Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Totally tact out Henry

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Totally tact out Henry

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:22 pm

Walnut and blued steel... well maybe one in the herd that's color case hardened.... but im old school on this... walnut walnut and more walnut for me..... he he he
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:42 am

Hell no
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:48 am

I admit I own one black rifle, an AR, I guess it's my token AR, and a couple of stainless steel/laminated stock rifles but the majority are walnut stock/blue steel finish rifles. I'm too old to grab on to new fads.

It's not that I don't like new stuff, I just like it when it is old.
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:39 am

I could enjoy an X model just as it comes from the factory but all the add on stuff I would pass on.
1 x

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:03 pm

That will never darken my door.
2 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:03 am

Very hard pass. Negative.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:49 am

Don't get me wrong. As a Marine, I have an affinity for tactical rifles like the AR or a scoped heavy barreled bolt gun, even the older M1 or M14. However, I like my lever guns classic, blued, brass, or case hardened... with a nice wood stock.
4 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:57 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:49 am
Don't get me wrong. As a Marine, I have an affinity for tactical rifles like the AR or a scoped heavy barreled bolt gun, even the older M1 or M14. However, I like my lever guns classic, blued, brass, or case hardened... with a nice wood stock.
Did you know that Lt Frank Church, USMC, carried a Henry on the Red River Expedition during the Civil War? I guess that would make the Henry an early tactical rifle. :)

Here's an account and Diary of Church you may find interesting. Free download.

https://archive.org/details/CivilWarMarine/mode/2up
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:48 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:30 am
I feel it will bring negative attention from the wrong folks to lever actions which for now, they see as innocuous and harmless cowboy guns. Most have never seen video of the rapid accurate fire they can deliver, as seen in cowboy action matches. I see pro gun folks posting videos of themselves shooting revolvers and speed loading to prove just how fast they can reload and fire 12 shots just as fast as a semi-auto. (Yeah, I know, I shot PPC and I carried a revolver for the first few years in patrol, and could put 12 shots in the x-ring in 20 seconds including the speed load.) I still own that Model 60 and it's old, worn and still accurate, like it's owner.

But I don't brag about that to the anti crowd, don't want them adding the Lever guns and the revolvers to their lists. :D

This is EXACTLY what I’ve been saying for years now. The people building these types of things are blind to what they are doing. They think “it’s my right to build what I want”, and of course, it IS, but this is likely to come at a cost that is 100% the opposite of what these type of people want.

Oh, and I bet the “First Immigrant” population of yore didn’t think cowboy guns were harmless?
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:17 pm

While I don't see myself falling for all of the odds and ends added to that particular rifle, and I'll bet most of them were added just for the purpose of adding them, while removing the more traditional part, it probably does the functional stuff well. The elevated comb would make for a more consistent cheek weld with an optic, even the dot on that one. That's an issue with my rifle. Maybe the buttstock and forearm are lighter, so it carries easier, Henrys are a bit on the heavy side.

How many times back in the day has a new girl started working where you work, or joined a group you belong to, or whatever, and you never gave her a second thought until you learned a bit more about her, or watched her shoot, or fish, or play pool, or change her own flat tire, and suddenly she got way more interesting?
1 x