Post by JimCunn » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:00 pm

How light is too light?
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Trigger Pull

Post by Mags » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:39 pm

I suppose if a rifle is dropped on it's butt and the gravity+shock of the drop pulls the trigger, that would be too light.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:16 pm

That's sort of a personal preference thing. The cure for that is an adjustable trigger, which I don't think anyone makes for a Henry. Someone should, imho. One rifle I have is adjustable from 2 1/4 to 5 lbs via a simple screw. I like the light trigger setting for it, but it's a precision .22wmr bolt gun, not a hunting gun although it could certainly fill the small game role.

Anyway there's more to it than just weight. A lot can be gained just from smoothing things up so there's no gritty feel, and has a crisp release. A good smith can do that for you.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:32 pm

Too light a trigger will startle the shooter and make him jumpy causing his confidence and accuracy to suffer.
My old dad had BP rifles with those set triggers. He loved a hair trigger on a target rifle. Hunting and general use, not so much.
It depends on the application, I suppose.
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:00 pm

I am used to my trigger pulls being about 2-2.5lbs. Though I have bump tested all my rifles I do not worry about dropping them and having them fire as I have never dropped a rifle after the safety was off and i was ready to fire. The weight of the trigger pull is only part of what I think a good trigger pull is. Trigger creep and how it stacks can make it tough for offhand accuracy. The shape of the stock makes a difference for me, with a straight stock I am pulling the trigger up and back that requires more force than a rifle with pistol grip where I am pulling the trigger straight back.

I think it comes down to what you want and what you are used to.
0 x

JimCunn
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by JimCunn » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:06 pm

I like light triggers. Right now, my H006M is right at 1.25 pounds with negligible creep.
I've gotten used to it, but it is light enough that I am leery of loaning it out to friends.
2 x

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:45 pm

If you restore, modify or build firearms, you might find the SAMMI Abusive Mishandling manual useful. It has instructions for conducting your own drop or jar tests. Down load it here: https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/20 ... 4-2016.pdf

I'll take smooth over light anytime, with the least over travel permissible.

Some may disagree, but for for field or hunting rifles, I find 3 to 4 pounds to be safe. At least, that's my comfort level. Less than that is for target rifles.

I always liked 2 stage triggers as found on almost all rifles used in WW II and some after. I like the "additional" safety, but I always felt that it helped me make a long shot. I'm certain that's all in my head, but anything that helps is fine with me.
1 x