here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
james89
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: rifle shims

Post by james89 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:17 am

LeverLuvr wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:03 pm
Had a good day at the range yesterday. Got my Tikka sighted in and getting 1/2" groups at 100 yds....I'm happy wit dat! Played with the Henry a bit and I gotta say, the shims were worth it. I liken this rifle to a Cadillac. Heavy, solid, and now tight. Racking the lever is like closing a door on the old Detroit steel of yester-year. It ain't fast, but it's a smooth ride. Now for my next Henry, hmmmm???? Kinda thinkin a 30-30 steel, something a little lighter. Maybe if I start saving bottle caps, I can splurge on a wildlife edition. That sure is a purty gun, and I got the full assortment shim pack so I got plenty for the next Henry, or 2 or 3.
Agreed bbs wildlife is amazing ( almost got one myself but worried I'd never shoot it)
1 x
He's undomesticated and that's fact. However he is polite, well read, and won't xxxx on your floor.

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:24 pm

Looks like this thread has slowed down. I'll just add, have no issues with the trigger on my H010 45/70. Seems to be maybe 5lbs, clean, crisp pull. The lever, I swapped out for the large loop.
Was hesitant to add shims, tho it had a bit of side to side movement. Decided to add the shims, works much better.
1 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ol'pole » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:02 pm

Read this and checked my Henry and yup, sloppy. Being thrifty (cheap) I went and checked my old machine repair toolkit and found some plastic shim stock in .002, .004, .005, .007, .015 & .020". Off to Harbor Freight bought a hollow punch set for under $7.00 (on sale). 10 minutes later shims in Henry lever, nice and tight took out almost all of the slop.
1 x
I love my country but I fear my government

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:07 pm

ol'pole wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:02 pm
Read this and checked my Henry and yup, sloppy. Being thrifty (cheap) I went and checked my old machine repair toolkit and found some plastic shim stock in .002, .004, .005, .007, .015 & .020". Off to Harbor Freight bought a hollow punch set for under $7.00 (on sale). 10 minutes later shims in Henry lever, nice and tight took out almost all of the slop.
Good idea. I thought about doing the same but didn't have any shim stock, so figured by the time I ordered some online ( shipping, etc ). I'd be better off just buying the shims. Back when I was working tool & die, it would be no problem. Miss that sometimes.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ol'pole » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:11 pm

I found some plastic shim stock on line can't remember if it was ebay or amazon think it was under $10.00
0 x

LeverLuvr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by LeverLuvr » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:18 am

I would be more apt to go with TriggerShims.com. I think metal shims would be far more durable. Plastic is softer so it will likely wear much quicker and exposed to oil, may become brittle. TriggerShims.com is a husband and wife operation, and I can vouch for them personally as far as service. They actually answer the phone and you talk to the guy who makes them. Got mine within a week. Nice kits.
0 x

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ol'pole » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:48 am

Metal might be better but I had these shims on hand, as for wear, they won't wear much faster than steel if you us some sort of lube oil or grease. I've never had a situation where failed because of any type of common lube used. I figure I can replace my shims 15 to 20 times with stock on hand but to each their own.
1 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:21 pm

I've just shimmed the lever on my H006M.
Big improvement.
1 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:52 am

A combination of shims, reduced power hammer spring, reduced power trigger return spring, and decreased sear width shifted my .357 from a gritty, sloppy pile of crap to a very nice feel.
0 x

Bill.68
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bill.68 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:27 am

I used them in my 44BBCC and they work great and the folks who own the biz are outstanding good people. In fact I bought some shims for my redhawk, my cz457 and some hammer shims for a s&w revolver too.
They do work well if you need them.
0 x
Please always remember to never forget, No matter where you go, there you are.