Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

DeWalt 20v self propelled push mower

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

DeWalt 20v self propelled push mower

Post by daytime dave » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:16 am

I needed a push mower to supplement the x758 at the new place. I still need my DR push mower for the current residence until we move out and it is sold. I noticed on YouTube that DeWalt had a second generation push mower. I have all battery operated tools DeWalt, so I watched the video. It was made by a "regular" type person, not a tool rep. The person liked the mower. They had gotten the self propelled version. I needed that as I have all hilly ground. Off to Home Depot. Out at the farm I opened the box the next day and ............. something wasn't quite right. It was a straight push mower in a never opened, self propelled box. Boy was I not happy. Back I went and the round trip time is just about 75 minutes, without the idle time at the store. I had checked at the store and this one had everything and was self propelled. Put it all together, which is really just flipping up the handle bar. The batteries are 10 amp hr batteries that take about 10+ hrs to charge. They each have a slow charger, so wait, wait, wait I did. It comes with a bagger and side discharge too. Both simple to use. The cable for the self propel was stuffed under the handlebar unit on the other side and could not be put under the cable guide on the handle until I took the handle apart and fixed that. The foam grip on the handle was cracked right out of the box too. Oh well. I did send an email to what I thought was DeWalt customer service. About two weeks later I recieved a "pat" answer from a woman who told me that the mower was still covered by the vendors 90 day return period and I should return it for one that was perfect. Yeah, right. They did thank me for letting me know about the box mix up and the two issues with the second mower. No offer of anything for my inconvenience. It certainly makes me value really good customer service.
With fully charged batteries, I cut lawn with the new mower. DeWalt claims up to 75 minutes run time with two fully charged batteries. I got a good hour of hard use. Each and every time I use it. It revs itself up when it needs more power and then goes back to normal when it doesn't. Going uphill always makes it upshift self propelled. If you get into too much grass or hit a dirt clump or something else, it will stall itself. It will also stall out easily when the batteries start to get whipped. It really does a great job. I have plenty of other 5 amp hr batteries and a few flexvolt batteries to swap in. The flexvolt batteries aren't as many amp hours and don't last an hour. I have to finish with the 5 amp hr batteries usually.
The blade is super light and has no resistance when cleaning the deck pan. It spins freely, so beware. The deckpan loads up just like any other mower, but the whole mower can be flipped over without issue, unlike gas mowers. It makes for easy clean up.

All in all, I'd say DeWalt did a great job on the design of this one. It cuts just like a gas mower. It's much quieter. I am not happy about the quality control issues. I've never had any issue with any DeWalt tool until now. I'd still recommend it to you all. It's that good. I'm going to chase down their customer service and see if I can find someone to take a stand.

1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: DeWalt 20v self propelled push mower

Post by Cofisher » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:22 am

Sounds like you’ve got it well in hand. Congrats on the new mower.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:56 pm

I have a Dewalt drill and an impact driver so I bought the battery hedge trimmer with a 5 amp hr. batt. it is very satisfactory as I don't have to get out a cord.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:10 pm

I appreciate you posting this evaluation .... I'm looking forward to your continued reporting .... I'm specifically interested in longevity of both the batteries and the machine .... does it use regular DeWalt tool batteries :?:
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:10 pm

Saw these at HOME DEPOT by my house but my gas mower is on its 16th year and runs like a watch. Starts first time all the time. Until it goes bad Im gonna stay with it. Congrats on the new mower and thanks for the info Dave
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:11 pm

Thanks for the report. I’m in the market for a new push gas mower and will look at battery powered now.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:44 pm

JEBar wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:10 pm
I appreciate you posting this evaluation .... I'm looking forward to your continued reporting .... I'm specifically interested in longevity of both the batteries and the machine .... does it use regular DeWalt tool batteries :?:
Yes Jim. I have used my flex volt 6 amp hour batteries and my 20v 5 amp hour batteries. I have a LOT of DeWalt tools. Almost all are 20 volt. I also have 20 volt chainsaw, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, pole saw and small blower for outdoors. All are winners. I got the portable compressor last year and it's a home run too. All the tools, drill, saws etc are great.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:18 pm

now that's really handy
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:49 am

Once you go with a power tool, be it DeWalt, Milwakee, Ryobi, etc, you pretty much should stick with it. Build up the line of tools you use around the batteries. When a battery pack goes, take it to a battery store and have it rebuilt. It's about half of what it would cost to replace. Buy the best you can afford in the tool line. Buy one here and there. Look for the sale where you buy the tool and they throw in the battery for free.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:16 pm

the only battery powered tools I have are a Bosch 12V Max 2-Tool Combo (Drill/Driver and Impact Driver) .... for everything else I've gone back to tools with a cord and that includes a weed eater .... I simply no longer use them enough to keep the batteries from going bad .... the exception is the two mentioned above .... I use the heck out of them
0 x