Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cub plowing efforts

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
Cattle Driver
Australia

Re: Cub plowing efforts

Post by 220 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:18 pm

For me with ploughing I am trying to achieve 2 things, reduce competition for what is being sown and produce a soil bed fine enough to ensure good seed to soil contact for germination.
You have probably gone a fair way to achieving the 1st but I would work again with a tyned or disc implement to produce a better seed bed for sowing.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue May 24, 2022 10:34 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:56 pm
Looks like it did just fine. That's all that matters.

Funny thing. I watch these Good Works Tractors YouTube videos on tractor stuff and the guy was talking about John Deere and Kubota tractors and the ease of changing attachments. Good Works has videos on Safety, tips and techniques, and various implements and new products. I enjoy the videos and learn a few things now and then.

One guy popped up in the comments and said that for what those new tractors cost, he can own a dozen old fords and cub cadets each with the attachment left on and never have to swap one or readjust when he does. Someone replied they didn't believe it. He put up a pic of a row of old tractors in the barn, each with a different implement installed. "All bought at estate sales, all run perfectly, all do their jobs." he replied. :D

I thought it was hilarious.
Now that gives the term quick change implements new meaning. Much quicker to change the seat your butt is in than unhook and rebook up the three point hitch. Love it!
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue May 24, 2022 11:01 am

I had a friend, a retired Marine, retired Police Sergeant, who was my Rabbi (advisor) in all matters law enforcement and shooting finally build his dream home in the country overlooking a pond and with his own private four lane 50 yard range. The three car garage held two cars, the one bay was his Secure Loading room, and didn't have an outside door. He took the above attitude into his loading room, and had three (or four) presses set up. A Dillon multistage quick change press for the handgun calibers, a huge RCBS press for just deprime and resize, another RCBS for rifle, and another for Shotgun. Under the 30' long bench were boxes and boxes of components, and above the bench were sets of dies, assorted calipers, and accessories for the presses, and rows and rows of manuals. Behind the bench on the opposite wall were the shelves of loaded ammunition, and at either end were Safes. Primers were at one end, in the safe, and powder at the other end in a safe. Eventually he added another Dillon press and it stayed set up for 45acp for his bullseye gun.

He and his best friend were distinguished with everything that went boom. Rifle, shotgun, and handgun. They had shot all the disciplines, from PPC, to Bullseye, Skeet and trap. His Best friend built all my competition guns and built guns that won the police nationals several years in a row. He had been elected to the Pistolsmith's Guild. My guy was the Rangemaster for a major Metro PD for 13 years, his best friend was the Rangemaster for the adjacent jurisdiction for two decades before he retired to Gunsmith full time. Both had served in the military during the war.
I was lucky in my careers to know good peeps.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue May 24, 2022 1:26 pm

Thanks for the advice and criticism. All of it is appreciated.

I do have a disc, rather small, but as my father did for a long time, he used what he had until he got better. I'm looking for a better pull behind disc. For now, this one is doing all right. Here is a once over. I have a lot more to get it to where I want it, but the Mahindra does it easily.

2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue May 24, 2022 1:35 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:56 pm
Looks like it did just fine. That's all that matters.

Funny thing. I watch these Good Works Tractors YouTube videos on tractor stuff and the guy was talking about John Deere and Kubota tractors and the ease of changing attachments. Good Works has videos on Safety, tips and techniques, and various implements and new products. I enjoy the videos and learn a few things now and then.

One guy popped up in the comments and said that for what those new tractors cost, he can own a dozen old fords and cub cadets each with the attachment left on and never have to swap one or readjust when he does. Someone replied they didn't believe it. He put up a pic of a row of old tractors in the barn, each with a different implement installed. "All bought at estate sales, all run perfectly, all do their jobs." he replied. :D

I thought it was hilarious.
The fellow is right. Three point implements are supposed to be easy to change and are to a point. My father had a tractor for each function and one that he changed things on. The cub for instance takes several attachments, but each is a chore (or labor of love) to change out. My father did it for health reasons in the end, but the concept is the same. I could by several cubs and set them up with different attachments for the cost of a new John Deere and attachments. I'm going to stay with what I have and look for a couple more attachments I want.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue May 24, 2022 4:22 pm

Only problems I see are no music no air conditioning and a guy could die of thirst because I dont see a whiskey holder.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue May 24, 2022 6:24 pm

The whiskey will come later. The Mahindra is modern, but I don't think it has a cup holder. Gotta keep my whits about me on the hills.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue May 24, 2022 6:56 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:24 pm
The whiskey will come later. The Mahindra is modern, but I don't think it has a cup holder. Gotta keep my whits about me on the hills.
I hear you about the hills.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri May 27, 2022 9:13 pm

The Mahindra has a roll over bar, the Cub is too old for that. The cub felt very stable while plowing, the Mahindra had me on the edge of the seat twice on the same ground.
1 x