Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H009g chronically shooting high

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: H009g chronically shooting high

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:27 am

I know you have already spent money for the skinner and wish to make it work. But another solution if you dont want to sent the gun back would be a red dot site. They work well. I dont think I would care for the looks of a 1 inch tall front blade on my rifle.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:05 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:20 pm
A Skinner barrel mount peep will sit quite a bit lower than any of the Skinner receiver peeps, so you might keep that in mind as a possible solution. I prefer a receiver mounted peep, but have used the barrel mount on a lot of guns and have never had to change out the factory front sight to a taller one. Good chance it would work with that .75"
I have a Skinner barrel mounted peep with factory front sight on my H010B 45/70 and at 100 yards 4" groups.
0 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:41 pm

I went with a Ranger Point Precision peep sight, because I had a base from trying the Cloverleaf sight, which I did not like. Due to the size of the sight and the protective wings on the side of the base, I was not able to adjust windage. Plus, the sight align took some work. So far, I am happy with the results:

H009-Peep.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Cleveraction » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:00 pm

Quick update! Thanks for all the suggestions, I finally got it dialed. Had to remove the Skinner Express (sigh) and keep the large blade front with the factory sights. After some fiddling at 25 took it to 100.... 6/6 in the center orange blob (6 inch diameter) is good enough. I really wanted to use the peep so maybe I will go to the barrel mounted peep sight. What an epic journey.... Hog hunt next week will let you know how we do!

Thanks again.
2 x
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land.
~Aldo Leopold

Cleveraction
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Cleveraction » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:00 pm

Oh, a little PSA here. Just got off with the great folks at Skinner. If you ever encounter a similar problem they do make a "short stem" aperture. This can correct for an additional 4.5-ish inches at 100. This means that I will go back to the Express with the short stem, be able to lower it a couple of more turns which should have the same effect as switching to the buckhorn (above). Will let you know how it goes and wanted to pass along the info.

Take care.
0 x
Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land.
~Aldo Leopold