Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Article on Gun Cleaning

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
2ffat
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Article on Gun Cleaning

Post by 2ffat » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:08 pm

Cheaper than Dirt has an interesting article on cleaning guns: What Will Happen if I Don’t Clean My Gun?
2 x
I look just like my avatar.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Article on Gun Cleaning

Post by daytime dave » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:23 pm

Thanks for the read.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:53 pm

I agree that clean every gun needs cleaning differently. Most of my cleaning routines are in the middle of cleaning every time I shoot them and never cleaning them.
1 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:28 pm

I cleaned my 30-30 just a few hours ago, after a range visit earlier. No pics of groups from that range trip; I was suckin' like bucket full of ticks the way I shot today....... :roll:

Anyway, I used a very stout ammonia smelling copper fouling solution for the barrel; Sweet's 7.62 or some such. The wet patches turn blue when they contact any copper. And I swear, I went through more patches, wet and dry both, that I ever have till they stopped coming out blue. Thought I might have to resort to cutting up and using articles of clothing there for awhile. :o No pair of underwear was gonna be safe if I had run outta patches, I tell ya...... :mrgreen:

Anyone else have similar experiences with stuff like that?
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:23 am

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:28 pm
I cleaned my 30-30 just a few hours ago, after a range visit earlier. No pics of groups from that range trip; I was suckin' like bucket full of ticks the way I shot today....... :roll:

Anyway, I used a very stout ammonia smelling copper fouling solution for the barrel; Sweet's 7.62 or some such. The wet patches turn blue when they contact any copper. And I swear, I went through more patches, wet and dry both, that I ever have till they stopped coming out blue. Thought I might have to resort to cutting up and using articles of clothing there for awhile. :o No pair of underwear was gonna be safe if I had run outta patches, I tell ya...... :mrgreen:

Yup. I use TetraGun. Take care not to get copper fouling solutions on the brass alloy parts.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:54 am

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:28 pm

Yes, I use Eliminator bore cleaner which turns green when in contact with copper. Does a great job of letting you know when the bore is free of copper. Takes a lot of patches, I buy the big bulk pack.
1 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:25 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:54 am
Takes a lot of patches, I buy the big bulk pack.
Yeah, the reality of my situation I described above was that I've simply been lazy about cutting new patches. The bulk patches I buy seem to be a cotton t-shirt material, and pretty large, so I need to cut them down to size. The ones that work best for me are cotton flannel bought from a fabric store. But again, some time and effort with scissors is needed for those also. :oops:

The article linked above was indeed a nice read. I tend to pretty much try to clean my bigger hunting rifles' bores after each outing, and the rest of the gun gets cleaned when it needs it. Weather (we get a bit of rain out here...... :roll: Sandy, OR averages somewhere around 70" a year :cry: ) somewhat dictates when that happens. If it got dirty and/or wet while hunting, I clean the parts of the gun where the water or crud got into. Kinda like was mentioned in the article, my poor little .22s. seem to get shot the most, and receive the most neglect. :oops: :oops:
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO