was prepared with a chair and suitable side table to hold my drink and music. I added my small Bose speaker after the photos. Having such flat fenders on the Craftsman, there was plenty of room.

I did have one lined up in the sights of my 2" model 63, but like I said, they hadn't caused a problem yet.

1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:39 am

That’s my kind of work.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:30 am

Update,
I checked on the garden on Sunday. All the plants were doing well. Monday evening I checked again and something had eaten just about all the Swiss chard and lettuce plants.
The 63 will be loaded with shot and the Henry garden gun will be pressed into service to defend the garden.
0 x

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:30 pm

It may not be rabbits Dave, but when they were getting in my garden, I couldn't tell how they were getting in. I would go out to garden about 10:00 at night and 2-3 rabbits would take off. I'd see with my flashlight where they went thru mesh but couldn't see a hole. I had to get on hands and knees and actually run my hand across the mesh to finally find holes.They had only chewed in a U shape leaving it attached at the top. It was like a swinging door. I ended up putting some 2' high chicken wire across the bottom.
How do you like the Henry garden gun?
0 x

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:44 pm

I also like your Craftsman. What year is it?
0 x