Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Leather lever wraps......

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Leather lever wraps......

Post by JEBar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:18 pm

Frank V wrote:If you use a leather lever wrap be sure it still lets you use the lever. My hands are big & I've wished for a bit larger lever when I wear gloves. Not the John Wayne style, but just a tad bigger to accomodate gloves in the winter.

agree .... I have the Henry large loop lever on our 44 Mag and wish one was available for the pistol grip handle of our 45-70
0 x

Frank V
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frank V » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:11 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Frank V wrote:If you use a leather lever wrap be sure it still lets you use the lever. My hands are big & I've wished for a bit larger lever when I wear gloves. Not the John Wayne style, but just a tad bigger to accomodate gloves in the winter.
Agreed, it looked very nice on the lever but the functionality was a concern.

You could always wrap it yourself with leather boot laces then if it did get in the way you'd only be out the cost of the boot laces. Try it & see how you like it.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:41 pm

Might give that a try. thks
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:06 pm

I had to trim some length off the one on my BB. I also laced to the front with the tassle hanging right behind the trigger guard. I tried it the other way and the tassle got in the way of closing the lever. Going forward I have had no issues. But you do need to be conscious of those tassles.

The fit and feel has gotten better over time.

post edited due to pictures being removed by author
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Frank V
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frank V » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:45 pm

Squatch wrote:I had to trim some length off the one on my BB. I also laced to the front with the tassle hanging right behind the trigger guard. I tried it the other way and the tassle got in the way of closing the lever. Going forward I have had no issues. But you do need to be conscious of those tassles.

Boy It looks nice, but for me murphy is alive & well I know that tassel would get in the way sometime maybe just when I really needed the rifle?
I'd trim the tassel if it were mine.

pictures removed by author so post has been edited
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:47 am

That may happen but so far it hasn't been an issue. I do try to be very conscious of the fact it's there though.
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

LadOR
Tenderfoot

Post by LadOR » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:20 pm

was looking at leather wraps and decided to make a try at doing the levers on my Henry Steel 44 and 30-30. It took a couple paper patterns but got the wrap size and posting it for anyone else wanting to not waste any of their leather. A piece of good stiff hide 1 7/16" wide by 3 1/2" long with a rounded end. A 1/4" wide strip of tanned elk or buck hide to run down the middle. Punch your holes using a divider to mark and a drill or leather punch to make holes. I used 3 lengths of imitation sinew with a needle at each end to tie with. Followed a You tube video for sewing style.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:35 pm

Welcome to the Forum from the Show-Me-State, LadOR. :)
Enjoy your visits here....a lot of interesting discussions happen!
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:36 am

Welcome to the forum, LadOR. Thanks for that wrap information.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:39 am

LadOR wrote:was looking at leather wraps and decided to make a try at doing the levers on my Henry Steel 44 and 30-30. It took a couple paper patterns but got the wrap size and posting it for anyone else wanting to not waste any of their leather. A piece of good stiff hide 1 7/16" wide by 3 1/2" long with a rounded end. A 1/4" wide strip of tanned elk or buck hide to run down the middle. Punch your holes using a divider to mark and a drill or leather punch to make holes. I used 3 lengths of imitation sinew with a needle at each end to tie with. Followed a You tube video for sewing style.
Welcome to the forum! Any chance you could post some pictures?
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag