Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Product Suggestion Sent To Henry

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Product Suggestion Sent To Henry

Post by HenryFan » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:02 pm

I have sent several product suggestions to Henry.

The one prior to today was a suggestion that Henry produce a single-barrel 16 gauge shotgun with killer wood and shiny blue steel finish. I suggested they make it a limited production firearm, maybe one year of production and call it a "Classic." I think nostalgia would sell them at a fast pace.

Earlier today, I sent a suggestion that Henry engineer and produce a semi-automatic carbine in .44 Rem. Mag. I related that Ruger produced a semi-automatic .44 Mag. cartridge at one time but production ceased maybe three decades ago. I commented if they made a .44 Mag. carbine with an appearance similar to the current production 9mm semi-automatic carbine (good walnut and blue steel) that I believe it would be a brisk seller. Obviously, good engineering is a priority to make sure it is a reliable firearm but that's what Henry does.

The used Ruger .44 Mag. carbines that appear on the market today bring handsome prices. I don't know why Ruger ceased production of the .44 Mag carbine, maybe it was a design problem, technical problems, marketing problems or too many warranty requests but it was a great carbine for the Eastern deer woods.

I anxiously wait for the introduction of my two suggestions. Probably any day now.
3 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Product Suggestion Sent To Henry

Post by 5shot » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:48 pm

I'm in agreement on your suggestions HenryFan but they haven't gotten around to my suggestion yet....a CCH or Blue side gate .41 Mag carbine. :(
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:55 pm

5shot wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:48 pm
I'm in agreement on your suggestions HenryFan but they haven't gotten around to my suggestion yet....a CCH or Blue side gate .41 Mag carbine. :(
5Shot
I bet they put your suggestion right on top of the plastic of a new trash can liner
4 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:59 pm

5shot -

I may have to wait while they work on your suggestion.

First come, first served.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:43 pm

5shot wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:48 pm
As much as I am in agreement with you, I could see the above mentioned carbine as a good sell unlike our like.
Many more 44 mag. lovers then 41 mag lovers. Though a SA 41 carbine like that would be the cat's meow IMHO. :o :lol:

RP
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:41 am

[/quote]

5Shot
I bet they put your suggestion right on top of the plastic of a new trash can liner
[/quote]

:lol: And here I was hoping it got temporarily hung up in cyberspace and the production announcement was coming any day now. :D

HenryFan... If Henry listens to both of us I'll park my .41 in the safe right alongside of the 16 gauge! :D
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:34 am

You guys talk about suggestions. Im thinking there must be some real dreamin in some of these gun MFG break rooms. Smith and Wesson comin out with a model 350 revolver chambered in 350 Legend. Ruger has the Super Redhawk in 22 hornet. Both of these guns should include a set of wheels they are huge. Im not seeing the demand numbers but Im scratchin my head trying to make sense of it all. Not to mention the price.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:41 pm

From what I remember, Ruger claimed high manufacturing costs as the reason for dropping the 44 mag Carbine and that's because of the gas operated action. That also caused other issues. People I know who have had the 44 mag Carbine have told me it was very fussy about ammo to get proper functioning. The later Deerfield 44 mag that replaced it did NOT have a good rep for accuracy and was limited also by the rotary mag. Again, both were gas-operated systems.

And that's the problem as far as cost to make. 9mm and 45 auto carbines can use a simple, low cost blowback or recoil kinds of actions, just like on a 9mm or 45 auto pistol. When you get to the power of a 44 mag, though, you usually have to go gas operated and that drives up the cost. The other issue is that unlike a 9mm or 45 auto, the 44 mag is a rimmed cartridge, a cartridge designed for revolvers, not semi-autos. Using rimmed revolver cartridges in a semi-auto has a history of engineering problems. That also drives up cost.

If you want a handy semi-auto magnum carbine, you're much better off going with a magnum level semi-auto cartridge like a 10mm.
3 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:35 pm

North Country Gal....Thank you for that information. I have no experience with the Ruger .44 auto but imagine that gas operated system would not play well with my cast bullets either.

I have no idea how marketing works or how marketing people think but if Henry can profitably make so many shiney and gaudy (my opinion) commemorative versions they should also be able to make a profit on a few special runs of their staple products. Especially when they would require minumal engineering changes.

On the other hand, a local dealer recently told me it's a struggle to even get the Henry single shot in stock as it is now.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:15 pm

True. One of the issues with the Ruger 44 Carbine was exactly that. Lead bullets would gum up the gas system pretty quick. Ruger actually specified jacketed, only, 240 gr standard loads.
1 x