Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rifles vs weather

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Rifles vs weather

Post by RanchRoper » Fri May 20, 2016 4:29 pm

I know Henry makes the new all weather for the elements.
How do you guys deal with rain, snow, damp weather for your regular rifles? Other than stay home. For example; an old cowboy like me stuffs his Big Boy in the scabbard and heads out for the day. By noon everything is soaked. Saddle, gear, rifle, scabbard taking on water, etc.
Must happen to everybody. What's your plan when your Henry has a soggy day?
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Rifles vs weather

Post by Squatch » Fri May 20, 2016 4:39 pm

I keep my rifle waxed and oiled. If and when they get wet they get cleaned and dried as soon as possible. We've been caught in the rain a couple of times in the woods. No real issues so fair. But the rifles never got really soaked.

The wood on the Henry's is a poly style finish. I think it probably holds up well to wetness.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri May 20, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks, it's gonna happen sooner or later, I guess like you said, just dry/clean/oil as soon as possible. I did punch a hole in the bottom of my scabbard to let the water drain out though so the muzzle isn't soaking in it....
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri May 20, 2016 8:51 pm

Squatch wrote:I keep my rifle waxed and oiled. If and when they get wet they get cleaned and dried as soon as possible. We've been caught in the rain a couple of times in the woods. No real issues so fair. But the rifles never got really soaked.

The wood on the Henry's is a poly style finish. I think it probably holds up well to wetness.
What are you using on the wood?
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri May 20, 2016 10:18 pm

there is no doubt that a rifle custom designed and built to handle prolonged exposure to rainy weather will be easier to maintain than a standard rifle .... that said, standard rifles were used for hundreds of years before stainless, All-Weather models came onto the scene .... I have an all weather 30-06 but back when I was hunting I often left it in the vault and carried a 40 some year old, wood stock, blued Browning BLR 308 or our 30 some year old wood stock, blued Remington 700 300 WBY .... they were properly maintained and it comes as no surprise that they are in the vault ready to go at a moment's notice
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat May 21, 2016 2:25 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Squatch wrote:I keep my rifle waxed and oiled. If and when they get wet they get cleaned and dried as soon as possible. We've been caught in the rain a couple of times in the woods. No real issues so fair. But the rifles never got really soaked.

What are you using on the wood?
I use Johnson's paste wax on the entire exterior of my guns. Wood, brass, blue steel. The stuff for furniture(yellow can) not car wax.

0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Sat May 21, 2016 3:26 pm

I don't hunt deer in the rain as much as I used to do, but if my rifle does get wet, I have a rag and a small bottle of oil in my gun case. As soon as I get back to the barn, I wipe it down well and wipe the stock also. As far as polish for the stock, I use "Pledge" orange oil. Supposed to "clean and revitalize" wood.
Last edited by Deadwood Dutch on Sat May 21, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat May 21, 2016 3:36 pm

I've been in both rain and snow since the deer session I hunt in is during the first half of December, scheduled a little late here in MO. I ditto Dutch on getting those wet drops off the gun as soon as there is the chance.

To protect my wood (primary use, but can use on metal, too), I use Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish. Does a darn good job in my book.

One other comment. I don't know if it would useful or doable, but have you looked at waterproof rifle cases? That doesn't mean leave your scabbard at home, but to carry one along for those just-in-case rains/storms. I don't believe they weigh very much, and probably can be folded. There are a lot of these cases on the market. Maybe less than 2 cents, but there it is.

Keep dry!

RanchRoper wrote:I know Henry makes the new all weather for the elements.
How do you guys deal with rain, snow, damp weather for your regular rifles? Other than stay home. For example; an old cowboy like me stuffs his Big Boy in the scabbard and heads out for the day. By noon everything is soaked. Saddle, gear, rifle, scabbard taking on water, etc.
Must happen to everybody. What's your plan when your Henry has a soggy day?
0 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat May 21, 2016 5:35 pm

All good points, thanks. Supposed to rain the next 4 or 5 days here, so I'll try to keep the BB45C dry!
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun May 22, 2016 11:03 am

I built one special for winter. I took the stock and forearm off and varnished all sides of the wood and put it back together. Then I varnished the entire rifle just sparring critical areas. I use a SPAR varnish. For those that aren't familiar the Russians used varnish during WWII and the English actually painted their rifles, slings, and everything else black.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater