Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New John Deere for the new place

Tell us and show us your small or large farm skills
Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: New John Deere for the new place

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:25 am

Just earlier this week I helped my son install the blower on his garden tractor he bought used this year. Thought it was going to be a big deal but it wasn’t. He had done a lot of the prep work before I got there but I suspect it was pretty straight forward as he’s not very mechanically inclined. He would love to have a cab like yours. Fortunately his driveway isn’t too long so he can tough out the cold.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:58 am

graywolf wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:08 pm
When I retired, I decided to downsize tractors since I wouldn't be farming. I sold my full size tractors and went with the JD 1025R. I was interested in the 700 series but I wanted a bucket. These smaller garden tractors are work horses. I still like your Craftsman garden tractor.
I like that Craftsman a lot. I have a snowblower for it and think it would do well on level driveways. Mine is a hill with a curve. It would do fine going down, but probably wouldn't make it back up.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:55 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:01 am
Dave,
I stand corrected. The impeller on my 54" blower is metal. The whole blower unit performed very well last year, only breaking a shear bolt once. It ate a rock it didn't like at the end of the driveway, near the road. There were no impeller problems.

Last week I changed the transaxle fluid. It was a bigger job than I had thought for. I'm glad I didn't hold off and wait till it was time to switch over the accessories. I know these things will get easier as I gain experience on the machine.

Last year was very easy to prep the garden tractor for winter. I simply made arrangements at the end of October and got a last day of November appointment for a serviceman to come and do it. I was laid up with a broken leg and there was no way. As I said, it was worth every penny. He was here just over an hour.

Fast forward to yesterday. I did the same job myself in 50'sF weather. It took me about three hours. Taking the cab off in the Spring made assembly this Fall much easier. I had lubricated the snap buttons where the metal tubes attach last year. It paid off. Somewhere between spring and now, I managed to lose the snowblower manual book. It's a pretty straight forward operation, but another will need to be ordered. Of course, I took the granddaughter on the "maiden" voyage for the year. She loved the caution light I had on the roof. We drove it to the house and parked it.

Here is the finished product this year.

Well, it was a nice day today, about 65 and sunny for about 5 hours. I took the snowblower and cab off and put the mower on. It didn't take as long as last year, only about 1 and 1/2 hours. As you do it, it gets easier. Now I'm ready for grass.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:19 pm

I'm leaving my plow on the Cub for a couple more weeks after last years April 14th 12 inch snow fall. Previous April record for the entire month of April was a 1/2". Luckily I hadn't taken the plow off, it's not hard to put on but I'd rather not do it with a foot of snow on the ground. Since I'm just mowing with it I don't bother to take the chains off.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:46 am

Just yesterday I serviced and put the walk behind snowblower in storage. I also took the blade off the Ranger but it is a quick mount so can be put back on in a heart beat. I’m starting to use it for other purposes and the blade gets in the way. I did buy filters and oil for the lawn mower but I won’t need it for some weeks now. Sure hope this transition to spring continues.

:D
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:55 pm

I leave the chains on the Craftsman year round. The turf tires would get stuck too much on the uphill slopes. I also leave the chains on the 650 until spring is over as it has turf tires too. The ground water seeps until late spring around here in some places.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:52 pm

dang .... looks like it time to service our Cub Cadet :roll:
0 x