Share The Update On My Big Boy 44 Mag repairs

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
DeathValleyMike
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Share The Update On My Big Boy 44 Mag repairs

Post by DeathValleyMike » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:37 pm

Hello all!
I hope you had a great Christmas and New Years holiday!

Several weeks ago I posted about my first Henry. It’s a Brass Big Boy 44 Mag that I instantly fell in love with!
I just had one problem. Light primer strikes.

I sent the rifle back to Henry. They included paperwork saying that stated that the bolt and trigger group had been replaced when I picked it up Saturday , almost 4 weeks after sending it back.
I went out this morning with 20 rounds of Barnes Vortex ammo and 20 rounds of underwood.
Out of 40 rounds26 actually fired and 14 had light primer strikes ! I eventually got all to fire after loading them several times.

The first instance on a new $950 rifle I chalked up to stuff happens. Now I’m irritated!

I e mailed the Anthony Imperato address he always brags about answering and it instantly forwards to someone else, who in turn forwards to someone else, who forwards it to customer service.

I have now missed the last 2 weeks of SC deer season , this weeks hog hunt and a trip to Alabama in 2 weeks with my Henry! I will still go , but will take another rifle.

I’m requesting a new rifle emphatically! Is that too strong or should I assume that Henry Quality Control and customer service can ship out a quality product the third time?

I’ll have to spend a lot of range time before I ever trust this rifle if they try to fix it again!
Hope you all have a great day!
0 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Share The Update On My Big Boy 44 Mag repairs

Post by Headhog » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:19 pm

That is really disappointing. I hope you can get things worked out. The factory ammo you are using for testing, doesn't come cheap. I know I would be a very unhappy camper.

Paul
2 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:31 pm

Very disheartening, I know I was very displeased when I sent my 44 BBB in for repair.
Their lake of knowledge of info concerning the repair was in my mind Very unprofessional.
I'd be asking for a New rifle or a FULL refund.
Sad to say but I don't see myself buying another Henry product, and mainly because of my experience with CS.
I had thought about one of the single-shots, but have since decided I'll go another route.

Good luck.

RP
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:12 pm

The new rifle may not be any better than the old one but keep sending it in. What else can you do?
2 x

DeathValleyMike
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by DeathValleyMike » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:35 pm

Well, I’m kind of irritated but more disappointed at this point.😔
Henry has had my rifle for a week and a half this time and I was notified by e mail that they were doing the same thing they did the first time to repair it.
I replied that I would like a new rifle…. And have heard nothing.
I have a bunch of hunting caliber rifles but always wanted a Henry to still hunt, scout and stalk in the mountains without a scope for quick shots in heavier cover. I just couldn’t justify $1000 for a 100 yard rifle.
When I actually got it I fell in love with it! The handling , fit, finish and shooting is fantastic…. When it fires.

I was planning to add a lever 22Mag I’m too, but I don’t know if I will after this.
I love Henry rifles and the fact they are made 100% in America, but the excitement is kind of gone.
I have a 30 year old 336 and a model 94 that have had a truckload of ammo through them, and have never failed once. I might be looking elsewhere for a 22 magnum, but I’m not giving up yet.
I’m still hoping they make this right , and made in America still means something.
You folks have a great and blessed day!
4 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:14 pm

I hope that Henry fixes your problem this time. You may want them to fix the rifle, the new one they gave me was as bad or worse than the on I sent in. I am the only one I have heard of though that Henry was not able to eventually fix the problem. Lucky Me.
2 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:45 pm

DeathValleyMike wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:35 pm
Henry has had my rifle for a week and a half this time and I was notified by e mail that they were doing the same thing they did the first time to repair it.
I have a bunch of hunting caliber rifles but always wanted a Henry to still hunt, scout and stalk in the mountains without a scope for quick shots in heavier cover. I just couldn’t justify $1000 for a 100 yard rifle.
When I actually got it I fell in love with it! The handling , fit, finish and shooting is fantastic…. When it fires.

I was planning to add a lever 22Mag I’m too, but I don’t know if I will after this.
I love Henry rifles and the fact they are made 100% in America, but the excitement is kind of gone.
I have a 30 year old 336 and a model 94 that have had a truckload of ammo through them, and have never failed once. I might be looking elsewhere for a 22 magnum, but I’m not giving up yet.
I’m still hoping they make this right , and made in America still means something.
Hey Mike, Ruger is about to release the new Marlin 1894's and the first caliber will be the 44.
If Henry can't don't make it right, there will soon be another option.
I have an 1894 Cowboy in 45 colt that is a great rifle.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:07 pm

DeathValleyMike wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:35 pm

Well put. You could share this with Henry as-is stated.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:25 am

I am beginning to wonder a bit about HRA. It seems like we are reading a growing number of unsolved quality control issues . I wonder if it has anything to do with Mr. I not being the head man of record now. Maybe not being able to keep up with the demand and at the same time introducing new rifles such as the semi auto 9mm is stretching the inspectors who do the final approval to the rifles a little thin. What do you all think?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:22 am

Travlin wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:25 am
I am beginning to wonder a bit about HRA. It seems like we are reading a growing number of unsolved quality control issues . I wonder if it has anything to do with Mr. I not being the head man of record now. Maybe not being able to keep up with the demand and at the same time introducing new rifles such as the semi auto 9mm is stretching the inspectors who do the final approval to the rifles a little thin. What do you all think?
I think the inspectors focus too much on cosmetics. Beautiful guns. But have a - get them out the door as fast as possible, let the customer find the issues for us and we'll fix 'em later - mentality. They have had great customer service so far in that regard, but looks like that ship it - fix later mentality might be catching up to them.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234