Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The New Tractor

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

The New Tractor

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:50 am

When we sold the farm in VA we sold the old reliable Simplicity Legacy with the farm. We included all the attachments. We had a good number including a very nice finish mower, blade, box blade and aerator. Plus the weight rack and a few other things. We had just put on a new set of Tires and a new battery and everything worked. We maintained things. The tractor had 4wd, PTO, locking rear diff, and more. We also sold the Ranger and the NEW trailer to haul them on. (The paint is actually still good, just dusty from mowing.)

New Tractor Tires.jpg
New Tractor Tires.jpg (281.12 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
Tinas finish mower 1.jpg
Tinas finish mower 1.jpg (242.46 KiB) Viewed 2142 times

When we got here, we bought a new tractor, but getting older, I made SURE we got a bucket. :D Of course, 4WD, and the rest. I got pallet forks, which we use more than we ever thought we would, box blade, and hay spear. We got the Kubota 2501 series. Does the job without being too much tractor for our needs. There have been a couple of occasions over the last year where we found we could have used a little bigger tractor, but we made do. For the most part, perfect. Also replaced the Trailer and the Ranger. Really used it during the record snowfall. Glad I upgraded to the cab and heat. :D All were purchased in cash from the sale of the farm in VA. Kept us from having to haul them cross country. ;)

The Tractor: (That pool in the background didn't last long.) Put an ad in the local paper, FREE to a good home, must take ALL, deck included. Got three dozen responses. Went to a Teacher from Tulsa. Single mother wanted it for her kids. They came within a couple days and left Nothing behind. :D She was SO happy, NO POOLS to be found in the state. We put Tina's Shop on that spot.

tractor.jpg
tractor.jpg (246.08 KiB) Viewed 2142 times

Implements: All of them have been WELL used.

impliments.jpg
impliments.jpg (313.24 KiB) Viewed 2142 times

The Ranger 1000 Northstar in the Snow: Bought it used, and it's been great. Used daily around the farm.

axle deep.jpg
axle deep.jpg (172.12 KiB) Viewed 2142 times

The other advantage is staying below the horsepower level that requires the expensive filters and emission controls. I understand that the tractor sometimes will run at high idle for a certain period to burn off the emissions before shutting down and the filters are rather costly and do require replacement. (Over 33 HP if I remember correctly.)
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: The New Tractor

Post by JEBar » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:25 pm

very nice .... our oldest son recently bought a Kubota and really likes it .... looking forward to your own use reports and impressions
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:46 pm

We have used the tractor for a year, and really like it. When Miss T needed to bury a poor calf. Stepped up and did the job. Bush hogging, clipping the pasture, pulling the drive, moving dirt and gravel. Right there on the job. Slogging thru Oklahoma Puddin' (Thick Mud...). Not so hot... But the R4 tires aren't mud tires, really. I pulled her free with the Ranger, on solid ground. :lol:

Embarrassing. :oops:
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:56 pm

Beautiful tractor Jim!! and that Ranger is great!
Very kind of Ya both on the pool deal. Sounding and looking like things are working out very well for Ya'll...I'm glad!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:16 pm

Jim, great year in report on the Kubota. Very surprising that it needed to be pulled out of the mud, but I'm glad it went well. I'm glad it is working well for you. As always, cash is king.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:19 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:16 pm
Jim, great year in report on the Kubota. Very surprising that it needed to be pulled out of the mud, but I'm glad it went well. I'm glad it is working well for you. As always, cash is king.
It's been raining here almost daily for two and a half months. It handled MOST of the mud fine, but as Tina moved to spread another section of an elderly friend's back yard, the tractor fell thru a "crust" into mud about two feet deep. The rear wheels sunk to the hubs, the front to the hubs, and it was sitting on the frame. The lugs on the wheels packed with play dough like clay... :evil: ... All the tractor would do was spin... NO traction. :o :twisted:

Logging chain and the Titan in 4WD and low gear... I forgot, I brought the Titan for that one... :roll: ... easy on the throttle, with the Titan on solid ground. Out she came, smooth as silk. It helped that Tina smoothly applied power to the tractor to break suction.

She calls the mud here "Oklahoma Puddin" for a reason... At it's worst, it can be a real challenge. The neighbor had to pull two 3/4 ton chevy 4x4s out last week with his big Massey Ferguson. They weren't buried, just couldn't get any traction.
;)
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:49 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:19 pm
They weren't buried, just couldn't get any traction.

have been stuck in mud like that more times than I care to recall .... congrats on the way the two of you worked together to free your tractor
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:45 am

I get the no traction. It's a beautiful machine. and I guess you did really well on the Titan too.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:46 am

Have to say I have never seen orange T posts before. I think I kinda like them, you sure will know where your fence is. I understand about clay, many years ago we had a handgun silhouette range south of Spokane near a brick factory. It is all clay out there and I got stuck many times. Nasty stuff!
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:06 am

Can't take credit for the orange posts, they were here when we bought the place. But, I have to say I really like them as well. You also see a lot of them with the top six inches in bright orange around hay fields. Easy to see from the tractor seat. :D
1 x