Side Gate vs Tube Feed

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Side Gate vs Tube Feed

Post by clovishound » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:05 pm

ditto1958 wrote:
clovishound wrote:I've tried side loading gates. Made me glad I have a front loader.
Loading handgun caliber cartridges through a gate is easy. Loading 30-30's is often not fun at all.
Actually, the Marlin I shot was a handgun caliber, .44. What a pain IMO.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:59 pm

clovishound wrote:

Actually, the Marlin I shot was a handgun caliber, .44. What a pain IMO.
Most SASS/CAS shooter use a pusher to feed the gun . Makes it super easy on the fingers if you shoot a lot like in a match . The 1860 Henry has the best loading port . The only drawback with the 1860 is NO forearm and the shell pusher moving down the barrel to where you must move your hand .

1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:15 pm

I'll have to practice loading the 1860 at a full gallop....uh, maybe not.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Squib308
Tenderfoot

Post by Squib308 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:00 pm

at first I found the tube feed system to be a disadvantage to the HRA rifles. however over time and more extended use I've come to actually prefer the tube loading system because it's robust, simple and easy to clean. it's substantially easier to load while wearing gloves, at least for me. to me the only real advantage to side loading is that it can be done quicker and can load a +1 into chamber much more safely. with the HRA I'm not convinced there's any safe way to truly top off the gun, since that would require manipulating the feeding tube while a round is chambered....no thanks. however those are two very minor issues. in general I prefer the henry system and I never thought I would say that.
1 x

red ryder
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by red ryder » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:18 pm

This is something the range owner, Henry hater and avid SASS participant has told me. It sounds like one of those things that "maybe true, but sounds mighty strange". Loading the Henry tube with cartridges is dangerous. He has seen someone loading a Henry and a cartridge went off as it hit the next cartridge in the tube. It just seems that as the cartridge drops even if the tube is at 90°to the ground, the falling cartridge would not have enough momentum to go off. Has anybody ever heard of this? I doubt Mr. Imperato would allow such an obvious legal liability to exist. To quote my late mother: "Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see". Your thoughts are welcome.
1 x
NRA Endowment Life Member
Henry Big Boy .357
and some other firearms

bdbrown66
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by bdbrown66 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:41 pm

I'll believe that when someone shows me proof that it happened, with proper (ie. non-pointed) ammo.
1 x

2fewdaysafield
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by 2fewdaysafield » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:50 pm

A lot of people seem to get their knickers in a twist over the loading gate vs tube load issue. I have both and neither one bothers me a bit.
1 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:44 pm

bdbrown66 wrote:I'll believe that when someone shows me proof that it happened, with proper (ie. non-pointed) ammo.
I'm with you .......... I prefer the side gate loading but there is no way with the correct bullet in tube feed will ever fire from sliding a bullet down a tube . :roll: :roll: :roll:
3 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:57 am

red ryder wrote:This is something the range owner, Henry hater and avid SASS participant has told me. It sounds like one of those things that "maybe true, but sounds mighty strange". Loading the Henry tube with cartridges is dangerous. He has seen someone loading a Henry and a cartridge went off as it hit the next cartridge in the tube. It just seems that as the cartridge drops even if the tube is at 90°to the ground, the falling cartridge would not have enough momentum to go off. Has anybody ever heard of this? I doubt Mr. Imperato would allow such an obvious legal liability to exist. To quote my late mother: "Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see". Your thoughts are welcome.
Im with the others prove it. This belief has been passed around for quite sometime.The only reason I believe its still passed around is because the person claiming this at the time hates tube feed so much hes looking for some lame excuse to never own one. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

red ryder
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by red ryder » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:23 am

[/quote]I'm with the others prove it. This belief has been passed around for quite sometime.The only reason I believe it's still passed around is because the person claiming this at the time hates tube feed so much he's looking for some lame excuse to never own one. Al[/quote]

I think you nailed it. The claim as I hope I indicated, is absurd.
0 x
NRA Endowment Life Member
Henry Big Boy .357
and some other firearms